Microsoft Interview Questions & Reviews in Seattle, WA

3.2

298 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Had an interview on undergraduate school campus and then was flown to seattle for an on campus interview. While in seattle, they had put me in the wrong group so I was being interviewed by test/developers who were not prepared to ask PM questions. But over all all of the interviewees were very nice and easy to talk to which was good.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an algorithm for an elevator control system   Answer Question

Senior Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Got contacted by HR and took the telephonic few days later, was flown into Seattle(all expenses paid) for face to face. This is the lengthiest face to face you will find, some repetitive questions, for some reason I think Microsoft interviewers really want you to follow their chain of thought, there are 10 ways to solve a problem and would like to hear till you get to their way, the interview as such was not difficult but tedious because after 2 different hourly technical interviews your brain needs a break but it goes on and on followed by lunch interview and few more technical and hiring manager etc etc. If you really want to judge the technical skills an hour is just enough or may be two at max, no point in leaving someone brain-dead and still follow up with more interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult as such they really are not doing any rocket science, but if they are picky on some technology they will grill you on it, ex. f5 load balancers, if its on your resume better know it in and out and i dont mean load balancing methods, much beyond that. Questions such as application slowness issues through F5.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

There is phone interview first. It helps people in each side to know other better. Candidate also gets chance to ask about details about the work.

Then there is onsite interview with 3-4 rounds. Candidates are asked about algorithm, coding, design questions. Algorithms are not so hard, but need some thinking to come out good solution. Candidates are asked about understanding about programming language and database.

If everything goes good, candidates will see the hire manage at last. Then wait for 1 - 2 weeks for the offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I attended a conference and noted down the presenter's email id as I was really impressed with the work they were doing. When looking for full time, I contacted the person for any openings in their team. Fortunately, I heard back from them and got a phone screen schedule within one week.

Phone Screen was easy and mainly focused on the projects i wrote in my resume and some algorithmic problems related with those projects.

Within one week, I heard back from them that I was through first round and need to come to Seattle for face to face interview. They were really helpful in scheduling the interview according to my convenience.

Microsoft takes care of their their employees and potential employees as well in my case. Wonderful and systematic scheduling. I landed in Seattle.

Whole day was set aside for interviews, I had 5 in total including the famous 5th interview which is a positive sign as mentioned by many here. First interview, little variation on the level order traversal which i was able to code it with some help from the recruiter who was really nice. You will have to write the code on board so I would suggest do some "Actual" coding preferably on some IDE which shows only syntactical errors and runs the program. Eclipse is sometimes too helpful which let's us forget minor mistakes.

Second round was a real life project problem related with quick ip lookup, for which I have default solution, Tries. I told each and every pros and cons of using tries and the interviewer was satisfied. I stumbled a little while implementing it but eventually was able to do that with of course the help of interviewer.

Oh yeah one more thing each interview is approximately 45 mins to 60 mins long and lunch time discussion is also part of the recruiting process. So don't lose your head thinking that it's not part of the process.

3rd interview which included the lunch discussion as i mentioned above. I was not aware of it but since interviewer only discussed my projects on resume, i was happy to talk about them. But was really thinking why the lunch is so much work. Later i realised when interviewer said, let's go back to the office and continue the discussion. This was the toughest round as interviewer went in to very specific details about my projects so one tip do remember some of the tools names, just to name drop them ;)

4th round was a short one as the 3rd one went for one and half hours. This one was comparatively lighter and mainly focused on design problems.

Then came, the nerve wrecking wait as they told me to wait so that they all can discuss how i performed and decide on the last interview with the 2nd line manager. Thankfully manager came soon and ask me to wait for 2nd line manager. That discussion was very informal sort as he was selling me Microsoft and why I should come and work there. Happy sign always ! :)

Then I came back to my awesome hotel as I had my flight back same day in the evening.

Almost next day itself the HR contacted me and I missed her call. I really thought I did'nt get through but thankfully Hr called me back next day and told me I am through !!

Only advice I can give you is "CODE" ! there is no way around it! If you want to work as SDE you need to know Algorithms and Data Structures ! Language is no issue but you must know how to implement it. At least able to discuss why to us and why not to use a particular data structure.

Interview Questions
    • Very Detailed discussion on most interesting project in your career   Answer Question
    It's Microsoft, they take care of it very well. Didnt negotiate as the offer was above market trend.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
      L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
      L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
      L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)
        Answer Question

too low salary

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Hired on the spot after a long sales interview. campus tour

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position at this company?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

4 rounds of interviews. First to find a solution to a Sudoku. Second round is to give you a word and a 4 * 4 grid with each square is an character, you can go up, down, left, and right, to judge whether the word can be found in this grid. Third round is to design an online shopping system. Final Round is to find all prime numbers from 1 to 1000.

Interview Questions
    • The second round, give you a word and a 4 * 4 grid with each square is an character, you can go up, down, left, and right, to judge whether the word can be found in this grid.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

I dropped my resume at campus fair and went to Seattle for a group interview.

There 4 rounds of interview. 2 of them are coding and the other 2 rounds are testing.

Software Development Engineer Intern Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

I applied online, they contacted me and set up a phone interview. after that they flew me to Seattle for a day of 4 back to back interviews.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!