Microsoft

3.3

309 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Had 5 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers talk to each other while you are taking a break before the next one comes to get you. Mix of personality/behavioral and "What would you do in this scenario..." questions. Very laid back interviewers dress is casual and you can just act like you're having a normal conversation... while also writing code on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Question about Data encryption over HTTPS websites and he drilled really deep asking questions like how secret and private keys work, how the secret key is shared, and how encryption of data actually takes place on websites.   View Answer
    not much negotiation as it was for an internship

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Initially contacted via University Recruiting and invited to come to University campus for 30 min interview. This first interview was strictly behavioral, mostly just a screening. Was then invited to fly out for the final round of interviews. Had 4 back to back interviews and was asked to present a 20 minute presentation on something I am passionate about. Then heard back within 3 days of interviewing and accepted an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about the embedded system within a Coke Freestyle machine, what would you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

For Summer Internship. First stage of interview conducted on my college campus with a standard technical question: find the sum of scores of every sub-array axb within array NxN.

Second stage was conducted in Seattle, four interviews all 1:1 with breaks in between. Some asked coding questions, other more conceptual problem solving questions but usually relating to job-related tasks.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a Binary Search Tree problem, where you were to search the tree and determine if it was indeed a Binary search tree. However, the interviewer ignored me the entire interview and proceeded to spend the entire time perusing Yahoo groups, only glancing up a few times and to state at the end he wasn't satisfied with my solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I applied on the college job board and got an email from the recruiter a couple days later for some positions and signed up for an interview time for the next week. Got to the on-campus interview and talked a bit about my prior experience and internships, why Microsoft, and then what I wanted to do to change the world. Half-way through the 30 minute interview the interviewer asked me a coding question that I promptly failed after writing meaningless loops for a recursion problem.

Overall I felt like I had a tough interview question and a tough/apathetic interviewer. He started checking his phone once I started writing on the whiteboard and clearly seemed more focused on getting the interviews done on time so he wouldn't be late for the next ones.

Interview Questions
    • Given a 2D array with increasing integers, find a way to traverse clock-wise and print the outside of the matrix first, and then the second layer, until the center values.   Answer Question

New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The first step of the process was a campus interview. The interviewer was really nice and enthusiastic about my past experience and projects. He adapted the coding question to the fact that I was not a CS major, which made it pretty easy.
    Then I went for onsite interviews: 4 interviews with different members of the same team, mostly design and code review questions. Also a few questions on scalability

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an on campus interview and several weeks later, I got a on-site opportunity.
    On campus: resume related questions, and one coding test (string related)

On-site interview: 4 rounds
    resume related questions + coding
    coding question 1: anagram related
    coding question 2: OS related
    coding question 3: BST related
    coding question 4: OS related

2 days after on-site, I got an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

All day interview, even during the lunch. So be ready to answer questions while hungry. The day consist of four one on one interviews. The accent for some interviewers can be difficult to understand so be sure to ask questions to get clarification.

Senior Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Got contacted by HR and took the telephonic few days later, was flown into Seattle(all expenses paid) for face to face. This is the lengthiest face to face you will find, some repetitive questions, for some reason I think Microsoft interviewers really want you to follow their chain of thought, there are 10 ways to solve a problem and would like to hear till you get to their way, the interview as such was not difficult but tedious because after 2 different hourly technical interviews your brain needs a break but it goes on and on followed by lunch interview and few more technical and hiring manager etc etc. If you really want to judge the technical skills an hour is just enough or may be two at max, no point in leaving someone brain-dead and still follow up with more interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult as such they really are not doing any rocket science, but if they are picky on some technology they will grill you on it, ex. f5 load balancers, if its on your resume better know it in and out and i dont mean load balancing methods, much beyond that. Questions such as application slowness issues through F5.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I attended a conference and noted down the presenter's email id as I was really impressed with the work they were doing. When looking for full time, I contacted the person for any openings in their team. Fortunately, I heard back from them and got a phone screen schedule within one week.

Phone Screen was easy and mainly focused on the projects i wrote in my resume and some algorithmic problems related with those projects.

Within one week, I heard back from them that I was through first round and need to come to Seattle for face to face interview. They were really helpful in scheduling the interview according to my convenience.

Microsoft takes care of their their employees and potential employees as well in my case. Wonderful and systematic scheduling. I landed in Seattle.

Whole day was set aside for interviews, I had 5 in total including the famous 5th interview which is a positive sign as mentioned by many here. First interview, little variation on the level order traversal which i was able to code it with some help from the recruiter who was really nice. You will have to write the code on board so I would suggest do some "Actual" coding preferably on some IDE which shows only syntactical errors and runs the program. Eclipse is sometimes too helpful which let's us forget minor mistakes.

Second round was a real life project problem related with quick ip lookup, for which I have default solution, Tries. I told each and every pros and cons of using tries and the interviewer was satisfied. I stumbled a little while implementing it but eventually was able to do that with of course the help of interviewer.

Oh yeah one more thing each interview is approximately 45 mins to 60 mins long and lunch time discussion is also part of the recruiting process. So don't lose your head thinking that it's not part of the process.

3rd interview which included the lunch discussion as i mentioned above. I was not aware of it but since interviewer only discussed my projects on resume, i was happy to talk about them. But was really thinking why the lunch is so much work. Later i realised when interviewer said, let's go back to the office and continue the discussion. This was the toughest round as interviewer went in to very specific details about my projects so one tip do remember some of the tools names, just to name drop them ;)

4th round was a short one as the 3rd one went for one and half hours. This one was comparatively lighter and mainly focused on design problems.

Then came, the nerve wrecking wait as they told me to wait so that they all can discuss how i performed and decide on the last interview with the 2nd line manager. Thankfully manager came soon and ask me to wait for 2nd line manager. That discussion was very informal sort as he was selling me Microsoft and why I should come and work there. Happy sign always ! :)

Then I came back to my awesome hotel as I had my flight back same day in the evening.

Almost next day itself the HR contacted me and I missed her call. I really thought I did'nt get through but thankfully Hr called me back next day and told me I am through !!

Only advice I can give you is "CODE" ! there is no way around it! If you want to work as SDE you need to know Algorithms and Data Structures ! Language is no issue but you must know how to implement it. At least able to discuss why to us and why not to use a particular data structure.

Interview Questions
    • Very Detailed discussion on most interesting project in your career   Answer Question
    It's Microsoft, they take care of it very well. Didnt negotiate as the offer was above market trend.