Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Attorney Interview

Attorney
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Microsoft's in-person interview process is a series of 1:1 discussions with people of different levels within the organization that you are applying to. All aspects of the day are included in the interview process, including the semi-casual lunch that you will have. Throughout the day, people who interviewed you write comments about you into an online tool so that others interviewing you can better focus their questioning to areas of interest. In addition, interviewers also indicate whether they think you are a "hire" or "no hire". While it won't be on your interview schedule, there is an "as appropriate" interview at the end of the day, which is based on whether interviewers are suggesting that you be hired. So if you get an interview at the end of the day that's not on your schedule you should take that as a good sign, although not a guarantee of an offer.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Software Development Interview

Software Development
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – Did one interview with me on campus, and then flew me out for a weekend. While there I was interviewed by 4 or 5 different people. Once the interviews were done, I waited (along with a group of others who were interviewing) for decisions to be made. As we left they gave offers to some of us.

Interview Question – How would you create an algorithm to sort wine?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had an interview on undergraduate school campus and then was flown to seattle for an on campus interview. While in seattle, they had put me in the wrong group so I was being interviewed by test/developers who were not prepared to ask PM questions. But over all all of the interviewees were very nice and easy to talk to which was good.

Interview Question – How would you design an algorithm for an elevator control system   Answer Question

Microsoft Interview

Microsoft
Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details – Microsoft process professional but slow. After initial interview screen they loop 2 to 3 candidates for a position. You meet with 3-4 people that work with the position you're applying. If the interview is going well they will let you know you will be meeting with additional person that wasn't on the initial interview list. This is normally the "AA "As Appropriate" They normally have 7-10 years experience at the company are director level or above. Normally they are your hiring managers skip level but not always. This interview is to look beyond the job you're applying and they want to figure out if you're a long term fit for the company.

Interview Question – What is a product you love but is marketed very badly? How would you market it differently?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I held out for signing bonus 15% of salary.

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Lead Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Lead
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was very impressed with the efficiency of the hiring process.
After submitting my resume on Microsoft.com/jobs, I did not hear from the team I applied to. But within a week, I was contacted by a different team about a job that was a better fit. There was a technical phone screen which included homework to write code and email it in. Then I was invited to fly to Redmond for an interview. I met with six interviewers in one day, which included my manager, a couple peers, and a direct report. It was a grueling day, but there were no big surprises or questions I was not prepared for. During the interviews, it became clear to both me and to the interviewers that I was qualified for more than the position they were hiring for. They had the flexibility to change the scope of the job (and the level) to better fit my qualifications.
The whole process - from first visiting the web site to getting an offer took about a month.

Interview Question – There was a detailed technical question about a test strategy for a complex system built with a domain-specific language. When I answered in general terms, the interviewer kept pressing for more specifics and detailed examples. I finally realized that she didn't really understand the problem. I confronted her with "This is your job, isn't it? And you don't know how to do it!" She admitted I was right.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for special needs on a relocation package.

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview Details – This is just a phone screen in which the interviewer asked basic questions. I was actually not very interested because I had just learned that 18,000 people are being laid off from their jobs. One interesting question was: If a single bit has two possible values (0 or 1) than how many possible values in an 8-bit byte?

Interview Question – Write a function to remove duplicates from a list of characters.   View Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Interview Details – It takes 2 weeks, the hiring process is standard, nothing out of ordinary. They flew me up there from bay area in sf ,ca. The questions mainly are technical question, which is pretty simple. Most of managers dont remember some of the stuff themselves. But be prepare with some of ur projects and technical terms and process.

Explorer Interview

Explorer
Redmond, WA

Interview Details – I had a really positive interview experience. I gave my resume to the recruiter at our school's tech fair. I was called for a follow-up basic behavioral interview. Two months later, I was flown to Seattle to interview with a lot of other Explorer potential candidates. They treat you really nice (think king-size hotel room), taxi vouchers, limos to the interview site, and big food stipends)

I had 3 interviews: 1 PM, 1 Dev, 1 Test. Got my results in a couple days!

Interview Question – How would you redesign the file system?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. They had a very good offer (salary, stipends, benefits, etc).

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE)
Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter through school. Had a simple HR screening interview before onsite. Onsite had 4 interviews, questions were mostly algorithmic.
Interview questions:
1. Given an unsorted array of numbers from 1-n with a number missing, find the missing number.
2. Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.
3. I forget the 3rd one.
4. Given a matrix of 1s and 0s, replace every value in a column or row with 0 if 0 is in it.

Interview Question – Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.   View Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Redmond, WA

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – After a 30 minute phone interview, I was asked to come in for an 8-hour interview in Redmond. I was interviewed by 6 people on the team and even interviewed during lunch. I found out later on that they were really looking for a programmer/writer so that they could get away with paying a dev the pay of a tech writer.

Interview Question – The most difficult was when a programmer came in to interview me and asked me to read code on the board. I am a technical writer, so I didn't read code.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!