Microsoft Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

1,180 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Duty Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Two Phone interviews, was not picked up for an on site interview. First phone screen with an HR rep, second phone screen with a hiring manager. The timing of the second interview was unexpected, so I wasn't as well-prepared as I wanted to be. Had to actively follow up to determine that I hadn't been selected for the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what I could offer to the company to make them want to keep me around for 10 years.   Answer Question

Senior Operations Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was previously a consultant with the team that hired me so I did not go through the traditional recruiting process. I submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager after she reached out and then she had the recruiter set up the interview loops.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant, I was always willing to say "yes" to all the project requests that were thrown my way so I could delight my client. As an FTE, I would be asked to take on work that we are not resourced for or do not align to the overall business strategy - how do you challenge the requesting party, especially when they manage your team's budget?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus.

Technical Writer/RTG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

I was referred to this role by a staffing agency. The process with this manager was very easy. She had been on the job for 2 months before bringing me on-board, so she was still learning the ropes herself. I was hired with only one interview. She proved to be an uncommunicative manager, and one whom I wouldn't recommend. I don't think she had much of a handle on what the job would entail for a writer. She is nice and pleasant to work with though.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. The hiring manager asked some general questions about my background and skills, without explaining much about the role.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2012.

one phone interview then 6 on site interviews. The interviews cover all aspects for software (design, coding, testing and behavioral questions)/ It was so freaking easy, a lot of white board coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • None, all the questions were so freaking easy to the point that I was bored.   Answer Question
    They offered me 150K base so I was happy with that given I only had 2 years of experience.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

All day interview, even during the lunch. So be ready to answer questions while hungry. The day consist of four one on one interviews. The accent for some interviewers can be difficult to understand so be sure to ask questions to get clarification.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Fairly straightforward - like any other company. A phone screen - followed by 5 rounds on site.
    Questions were of the following nature: Design a cache subsystem, spiral order printing of a matrix, regex implementation for * and ?, Binary Tree rotation question, How do you implement shuffle in a media player and how to know if a graph is bi-partite.

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initially applied online, didn't get a response for a good month or so. A recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a college campus interview that was composed of straightforward CS questions (e.g. difference between an array and linked list) and a brainteaser (which I did not get). Same recruiter followed up a couple of days later letting me know I'd been selected for on-site interviews. A week later or so I flew to Microsoft HQ in Redmond, where I had three 45-minute interviews: one focused on testing (e.g. design a remote control and how to test it), one focused on software development (focused heavily on hashing and string manipulation), and one focused on program management (e.g. how would you change a product and why). Received a call with my offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Given 2 strings, remove every instance of every letter in the second string from the first string. Then do it without shifting letters in the first string or creating another string.
      2) What is the most efficient way of checking if a letter in the second string is in the first string in the previous problem? What if you're using all ASCII characters? What if you're using the entire Unicode character set?
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   View Answer
    No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Felt highly disorganized. Issues with email/reminder system and several communication problems with pre-interview process. Might have been something like a bad email responsible, but either way, the experience was not good, and resulted in stressors such as "are you coming to the interview next week?" (I had no idea...), and an unfortunate surprise that I was being interviewed for SDET, not SDE, which was something I had explicitly not indicated an interest in.

There were 4 interviews. Was late to one of them thanks to the whole process starting late starting with interviewer #1... could tell this made a negative impression, but there was nothing to be done.

One interviewer really did not appreciate being asked about stack rank and took it as a sign of fear /poor work ethic, although others were more receptive.

Overall, not impressed and felt like they wasted my time, but the feeling was apparently mutual. They were very good about reimbursements and accommodations though, but I wouldn't consider interviewing there again.

Interview Questions
    • There was some sorting thing using an array. It's been a bit too long so I don't really remember. Also some test-related questions for which I was unprepared.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

I wen through the full interview process, from recruiter screen up to the full day in person interviews in Bellevue (the position was for the Dynamics AX platform).

My initial technical screen was pretty standard, the question was determining if two strings were anagrams of each other. Aside from this I was able to speak with the senior engineer who was interviewing my about the position and some pro's and con's which was really great. He provided some good insight for me.

After the technical screen I was invited in for full day of interviews in Bellevue. I flew out to Seattle and stayed for 2 nights. The entire travel process was great, they covered everything and put me up
    in a nice hotel. The interview day was long, I had a series of interviews each testing different areas.
    All of the interviews were with senior engineers with 5 - 20 years experience.
    The first interview covered SQL, I was given a schema and asked to point out any issues/improvements and then write some queries.
    The next 2 covered CS based questions like algorithms, runtime analysis .. etc.
    Next I had a lunch interview where I was able to talk with another engineer about his role and get a little more of a sense of the day to day life.
    Finally I had one more algorithms based interview and that was the end.

Overall I found that the interview process was very well done and the hr staff at Microsoft were really easy to deal with. When it comes to the atmosphere at Microsoft it has a really corporate feel to it and truthfully it was not my top choice having been there but that's more of a personal preference.

Interview Questions
    • Given a number write a function to convert that number to a string that would be seen on a cheque.
      Example:
      2376 becomes two thousand three hundred and seventy six.
        Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!