Microsoft Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2014

3.6

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Was referred by a Microsoft employee for a consulting position. After being contacted multiple times by different recruiters, MS flew me to a branch office for an onsite interview. Only one person showed up to interview me the entire day, and I was left sitting in a conference room the rest of the time. The interview with the practice leader went well, then I heard nothing for six months. After being contacted by the employee who referred me, I emailed the recruiter asking if I was still being considered. I received an apology and was told there was an internal reorg and they just forgot to tell me the position was closed.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I was made aware of the job through a recruiter. I was interviewing for a senior consultant position with Microsoft. My area is Microsoft Dynamics AX. I had a phone interview and invitation to the tech center in Texas. The process was to go through about 5 to 6 interviews, one after another. It was a very tough day. I was a bit concerned because at the time I had a lot of ERP experience but not that much AX experience. Well, at the end of the day I was told that I was liked and awaited a job offer. The offer never came. They basically said, not the right time.

Interview Questions
    • Microsoft's questions for technical people are apparently, legendary. However, I was to be an ERP consultant so I did not receive that difficult of questions because I knew the ERP space. However, they did try to work in a white board exercise so be prepared to do that. My question was how would I go about implementing a multi-site engagement.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

MicroSoft really does have a machine when it comes to the interview process. It started when I got an invite from an internal MS Recruiter on LinkedIn. After initially turning him away, he was persistent and we had a short discussion on the phone. This was followed by a more formal phone discussion where he outlined the job and what they were looking for to see if I might have an interest. He allowed me to think about it for a weekend and we decided to move forward.

That was followed up with a phone interview with a Sr. Consultant that was focused on technical questions on the system primarily along with some soft skill questions.

I had another phone interview with a consultant and was then handed off to a Staffing Consultant Team who arranged for me to have an onsite interview.

I flew in the night before and got into their office early on a Friday. I met with the Consulting Manager who interviewed me, followed by 2 other interviewers. It was approximately a half day process in their office.

They followed up with a response the early part of the next week.

Truthfully, I probably had as many questions for them as they had for me. And I believed that worked in my favor. I did research on LinkedIn for the final three interviewers to get an understanding of where they may be coming from.

Interview Questions
    • Whether or not I minded working on a team.   View Answer
    They indicated that there really wasn't any room salary wise on their offer (which was very fair for the position). After initially making some requests, and after discussing it with my wife, we decided that their offer was generous and we didn't need to negotiate any further.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Had six rounds of interview. It was straight forward. Had a Technical round and then puzzeles interview round and then meet some management and leaders. The lunch was informal and was able to talk general work stuff as well. The turn around time was quick. Did not get a chance to negeotiate much

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Good hiring process , multiple rounds , each round is equally important and need to do good in all the rounds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview lead was provided through posting on Facebook and through a friend who already works in the group I wanted in. The team was the Services (consulting) group. Had 4 interviewers each focusing on a different technical area (from what I listed in my resume) - in addition to technical questions, a lot of "soft-skills" probes to find out how to handle typical project situations.

Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describ, in detail, the differences between the Java VM/Runtime and the .NET runtime.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

The outsourced HR/Recruiting staff is abysmal, committing all sorts of offenses ranging from misspelling of my name to outright failure to communicate interview timing. I was extremely underwhelmed at first, but found that if you can make it past them the Microsoft employees themselves are far more competent. Most interviews (except with the management staff) were very technical in nature. Expect to do some whiteboarding, and also expect that you won't be able to answer every question. One of my interviews seemed to be designed to push and push me to the point where in the last 10 minutes I said a whole lot of "I don't knows," and was absolutely sure I bombed it. To my surprise, I got an offer anyway. So don't get yourself down if you don't know everything.

Interview Questions
    There was no clear "negotiation" phase, and the process seemed geared toward moving directly from interviewing to an offer. Nobody asked me "what are your salary expectations?" or "what would it take to get you on board?" or any similar questions. Instead, they made an offer, and I negotiated from there. I got the distinct impression that negotiation is something that is rarely accommodated -- either you want to work for Microsoft or you don't. Still, I'm sure if you have a unique skill set and they REALLY want you, there is a little bit of wiggle room.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Process is very straight forward. Recruiting Consultant will perform the initial interview via telephone. From there you will be either recommended for a technical interview or will be dropped. In my case I was recommended and had a tech interview that went very bad. The tech interviewer (who was a Principal Consultant) was 15 mins late and did not have any prepared questions. The entire interview was off-the-cuff and very unprofessional. I was not given a chance to move on in the interview process with the Hiring Manager, which is just as well as the entire tech interview process left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

6 interviews with a blend of technical and business/consulting type questions. HR when I was originally hired was much better and more professional. Now they seemed to have outsourced HR to a company that was clearly the lowest bidder. They mess up interviews times etc. - completely unprofessional - but you get what you pay for.

Interview Questions
    • A couple of off the wall questions like "what are you reading now". Technical questions in can be challenging, but generally not an issue if you are smart and know your stuff.   Answer Question
    Here is the deal - no real negotiation.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Head hunter contacted me and initiated the process. Then MS recuiters kept me updated and scheduled appointments.
    I had a meeting with my direct manager (will ask about salary expectations), then a technical interview with another consultant, and then an interview with HR and department manager.
    frequency of meetings was every 10 days approx.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario in which you were torn between customer needs and your company's needs.   Answer Question
    • Describe a one of your failures   Answer Question
    No negotiations. They asked my what my expectations were, and presented my a "take it or leave it" offer that was less then my declared expectations were

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!