Microsoft

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Senior Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward. I went in on an employee referral, so since I had already worked very closely with Microsoft consultants before on major projects for the federal government they already knew what I brought to the table. Since I'm the security side of technology I interviewed with a total of 7 people, one person that holds patents for encryption, another gentleman that is the lead security engineer for windows in Redmond. So needless to say that they were intense. Questions went from nuts and bolts all the way up to well what's the big picture. If you know what you are talking about and have the confidence then it shouldn't be a problem. One thing is, don't say you know something and then try to dance around the question if you don't know it then just say you don't know. They only reason I would say that finals day is difficult is because of how long a day it is when they say all day they mean 9-5!

Interview Question – To many to list!   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Interview Details – The outsourced HR/Recruiting staff is abysmal, committing all sorts of offenses ranging from misspelling of my name to outright failure to communicate interview timing. I was extremely underwhelmed at first, but found that if you can make it past them the Microsoft employees themselves are far more competent. Most interviews (except with the management staff) were very technical in nature. Expect to do some whiteboarding, and also expect that you won't be able to answer every question. One of my interviews seemed to be designed to push and push me to the point where in the last 10 minutes I said a whole lot of "I don't knows," and was absolutely sure I bombed it. To my surprise, I got an offer anyway. So don't get yourself down if you don't know everything.

Interview Question – What does the yield keyword in C# do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no clear "negotiation" phase, and the process seemed geared toward moving directly from interviewing to an offer. Nobody asked me "what are your salary expectations?" or "what would it take to get you on board?" or any similar questions. Instead, they made an offer, and I negotiated from there. I got the distinct impression that negotiation is something that is rarely accommodated -- either you want to work for Microsoft or you don't. Still, I'm sure if you have a unique skill set and they REALLY want you, there is a little bit of wiggle room.

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interview lead was provided through posting on Facebook and through a friend who already works in the group I wanted in. The team was the Services (consulting) group. Had 4 interviewers each focusing on a different technical area (from what I listed in my resume) - in addition to technical questions, a lot of "soft-skills" probes to find out how to handle typical project situations.

Overall a great experience.

Interview Question – Describ, in detail, the differences between the Java VM/Runtime and the .NET runtime.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted by a recruiter from my LinkedIn profile. Consistently well-organized and professional process. Three phone interviews - the first describing how they felt my experience fit the position and the last two were more technical ensuring that I knew the product architecture using specific customer scenarios. I was then flown out to an office and had three seperate on-site interviews that focused mostly on consulting skill set. It was a well performed conversational interview process and a low-stress experience.

Interview Question – Have you delt with a difficult customer - what what the situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

Interview Details – 5 rounds

Interview Question – what are your strength and weakness   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Good hiring process , multiple rounds , each round is equally important and need to do good in all the rounds.

Interview Question – Puzzles , it was a long time back   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details – 6 interviews with a blend of technical and business/consulting type questions. HR when I was originally hired was much better and more professional. Now they seemed to have outsourced HR to a company that was clearly the lowest bidder. They mess up interviews times etc. - completely unprofessional - but you get what you pay for.

Interview Question – A couple of off the wall questions like "what are you reading now". Technical questions in can be challenging, but generally not an issue if you are smart and know your stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Here is the deal - no real negotiation.

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – MicroSoft really does have a machine when it comes to the interview process. It started when I got an invite from an internal MS Recruiter on LinkedIn. After initially turning him away, he was persistent and we had a short discussion on the phone. This was followed by a more formal phone discussion where he outlined the job and what they were looking for to see if I might have an interest. He allowed me to think about it for a weekend and we decided to move forward.

That was followed up with a phone interview with a Sr. Consultant that was focused on technical questions on the system primarily along with some soft skill questions.

I had another phone interview with a consultant and was then handed off to a Staffing Consultant Team who arranged for me to have an onsite interview.

I flew in the night before and got into their office early on a Friday. I met with the Consulting Manager who interviewed me, followed by 2 other interviewers. It was approximately a half day process in their office.

They followed up with a response the early part of the next week.

Truthfully, I probably had as many questions for them as they had for me. And I believed that worked in my favor. I did research on LinkedIn for the final three interviewers to get an understanding of where they may be coming from.

Interview Question – Whether or not I minded working on a team.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They indicated that there really wasn't any room salary wise on their offer (which was very fair for the position). After initially making some requests, and after discussing it with my wife, we decided that their offer was generous and we didn't need to negotiate any further.

Dallas, TX

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – I was made aware of the job through a recruiter. I was interviewing for a senior consultant position with Microsoft. My area is Microsoft Dynamics AX. I had a phone interview and invitation to the tech center in Texas. The process was to go through about 5 to 6 interviews, one after another. It was a very tough day. I was a bit concerned because at the time I had a lot of ERP experience but not that much AX experience. Well, at the end of the day I was told that I was liked and awaited a job offer. The offer never came. They basically said, not the right time.

Interview Question – Microsoft's questions for technical people are apparently, legendary. However, I was to be an ERP consultant so I did not receive that difficult of questions because I knew the ERP space. However, they did try to work in a white board exercise so be prepared to do that. My question was how would I go about implementing a multi-site engagement.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Interview Details – Had six rounds of interview. It was straight forward. Had a Technical round and then puzzeles interview round and then meet some management and leaders. The lunch was informal and was able to talk general work stuff as well. The turn around time was quick. Did not get a chance to negeotiate much

Interview Question – Puzzeles   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!