Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Interview Details – 4-5 people on the loop if you are external candidates

Interview Question – Product licensing questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Several telephone interviews including the HR recruiter and the hiring manager. Full day of interviews, six in total, including 90 minute interview at lunch. Whole process took several months. Interviews were nice but a bit cryptic. Difficult to tell what they were after. Would have helped both parties too have been transparent about needs and capabilities.

Interview Question – What is your leadership style?   Answer Question

Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter and then a group of interviews from the team you will hopefully work for

Interview Question – Tell me why you are the best candidate and who your leadership mentors are   View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interview, followed by on-site loop. Senior interviewers tend to be scheduled in the afternoon and for those who have passed initial rounds. Each intervewer covers different area.

Interview Question – How do you break a bad news to your boss?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

Interview Details – I have worked at Microsoft for 3 years as a vendor, so I'm accustomed to the culture and the PROCESS involved with everything. The interview process was no different. It included a rather challenging phone screen with Recruiting (very specific acronyms specific to the role I was interviewing for), then a wait for 3 weeks before an interview loop of 6 Director level or higher members of the team/extended team I'd be working on. Then, another 3 weeks of waiting before being invited to interview with the GM. The rest of the process was as I would have expected, but I was disappointed in the 30 minute final interview. The GM was completely unprepared, had not looked at my resume and had no meaningful questions to ask me. This was disappointing since I had had SO long to prepare and could have answered anything that came my way. When I followed up with Recruiting I was told it would take at least 2 weeks before I'd have an answer. Fortunately, the HIring Manager (whom I had worked with previously) set up a meeting with me the following week to let me know why they had gone with another candidate. I was relieved rather than disappointed! The entire process did nothing to excite me about working at Microsoft.

Interview Question – I was asked to rank our competitors in certain categories (relevant to the role) and then asked to rank Microsoft in the same categories.   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Depends on the position and the division. Our division has the two step of interview, which are senior mgr and director.

Interview Question – How do you realize the big win in the cloud market? Could you tell us the way of sales scenario?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – It was very good. I had an interview and ended up getting the job. Be confident and you will do great.

Interview Question – All questions were very fair, no unexpected ones   Answer Question

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional in managing interview process. You are at their mercy.
They scheduled interviews many times but call never happened at the scheduled time.

Interview Question – None   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Seoul (South Korea)

I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Interview Details – 6-8 interviews

Senior Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Interview Details – First HR interview by phone, then followed by in person interview

Interview Question – Describe the case you can prove that you are a self motivator   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Senior Manager interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.