Microsoft

Updated Aug 11, 2014

3.7

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Great set-up and follow-up. I went through three 1-hour long interviews and then a 2 hour long interview with a GM. Interviewers were professional, personal, interested and asked good questions.

Interview Questions
  • Mostly we talked through my experiences and resume.   View Answer
I negotiated a $5K bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very typical MS interview loop. Each interviewer has assigned questions. The more people you meet, the better, since the loop works like a set of hurdles. If you miss a hurdle, you get an early lunch.

Interview Questions
    • What startup would you build if you could?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

I was referred by an employee to the hiring manager who is in the process of creating a new group at Microsoft. He seemed very unprepared, was more concerned about the presentation he was about to make to other internal employees who were interested in the position. We spoke for about 45 minutes and he did most of the talking. He asked me to put together a one-pager on why I would be a good fit for the role, which I did, and then didn't hear back from him.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your marketing experience.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

After two phone screenings I had a full day of four interviews. The first was from a HR person looking for a 'fit'. The second was with the hiring manager for a chat about the role and to get a feel of me. Finally I was brought in and interviewed with a one person from the organization that I was joining and three from other groups. They asked the normal: how would you do in this role, describe other roles with failure or success. What kind of person are you - the normal stuff. Some good questions about my background experience though.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you tried to do in one of your teams but the rest of the team totally disagreed with you.   View Answer
    • If you were to start tomorrow, what would you do to make an immediate impact?   View Answer
    • How do you work in a matrix organization?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate everything but starting level - salary, bonus, starting date. I was told that there wasn't much room and my friends at Microsoft said two different things - one said 'don't try to negotiate' while the others said 'negotiate'. I think if they really want you, they will negotiate but understand that it takes management approval for much more than they offer so be conservative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2011.

I had 5 one-hour long interviews in the same day. Two weeks later I was contacted by the hiring manager, that told me I got selected for the job and the HR would schedule one additional interview with the General Manager of the department.
    For all 6 interviews the HR person asked me for 4 options of days that I could be available. Then, they returned with the date I should block. One day before the interview I received the name of the interviewer, time and place (building/room number). I had to walk towards each Office where the interviews were conducted.
    All interviewers were very cordial and gave me their full attention during the interview. I felt very well treated by them. The first interview was more about my personal preferences of communication, working environment and working style. The second interview was with a "future" peer that asked me technically questions aiming to verify my knowledge. The third and forth interviewers were with very Senior persons that talked about many things and I can't say what they were trying to check. My 5th interview in that day was with the hiring manager and it happened at 4 pm. At that time I was completely exhausted. The hiring manager was a fantastic character and he manage to make the interview very relaxed and enjoyable. At that time he already had received feedback from the other interviewers and he double checked some of my answers. He also asked me to say one or two sentences about each person I had the chance to talk with. He finished the interview with just 40 minutes rather than 1 hour. Initially, that bothered me because I concluded that I could be of no more interest to him. But, before I left his office he made clear that he was empathetic with my full day of interviews, with all the tension it generates and that I had showed to be a very good candidate, hence there were no need for prolonging the stress. He also told me to wait for 1 or 2 weeks while they would be interviewing two other candidates.
    The last interview happened about 2 weeks later and it was just 30 minutes. The General manager was very friendly and had a very impressive resume. She walked along her department aisles introducing me to other employees and also showed off 4 very cool special offices dedicated for special tasks performed by her team.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose that you are working in a very political environment, where people keep hidden agendas, they have no formal reasons to help you and your project depend on them. What do you do to move forward a project that you are responsible for considering that you have no authority over the people you depend upon?   View Answer

I decided to accept another offer I got from a different company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter who completed an initial phone screen. A week or so later, a phone interview was set up with the hiring manager, which went well. Then another week or so later, the recruiter called to schedule an in-person interview and begin travel arrangements.

Travel was rescheduled once due to a scheduling conflict with the hiring manager.

I flew out the day before and arrived at the office in the morning. The on-site interview began with the recruiter and then a series of peers to the role, a key customer to the role and finally the hiring manager. I was there for almost the entire day and pretty wiped out by the time I met the hiring manager... a little jet lagged too.

I thought everything went swimmingly, even the "bad cop" interviewer which MS is know to use in their interviewing process, until the end of the day... Questions throughout were focused and challenging. Conversations were engaging and friendly.

Ultimately, I was not made an offer but given good feedback as to why. Communication throughout was good. Travel coordination was simple and expense reimbursement was all automated and painless.

Their online systems used to manage the process were a bit tricky but usable.

Interview Questions
    • How would you develop a strategy to market this product?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter after the hiring manager was forwarded my resume in response to an internal email he sent out.

Had a phone interview with the recruiter - basic questions on work status, do you need a visa, why do you want this job etc. I think this is meant to assess fit and the recruiter was very nice and gave me lots of information on the team etc. However, the role itself was not very clear.

I heard back within 2-3 days and she set up a phone interview with someone in the team for a week later.

The phone interview was fine. Again, seemed more like a 'get to know you' fit type of interview. He was very willing to answer my questions about the work they did in the team. He gave me some information on the role.

Heard back from recruiter in 2-3 days and she set up another interview, this time with the hiring manager for another week down the line.

More fit questions. A little more on my experience and some situational questions. The hiring manager gave me job information that was different to what I had got the first time. Nevertheless, it seemed to go well.

Recruiter again got in touch within 2-3 days and said she would arrange a full interview loop - supposedly 4 interviews over 5 hours.

I went in a week later for the in-person interviews. Ended up having 7 interviews over the entire day. The interview process was very disorganized. Half the people interviewing me didn't seem to know till that they were going to have to do so and didn't have my resume or know who I was and what role I was being considered for. Some of the interviewers were not even related to the team I was considering. All in all, a shambles.

The interviews themselves were a mixture of fit, experience and case-study type questions. I was glad to have read up on the industry and knowing about the company. It was important to be able to relate my experience to the role because I don't have technology experience. One thing that was strange was that the hiring manager's manager gave me a third job description. So, it seemed like no one knew what they wanted this role to do. Not impressed!

I didn't get an offer - the reason they gave was that they went with an internal candidate. So, that's that! Though I do wonder why they interviewed me if they had an internal candidate lined up?

Interview Questions
    • What woudl you do if you were a company about to launch a new electronic product and on the eve of the launch, you were told that there was an Apple product being releasted? You have no information on it except that it may be a competitor to yours?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Initial telephone interview with the recruiter and hiring manager. Face-to-face full day interviews with 4-5 people. Total process took 3-4 weeks. Able to interview with multiple MSFT teams at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you were launching an underwater sonar drill. How would you market it?   Answer Question
    Signing bonus and stock options were negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

6-8 Multiple people in interview loop. Questions covered background experience, situational analysis to brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    • Brain teasers were ridiculous. If you're a fan of IQ test, then it's a great prep. I don't think these sort of questions really test anything other than the fact that you can see patterns and answer quizzes. I got multiple offers from Microsoft, but they could have done without these silly questions. I think smart, effective people come in many forms and factors. And there are many approaches to learning and to contributing. I think MSFT's downfall is in how they recruit. Not everyone on a team should be a hungry hyper 'A' type. What sort of team environment is that?   Answer Question
    Always negotiation and never accept 1st offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

The recruiter found me from my profile on LinkedIn so I was very flattered to be considered for a position I wasn't aware of. After an initial phone interview, I was brought to the office for a series of 1:1 interviews with the HR recruiter, the hiring manager, the organization GM and a cross-functional partner. I spent 1 hour with the hiring manager and 1/2 hour with each of the others. The interviews went well and I was getting a lot of positive verbal and non-verbal feedback during the interview. The conversations were not entirely formal Q & A format and I enjoyed the experience. I did get some questions around "how would you...?" so I asked a lot of clarifying and background questions before I answered. I had the impression that there was hesitancy to hire an external candidate as the hiring manager discussed with me that the 2 most recent hires had been external and they were not getting up to speed quick enough after 3 months or so. I tried to allieviate these reservations by emphasizing my many years of experience, how I am a self-starter and come from a prior company with a complicated matrix organization that is in perpetual change mode, etc. Alas, they offered to an internal candidate although the recruiter indicated they really liked me and it was a 'tough decision' and that if they 'had 2 positions they would have hired me,' etc. I have been staying in touch with this recruiter and continue to apply to positions for which I am qualified. I have not received any contact for any of these positions yet so far.