Microsoft Senior Product Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

17 interviews

3.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

First, a third party recruiter contacted me and we talked for about 45 minutes. Then a Microsoft employee recruiter interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Then the hiring manager interviewed me. Then they flew both me and my spouse out for a two-day interview process.

Interview Questions
  • Most of the questions were experienced based (tell me about a time when .....) or behavioral based (what would you do if...) Toughest question was when one of the interviewers started out the interview by telling me that he didn't think I was right for the job.   View Answer
I did not negotiate, the package was more than I asked for.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Very well organized team arranging the whole process from end to end. Very open to questions around how things work and very detailed description of the role and responsibilities and how I would be measured.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the first four new initiatives you would do based on your knowledge of the product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Abstract questions to understand thought process.
    Push the candidates to see their tolerance for roadblocks
    Dealing with ambiguity

Interview Questions
    • Dealing with Ambiguity - what if this doesn't work? what if budget is cut? What if you have a new manager every 6 months?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

9 interviews in one day. they forgot to get me lunch. pretty weird in some ways. Interviews got better as I progressed. First interviews were very confrontational I thought (maybe because I was coming from 'the Valley'. Two people asked me some of the famous questions (why are manholes round), and I was like 'are you kidding me?' Later interviews focused more on business and relevance of my previous experiences.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how many french fries McDonalds produces in a day.   View Answer
    It was ok. The recruiter was actually really good. I negotiated most on my relocation package, and I felt like I was successful. One thing nobody tells you about Microsoft is that they have these very arcane levels and corresponding pay/perks, including the magical 'partner' level. I learned all of that after I came to Microsoft.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

met with 5 different people - some peers in team, others peers in different teams. If you get through these, you will meet a senior level person (the 'as appropriate') who will evaluate you for overall fit for Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • None difficult per se, just very behavioral in nature: "how would you size this market?", for example.   Answer Question
    difficult to negotiate a lot on salary as they put you into a level band - but worth effort. Much more flexibility around 1-time expenditures, like signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2009.

Usually about 5 interviews or so. Quite structured process. Interviewers usually have a focus area and potentially primed questions to understand aptitude, competency, interpersonal skills etc. I was already in Microsoft so the process is already well understood. But for people outside Microsoft, the process can appear daunting with little communication until the end. Microsoft don't really pay the best but the skills you gain in shipping software worldwide is incredible. Don't stay there long - other employers see a long tenure at Microsoft as a negative and a likelihood that you wont be able to cut it without all the vendor support you get there.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Sent resume through campus career fair, scheduled a on campus interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

I had submitted a resume online back in December 2012, but was first contacted by a recruiter in early February. She emailed me, and we set up a conference call for the next day. After chatting with her about the position and my resume, she had indicated that the hiring manager (a Director) was interested in my background, and we set up a call for two days later between myself and the hiring manager.

That phone conversation went well also. Talked with the hiring manager about the position, his expectations, their products, the corporate structure of their team and how they are organized by product line. At the end of the call, the manager indicated that he wanted me to fly up to Redmond for face-to-face interviews, and he was interested in me due to the fact that I was currently working with a competitor, involved in the same type of software licensing realm this his team is involved with.

The on-site interviews went very well. It was a long day (5 one hour interviews), but it felt like they went by very quickly. I interviewed with the hiring manager again, a Sr. Product Manager who would be one of my peers, and other product managers and directors from other teams. Most of the interviews were very relaxed, get-to-know-you type conversations. The peer asked more business case questions, where there was not really a correct answer, but testing to see how you think through the problem. I thought I was a little shaky on this part, trying to get a feel if I was answering the question in the manner that he was seeking.

I flew back home, and was informed that the General Manager (the hiring manager's boss) was out of town while I was there, and they would make a decision on the 3 final candidates who would get to do a final phone conversation with the GM. Fortunately, I was selected, and was set up for a phone call with him the following week. I think this is the "final stamp of approval" type scenario. The phone conversation went very well with the GM, just like the others. He was doing more of the selling Microsoft and living in Seattle, telling me about his life experiences and how he ended up with Microsoft. He then did a little testing on my passion for technology, which is very important at Microsoft. We talked about different products (not related to what the role would be involved with), asking me questions about how I would approach competitively positioning the products. At the end of the call, we discussed salary expectations, and it ended with him letting me know that they would get back to me soon with a decision.

Two days later, I received an email from the recruiter with their offer. Based on the salary averages for the position that I saw here on Glassdoor, it was pretty much on that mark. I negotiated for a little more, and they met my counter-offer the next day. At this point, I accepted the job.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. And the recruiter and others who organized the interview process were always quick to respond to questions and informed me of all details throughout.

Interview Questions
    • How would you position the Microsoft Surface to the market, and what other considerations should be taken into account (in relation to other Microsoft products)?   Answer Question
    I countered their initial offer with a figure $6k higher. They accepted my counter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

8 interviews over the course of a day. As one interview finishes, they send mail to the other interviewers so that they can continue to drill you on areas where more info is needed or their appears to be weakness. Also, each interviewer may be asked to focus on a particular area...Ex. Intellectual horsepower, hypotheticals or a case, or other specific areas. Interviews may be stopped midway through if the first couple don't go well. Do google searches for more info regarding the Microsoft Interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a hypothetical:

Starbucks is currently selling through their own cafes. They are considering selling their coffee in supermarkets. Should they? Why or why not? What will happen and why?
        View Answer
    Offer was not negotiable. Microsoft will try to come as close to a market salary as required and raises from then on will be minimal. However, the benefits are good and in general I felt fairly compensated

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Some of the interviewers were fair and wanted to see the positive, some were trying to trip you up and wanted to see how you would react to stressful situations.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!