Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

All day interview loop consisted of a total of 5 people from various teams including Development, Quality Assurance, Management, Partner teams, and Management. The loop is timed, spending no more than 30 - 45 minutes with each person. Some of the questions were technical in nature, others are more scenario-based.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

There were two 30-minute screens with recruiters. They were followed by four 45-minute interviews on 1:1 basis with a team of Directors, Senior Directors, and a GM. All questions were behavioral or situational. There were no case or critical thinking questions. Also, there were no exams or assessments. The interviewers were coordinated with their questions to develop holistic perspective.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Very slow to set up, had 7 people in the interview loop all asking the same questions about prioritization and how to mitigate. Performed initial phone screen with an individual then came in and had one hour 1:1's with 6 other individuals that were part of the same team.

Interview Questions

• How would you mitigate having 2 immediate deliverable's.   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews. 5 onsite interviews. The whole process took 1 month. Microsoft is very efficient with their recruiting process and they kept me informed throughout. All the people I met knew their stuff and had an interesting conversation with them. They were friendly.

Interview Questions

• We are a world class team with each member best in their area. What do you bring to the table that is world class?h   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Interview

phone call, follow up in person to fly out, met with managers at different locations, did not meet with actual manager that would manage me which was weird. Very quick response after interview but a very very long time between that follow up and the actual offer due to the background verification, this can take up to 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• situational questions from job verification (not difficult but expect them)   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation possible

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Hiring at MSFT is fair, well-organized, and it extracts what we need to know from potential new-hires. It may seem grueling to the candidates, but we get about 6 hrs to determine if you are awesome and can help us move the needle.

Interview Questions

• In 2005, I didn't know much about replicated systems and how to upgrade a server farm, but now this seems to be common knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted about a job opening by someone I knew in the company. I uploaded my resume for the position, and a few weeks later was contacted by HR to be screened, and invited in to be interviewed. One of the interviews was conducted via Skype, but the others were in-person. The interviewing was thoughtful, and questions included my skills knowledge to fulfill the technical aspect of the role, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and questions that would indicate how well I might fit into the team.

Interview Questions

• Not a difficult question nor unexpected, but I was asked what was the highest level executive to which I had ever presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Fairly rigorous, but expected for a tech company. 6-7 interviewers not counting the phone screening by recruiters. Interview lasts all day and if you get the 6th or 7th interview, it means you made it to the "as appropriate" and your chances are good. Some interviewers tend to come across as arrogant and try to make you feel inferior; avoid those teams and give the recruiters that feedback. I called it quits on one interview loop after meeting an extremely arrogant and egotistical interviewer who frankly stated he was far better than anyone on that team.

Interview Questions

• How do you gain consensus?   Answer Question
    • What are the processes for delivering a project?   1 Answer
    • How do you build a backlog?   1 Answer
    • How do you design a service/system?   1 Answer
    • How do you manage your devs?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

Travel and accommodation arranged by friendly, professional staff. Whole day interview to talk to 6 people. Topics covers both project/program management and domain knowledge (speech, NLP, dialog). It was nice experience

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

They flew me to Seattle and put me up in a super nice hotel the night before. We started the interview process at 11 the next day. between 11 and 1 we were taken around the Microsoft campus in Redmond as well as given 10 dollars for lunch at their food court area. The concierge was a pretty cool dude and I was really enjoying myself. After that we had 4 one-on-one interviews with people from microsoft who worked in the positions we were hiring for. Besides having to wait over two hours after to hear if I received an offer, it was a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were all that difficult and they mostly pertained to what I spoke to them about. With a program manager interview if you are confident and have strong interests in something specific, then steer the interview to a that interest. For example, I have a lot of interest with collaboration in China and whenever I brought that up, they used scenarios that had to do with doing business with China. It was great. The last interviewer asked me to design a calculator, which is a question someone else received in the glassdoor reviews so I would prepare for that one.   1 Answer