Microsoft

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – phone call, follow up in person to fly out, met with managers at different locations, did not meet with actual manager that would manage me which was weird. Very quick response after interview but a very very long time between that follow up and the actual offer due to the background verification, this can take up to 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Question – situational questions from job verification (not difficult but expect them)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation possible

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Hiring at MSFT is fair, well-organized, and it extracts what we need to know from potential new-hires. It may seem grueling to the candidates, but we get about 6 hrs to determine if you are awesome and can help us move the needle.

Interview Question – In 2005, I didn't know much about replicated systems and how to upgrade a server farm, but now this seems to be common knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted about a job opening by someone I knew in the company. I uploaded my resume for the position, and a few weeks later was contacted by HR to be screened, and invited in to be interviewed. One of the interviews was conducted via Skype, but the others were in-person. The interviewing was thoughtful, and questions included my skills knowledge to fulfill the technical aspect of the role, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and questions that would indicate how well I might fit into the team.

Interview Question – Not a difficult question nor unexpected, but I was asked what was the highest level executive to which I had ever presented.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Travel and accommodation arranged by friendly, professional staff. Whole day interview to talk to 6 people. Topics covers both project/program management and domain knowledge (speech, NLP, dialog). It was nice experience

Redmond, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Interview Details – HR could be a bit disorganized, but the actual interview loop was relatively smooth. Definitely bring your resume as HR is unreliable about this -- even for internals.

Interview Question – Using a satellite photo, tell me how many blades of grass are in a square meter of the turf outside this building.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The group seemed demoralized and uncertain about their futures.

Redmond, WA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details – While I was working at Microsoft as a vendor, a PM with whom I'd worked approached me to ask if I might be interested in applying for a Senior PM position he would be hiring and for which he thought I would be a good fit.

I applied online and he indicated to HR that he wanted me in the candidate pool. They scheduled a day of interviews in the form of Lync meetings, which I found tricky because I didn't have the benefit of meeting with the interviewers face-to-face.

I made it through the full day of interviews but didn't hear from them for weeks. I pinged my original contact a couple of weeks later and he let me know that the individual members of team with which I'd interviewed couldn't agree on the qualities they were looking for or what they hoped the person in the position would actually do so they couldn't agree that I was the person for the job. Ultimately he let me know that half the team wanted me but the other half were undecided. They opted not to hire the position at all until they could agree on the specifics about the role. I believe they still haven't hired.

Interview Question – My second interviewer led off by asking me "Which domains do you think we should focus on in our solution?" Given 1) my lack of technical expertise in the area; and 2) that I was interviewing for a management position, I thought that was a pretty tough question to start with.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – behavioral questions
situational questions
design question
resume based questions

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2011.

Interview Details – employee referral lead to informational (1:1) interview.
a formal interview loop was established with 5 different people (peers, developers, managers)
a final as appropriate interview with a senior director for the parent group.

Interview Question – Create the design specifications for a Car.   View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – They flew me to Seattle and put me up in a super nice hotel the night before. We started the interview process at 11 the next day.

between 11 and 1 we were taken around the Microsoft campus in Redmond as well as given 10 dollars for lunch at their food court area. The concierge was a pretty cool dude and I was really enjoying myself.

After that we had 4 one-on-one interviews with people from microsoft who worked in the positions we were hiring for. Besides having to wait over two hours after to hear if I received an offer, it was a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Question – None of the questions were all that difficult and they mostly pertained to what I spoke to them about. With a program manager interview if you are confident and have strong interests in something specific, then steer the interview to a that interest. For example, I have a lot of interest with collaboration in China and whenever I brought that up, they used scenarios that had to do with doing business with China. It was great.

The last interviewer asked me to design a calculator, which is a question someone else received in the glassdoor reviews so I would prepare for that one.
  View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details – Overall very smooth and streamlined hiring and interview process. The recruiter that setup the hiring process was on top of everything. I had two phone screens followed by a full loop.

Interview Question – Design a scalable system to collect all feedback for the Office product system.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Senior Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.