Microsoft

Updated Aug 26, 2014

3.5

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Phone interview
Series of 1:1 interviews in one day
Final 1:1 interviews

Interview Questions
  • How would you work out how many queries on Bing are related to Music and Entertainment?   View Answers (2)
Take it or leave it

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

1. Submit dozens (or maybe hundreds?) of applications over several months
    2. Contacted for phone screens for maybe 5 applications
    3. Two phone screens led to in-person interviews
    4. In-person interviews are most of a full day, meeting with 4-6 people for an hour each.
    5. They have one last interviewer held in reserve at the end of the day, not on your schedule. If the other interviewers judge you to be good enough, this "as appropriate" person (generally the most senior person, probably the final decision maker) will take time to interview you as well. If you don't meet with this "as appropriate" interviewer, you probably were judged to be not good enough to take time with & won't be getting the job. I imagine there are occasional instances where the "as appropriate" person has a last-minute conflict.

I was able to negotiate a little bit on the amount of stock included in the hiring incentives.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

I had first round of phone interview with the HR contact. On the phone, she asked me general questions about my experience. She asked me why I am leaving my current job and then also asked why I wanted to work for Microsoft. Once I cleared that, I was called for an in-person interview or the "loop" as they call it. The loop was set up with 4 people and then the last interview was as-needed one. During the loop i interviewed with Group program managers and the engineering manager. I was told if there is a need for as-needed interview it will scheduled for the next day.

My first 4 interviews went well. Each ran over an hour with detailed questions on my job experience. They gave me specific scenarios/situations. A couple of technical questions.
    By the time all 4 interviews were done i was exhausted. Be prepared it can be a very long day..

My last interviewer (4th one in the loop) told me i have the final interview the next day. That meant i had done well so far or they wouldnt have let me go ahead.

the next day interview was with a principal engineering manager and that lasted for 45 mins.

I heard from the HR back in 3 business days and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions were more like what will you change in Microsoft if you were the CEO and why?
      What you dont like about Microsoft?

Answer Question
    I didnt need negotiation because the offer was matching my expectations. They are pretty generous and match the competitors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Submitted application online. Contacted by recruiter to get basic information (willing to relocate? US citizen? salary requirements, etc.). Recruiter set up follow-up interview with hiring manager within 1 week. Interviewed with hiring manager who asked some technical questions like what is polymorphism? Then asked the a very generic question about how do you test a toaster? Started giving my answer, then interviewer request that I focus specifically how to test "doneness". Talked a little about different types of breads, testing without using bread, and focused on testing a toaster that was already in production vs a new toaster that is still in the R&D phase.

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

1 hour interview that went for about 1.25 hrs. Very focussed on process as applied to a real world problem, very enjoyable actually. Describe critical features that would be core to providing business travelers who are foodies access to rooms with cooking facilities and what peripheral features and our businesses could be helpful to provide this service

Interview Questions
    • How to provide test process to a Toaster assembly line   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

The overall experience was really good. I've had other interviews with Microsoft and they've all been great. The structure is always the same:
    First contacted by either hiring manager or recruiter followed by a short phone screen to see if the person and the resume fits.

After initial phone screen a "loop" is scheduled with multiple interviews on the same day "on site" at Microsoft. All information about how the loop would work, who I would meet, etc was given in advance. The recruiter and the interviewers were extremely professional throughout the entire process. The Microsoft loop is described in details all over the internet so I will not go into that. I went through six interviews of varying difficulty and details before being handed over to the "asap". Once at the asap I was pretty much told that I had a job if I wanted one and that they really wanted me to join their team - this is probably not general practice so don't expect your last interview to be a "what can we do/say to make you join us"-type of session.

Each interview had it's own characteristics, but they all followed the same pattern: ice-breaker for a few minutes, asking about my past experiences, testing technical ability by a problem solving or design open-ended question of some sort, personality evaluation type of questions, and the final 5-10minutes to answer any questions I might have (and yes, I had questions of my own - you should too).

I was asked not only "management" related questions. There were a few more in-depth technical "problems" to solve. I did not have to do whiteboard coding, but I did have to design programming APIs and break down and try to explain a real-life client-server based architecture. No questions were really unexpected or shook me out of my comfort zone, perhaps that had more to do with my familiarity by then with the Microsoft interview structure than the actual questions - some might find it difficult and unexpected to have to go into such deep technical details when applying for what is considered to be a management position. There was none of the infamous Microsoft "brain teasers" during this interview (though I've had them in other interviews).

Throughout the interview day I had a really good experience. The team was definitely right for me as we "clicked" on most topics, and what turned out to be a seven hour day of interviews felt more like a short lunch - I had fun during the day! The team seemed very enthusiastic about their work and really passionate about Microsoft and the product they worked on and managed to convey that to me through their actions and answers to my own questions.

Interview Questions
    • Like I said in the above text there was no real unexpected question. The hardest one would probably be the question about designing an API from scratch on a blank whiteboard.   Answer Question
    There is room for negotiating the base salary and the sign-on bonus. There doesn't seem to be any room for negotiation on the other parts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Back in the day, MS had an high entry bar despite the company's constant need for anyone. These days, expect a bunch of puzzle questions and be prepared to spend the day getting probed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Overall very smooth and streamlined hiring and interview process. The recruiter that setup the hiring process was on top of everything. I had two phone screens followed by a full loop.

Interview Questions
    • Design a scalable system to collect all feedback for the Office product system.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Was contacted for the Windows Team program management job, the role was very vague, passed the phone screen and went on site for an interview. Lasted all the way to the end 9AM to 5PM with no break, bumped in other candidates for the same role multiple times. The interview process is exhausting, everyone ask similar questions in different way. Was left hanging for over 3 weeks without an answer and with an HR guy that didn't really answer email or phone calls.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something I don't know for exactly 5 minutes   View Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was contacted about a job opening by someone I knew in the company. I uploaded my resume for the position, and a few weeks later was contacted by HR to be screened, and invited in to be interviewed. One of the interviews was conducted via Skype, but the others were in-person. The interviewing was thoughtful, and questions included my skills knowledge to fulfill the technical aspect of the role, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and questions that would indicate how well I might fit into the team.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question nor unexpected, but I was asked what was the highest level executive to which I had ever presented.   Answer Question