Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

39 interviews

3.5

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Microsoft.

1. Submit dozens (or maybe hundreds?) of applications over several months
2. Contacted for phone screens for maybe 5 applications
3. Two phone screens led to in-person interviews
4. In-person interviews are most of a full day, meeting with 4-6 people for an hour each.
5. They have one last interviewer held in reserve at the end of the day, not on your schedule. If the other interviewers judge you to be good enough, this "as appropriate" person (generally the most senior person, probably the final decision maker) will take time to interview you as well. If you don't meet with this "as appropriate" interviewer, you probably were judged to be not good enough to take time with & won't be getting the job. I imagine there are occasional instances where the "as appropriate" person has a last-minute conflict.

I was able to negotiate a little bit on the amount of stock included in the hiring incentives.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Phone interview
    Series of 1:1 interviews in one day
    Final 1:1 interviews

Interview Questions
    • How would you work out how many queries on Bing are related to Music and Entertainment?   View Answers (2)
    Take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

Microsoft interviews usually consist of 3-5 interviewers from the same discipline the candidate interviews for. They are a mix of technical questions related to programming basics and business decision type questions. The culture varies from group to group, but in general it is a very friendly if geeky experience. They use big white boards and they expect their candidates to use the boards to program or draw architecture boxes and lines. They also expect candidates to vocalize their thought process and ask for clarifying questions. Silence during an interview is bad. Dress codes are very casual so don't bother with a suit unless you're applying for a marketing position.

Senior Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

I talked with 6-7 people over the course of the day. Each interview is 1:1 and lasts about an hour. Always ask clarifying questions, confirm with the interviewer that you answered their question, and do not talk too much - allow the interviewer to get all their questions out. Ask clarifying questions. Talk out loud as you explore solutions to interview questions - the interviewer wants to see your thought process as much as whether you get the answer right. Show passion and confidence. Be precise in your answers. Actively use the whiteboard instead of just giving verbal answers. Ask counter questions.

Interview Questions
    • What personal contribution on your prior job are you most proud of? Why?   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult personal situation you faced in the past, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    The level at which you join the company is key. The higher the level, the better the compensation package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

I interviewed in 3 different groups. In each case the interviews were conducted over 1-2 days, consisting of 4-5, hour long, 1:1 interviews. There is much information on the net about Microsoft interview and I'd say the interviews were 'standard' for Microsoft.

What surprised me the most about the interviews was the utter lack of professionalism displayed by the first two teams. A couple of examples:
    - a hiring manager didn't show up for a morning interview and didn't bother to call the coordinator or me
    - as our rescheduled interview was about to begin, the same manager left me waiting for 15 minutes while he chatted with a team member outside of his office
    - a second manager left me standing outside of his office for 30 minutes while he loudly chatted on the phone, feet up on his desk, about his weekend. When we started the interview he offered no apology.
    - about half of the interviewers did not review my resume before we started talking

In general, the interviewers were unprepared and unprofessional, even arrogant. I was surprised by the number of sophomoric interview questions and meaningless riddles and almost total lack of interest in exploring my decade+ of highly relevant experience.

While I did accept a position in another group, I'd say the overall experience was extremely disappointing and reflects very poorly on Microsoft's culture.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember the details of the interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

5 step Interview process - 3 Interviews with SMEs, 1 Interview with HR and 1 interview with Hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Interviews focused on skills, experiences and competencies... hiring manager interview focused on team fit and personal working style.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

You get 5 interviews and a sixth one that is not on the schedule. If you make it to the sixth one, it means you can potentially be hired as the last interview is with the decision maker. It will get this far only if the initial 5 were strong enough that you can potentially be hired

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Hiring at MSFT is fair, well-organized, and it extracts what we need to know from potential new-hires. It may seem grueling to the candidates, but we get about 6 hrs to determine if you are awesome and can help us move the needle.

Interview Questions
    • In 2005, I didn't know much about replicated systems and how to upgrade a server farm, but now this seems to be common knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was contacted about a job opening by someone I knew in the company. I uploaded my resume for the position, and a few weeks later was contacted by HR to be screened, and invited in to be interviewed. One of the interviews was conducted via Skype, but the others were in-person. The interviewing was thoughtful, and questions included my skills knowledge to fulfill the technical aspect of the role, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and questions that would indicate how well I might fit into the team.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question nor unexpected, but I was asked what was the highest level executive to which I had ever presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Back in the day, MS had an high entry bar despite the company's constant need for anyone. These days, expect a bunch of puzzle questions and be prepared to spend the day getting probed.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!