Microsoft

3.5

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

Microsoft interviews usually consist of 3-5 interviewers from the same discipline the candidate interviews for. They are a mix of technical questions related to programming basics and business decision type questions. The culture varies from group to group, but in general it is a very friendly if geeky experience. They use big white boards and they expect their candidates to use the boards to program or draw architecture boxes and lines. They also expect candidates to vocalize their thought process and ask for clarifying questions. Silence during an interview is bad. Dress codes are very casual so don't bother with a suit unless you're applying for a marketing position.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Referred by Senior HR Manager. Preliminary interview took place a couple of evenings later at city centre office with senior manager.

Called back to main campus a week later. First three interviews very professional. Technical questions, lots of white boarding. Had an interesting discussion with programmer about optimising code. he was wrong,but could have been looking for a reaction.

Fourth interview was over lunch with a manager. He turned up clutching lunchbox and confessed he'd forgotten he had a lunch interview. Headed to canteen and had generic interview style discussion. Returned to conference room where he confessed that he hadn't prepared any questions either. Still had good discussion about restructuring efforts and company culture. Throughout discussions, he referred to 5th interview with senior manager as if it was going to happen. Very positive.

At end of one hour, he left to find senior manager (the same that carried out preliminary interview) to hand over for 5th and final interview. Left me fairly sure that I was through to the 5th interview and that an offer was therefore likely. He returned 30 minutes later and apologised that they seemed to have some logistical problems and he had been unable to find 5th interviewer so they were going to cut the day short. Would be in touch.

Left, stunned and increasingly angry with the unprofessionalism of the 4th interviewer. Needless to say, have heard nothing further from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Microsoft?   View Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

5 step Interview process - 3 Interviews with SMEs, 1 Interview with HR and 1 interview with Hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Interviews focused on skills, experiences and competencies... hiring manager interview focused on team fit and personal working style.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2011.

Find job on Microsoft Website. Apply online, get call for phone interview. Had several phone interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

- Initial phone screening with HR.
    - 1 hour phone interview with co-worker
    - 1 hour phone interview with hiring manager
    - On-site 1 day interview with 6 different people. Non stop from 9:15 until 4:45 pm.
    - All interviews were 1-on-1
    - Interviewed by a different roles, Development Managers, QA managers, Program Managers etc.
    - Mix of technical and influence type questions
    - Role play
    - Lot of questions around examples of different type of situations and how I handled them and how I would handle them if I were to do it again etc.

Interview Questions
    • What two questions where the hardest during the interview day and why?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Was interviewed by Lead Senior Program Manager over phone (1 hour). The guy asked me questions about what I do, my job, program management etc. I think I answered very well. I am an expert in my field. But he just wouldn't care about my responses. I thought questions were pretty easy. He asked me about the 'whole world' and nothing that pertains to the job. At the end he asked me if I had questions. I asked him specific questions about the job - but he wouldn't / couldn't answer properly. I think people at MS don't have good communication skills. Hiring managers at MS really suck. This experience proved insightful; I would never want to work at MS and also the attitude of people at MS explains why the company is going down the drain. My recommendation, don't work at MS; many better companies out there.

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Lots of puzzles and product design questions

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

I talked with 6-7 people over the course of the day. Each interview is 1:1 and lasts about an hour. Always ask clarifying questions, confirm with the interviewer that you answered their question, and do not talk too much - allow the interviewer to get all their questions out. Ask clarifying questions. Talk out loud as you explore solutions to interview questions - the interviewer wants to see your thought process as much as whether you get the answer right. Show passion and confidence. Be precise in your answers. Actively use the whiteboard instead of just giving verbal answers. Ask counter questions.

Interview Questions
    • What personal contribution on your prior job are you most proud of? Why?   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult personal situation you faced in the past, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    The level at which you join the company is key. The higher the level, the better the compensation package.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Phone interview
    Series of 1:1 interviews in one day
    Final 1:1 interviews

Interview Questions
    • How would you work out how many queries on Bing are related to Music and Entertainment?   View Answers (2)
    Take it or leave it