Microsoft Senior Project Manager Interview Questions

3.5

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Recruiter was exceptional. Process was direct and straight forward. Second round of interview was F2F with the direct manager. All travel and lodging arrangements were managed. Interview was very smooth and respectful. Issue is that it is all show and tell but the sheen is gone once one gets hired.

Interview Questions

• Why am I making a change to become a FT employee after having been freelance for so long.Was unexpected as I was recruited for a specific 'new' role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Long and drawn out. And the background check process was kind of disrespectful-- guess I should have known. Some wet behind the ears kid asking pretty insulting questions about things having nothing to do with my qualifications or my fitness as an employee.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

this was a whole day - 5 people; one hour every session - back to back; including a lunch interview which was in Microsoft cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult were opened ended questions on a hypothetical problem. You are given a situation - i.e. let's imagining there is no friction - what will happen to a this case (a structure was drafted on a white board) - please describe how you solve this....   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was abroad - it was thru a letter

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Microsoft receives about 50K applications/resumes a year and usually it takes some time for you to get things rolling but they tend to be quick in pulling the trigger when they find the right person. I didn't have group interview but be prepared to spend the whole day going from office to office.

Interview Questions

• Microsoft hiring managers are known for being very detailed and technical oriented so be prepared for whiteboard questions including coding. Another thing you will need to prepare yourself is "brain teaser" questions. They seem to love these type of questions because they will see your bain working in real-time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

I got contacted by a MS recruiter through my linkin profile. Had initial phone interview, 1:1 technical interview with the hiring manager. I was invited for a series of face to face interviews, since I liked the position I didn't mind flying in from another continent. On the first day of the interviews I was told I'll be interviewing for two positions ( one I already agreed and applied for and a second one) and that I'll be asked technical questions- all fine till now. The first interviews were quite strange, as it became apparent they were for second position – the one I never applied for. The interviewer didn’t really read my CV, since he started with :”well I see you have mentioned knowledge of this approach in your CV, how would you...” Now I have never mentioned knowledge of the approach, actually I knew a bit about it but tried to stay away from listing anything I'm not an expert in . I did try to make a point of this but it was useless. I pushed through the interview but couldn't get how I've been flown all across the world for a position for which I never claimed to have skills. The following day I interviewed for position 1, for the position for which I had 1:1 phone interviews with the hiring manager and for which I've applied. That went very good. I made an effort even though I was disappointed with the previous day. I later got positive feedback from these second set of interviews but I've been told the offer was not being made due to the negative feedback from the first set of interviews. Overall I didn't appreciate being asked questions so far from my domain of expertise, found it a waste of my time and evidently interviewers time. The recruiter could have made more effort to at least match the keywords in the position description and the skills from my CV.

Interview Questions

• credit card problem with map reduce   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Somewhat complicated and took longer than I anticipated. Microsoft may take a long time deciding where you fit, but eventually they'll steer you straight. For my first role at Microsoft, I had to talk with several people about a few different job opportunities before finally meeting with my hiring manager and landing it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

Cumbersome, crazy questions (how would you test an ink pen). I have been doing my job for 15+ years, getting these questions made me wonder about the company.

Interview Questions

• Ethics - If you are out of country, and the norm is to bribe to get the deal done, do you bribe?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Always negotiate. Negotiate on different levels (salary, bonus, training, vacation).

Senior Project Manager Interview

Interview

5 Phone interviews, two on site interviews, phone interviews were positive, the difficult questions were the fluffy ones on how you interact with others. The on-site interviews were good, but salary was an issue. In the end the gulf was too much. Initial recruiter was good, however I was passed to a junior recruiter to organise interviews, but he constantly got interview times and interviewers wrong, leading to some confusion.

Interview Questions

• How do you influence people globally who have other priorities that are not your own?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview

Initial communication through email, took a week to set up screening call. Asked very few questions about self and previous experience, seemed that mind was set prior to interview, ended conversation quickly.

Interview Questions

• Would you be interested in working as a contractor first?   Answer Question