Microsoft Senior Service Engineer Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Got contacted by HR and took the telephonic few days later, was flown into Seattle(all expenses paid) for face to face. This is the lengthiest face to face you will find, some repetitive questions, for some reason I think Microsoft interviewers really want you to follow their chain of thought, there are 10 ways to solve a problem and would like to hear till you get to their way, the interview as such was not difficult but tedious because after 2 different hourly technical interviews your brain needs a break but it goes on and on followed by lunch interview and few more technical and hiring manager etc etc. If you really want to judge the technical skills an hour is just enough or may be two at max, no point in leaving someone brain-dead and still follow up with more interviews.

Interview Questions
  • There was nothing difficult as such they really are not doing any rocket science, but if they are picky on some technology they will grill you on it, ex. f5 load balancers, if its on your resume better know it in and out and i dont mean load balancing methods, much beyond that. Questions such as application slowness issues through F5.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

The hiring process began through LinkedIn. Initial contact was with a Microsoft FTE recruiter. We eventually had what I felt was a non-technical phone screen (though post being hired I know FTE recruiters take questions from the team for initial screening). About a week or so later I was asked to come onsite for an interview loop.

The interview loop is a flexible one and fluctuates based on how you're doing. You always start with the recruiter. This interview is where your day's agenda is set. You'll be handed a sheet of paper with times and names. The morning interviews are the technical ones (and it's nearly unheard of not to make it to lunch).

If you make it past lunch, you're normally doing pretty well. Some interviews in the afternoon may be marked "As Appropriate". In general, post lunch interviews are with your direct manager and a skip level manager (depending on the org, you might interview with the manager at that skipped level as well).

Anyways, you normally interview with 3 folks before lunch, one during, and two after ... again depending on how you're doing.

Interviews last 45 minutes. You should not expect your interviewer to always be on time --> this is a cultural thing at Microsoft. Most interviewers will be casually dressed. Again, it's a Microsoft/Pacific NW thing.

In regards to technical depth in the technical interviews, you'll run the gamut. I found out after I was hired that I was, unbeknownst to me, interviewing for two positions while on campus, so my interviews encompassed two services. My interviews were technical and I definitely made use of a whiteboard in all of my morning interviews. The afternoon interviews were definitely a "fit" thing.

In regards to an offer, I flew home immediately following my interview loop. The next day was right before a holiday weekend so I didn't expect to hear anything before Tuesday at the earliest. To my surprise, my recruiter called me with an offer, including relocation package, that Friday.

Interview Questions
    • Microsoft doesn't try to trick people during interviews. They ask technical questions that are sometimes open-ended so that they may better understand how you think and solve problems.   Answer Question
    Negotiations are commonplace in regards to compensation and, in my experience, were nothing but pleasant. If they've gone so far as to make you an offer, they want to actually hire you.