Microsoft

Updated Nov 14, 2014

3.4

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Had an informational and informal interview, so it wasn't the usual MS interview loop. I was asked linked list question, BST questions, and code quality questions. This was a situation where I was checking out a position internally.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview loop with 5-6 people. Several design and implementation questions.Design questions revolve around features and problem solving. Implementation questions revolve around data structures. You will be asked the same type of questions over and over again.

Interview Questions
    • Finding an edit distance between two strings   View Answer
    Just remember to play hardball. Microsoft is not a technical leader in any space right now. So, you can make them feel unwanted for you to get a great deal.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Algorithms and data structures, coding questions, some design

looking to do something outside microsoft stack

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

It was brutal; 10 hours of detailed programming questions, alternating with going to the whiteboard. Lots of C++ code chock full of errors, some obvious; others subtle

Interview Questions
    no need to negotiate; offer was very competitive

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

First contacted by a Microsoft recruiter to vetify that I qualify for the advertized job. I git contacted by email by the recruiter a week later to set up a technical interview. Tge interview was online where you need to solve real time a question the interviewer asked

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had an interview with 6 different people for 2 different position after 2 phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What's the test process that ensures that your code is good to go?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

On site from internal referral

Interview Questions
    • A lot of behavioral questions. Technical and coding questions are focused on CS fundamentals.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Long interviews, very good recruiters, but hard to get interviews if you are applying without a reference from a employee

No negociation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2013.

Submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager. After one round of phone interview with hiring manager, I got invited to the onsite interview. In the beginning of the day, HR gave me a list of only three interviewers, all principal engineers. It was very friendly, mostly about my previous industry and PhD work and then some domain specific questions to test my knowledge in different corners in this field. After three rounds, if they don't like you, they may let you go immediately. For me, I have extra four more rounds. One is with a younger engineer who asked more about programming questions followed by another very senior person who asked pretty advanced questions in the field. And then one round with hiring manger who is very technical and asked questions from high level to low level in the field. The last round was a long long time interview with manager's manager. He basically introduced their projects and talk generally to me in different areas. It lasted two and half hours. I finished at 7:00PM.

HR called after interview and tried to figure out how much I want. I said I want standard senior software development engineer package or slightly better. They gave me an offer that I am satisfied with. I accepted without negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Got email from Microsoft recruiter, followed by phone calls. They setup a phone screen. then took them about 2 months to setup onsite interview. Scheduling was a bit disorganized on the recruiter part.
    Some of the interviewers are very friendly and cool, some of them seem to not like to be doing these interviews.