Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called me to schedule a phone screen technical interview with a developer team lead. The technical interview was supposed to be an hour but lasted an hour and a half; the team lead was very interested in my project work, and the overall impression was very positive, even though no coding was tested during the phone screen. Before I stepped into the office, I got the e-mail request for me to fly to Seattle and meet the team the following week. Scheduling was very easy to work with and I had no issues getting to Seattle; a rental car was even booked for me, and meals and parking can be expensed. The first interview was with the recruiter, who was very friendly and provided some insightful information on how the interviews work and a schedule with the people I would meet. She also mentioned that there were multiple teams monitoring these interviews and that if I did well in the interviews there would be additional interviews that were not on the schedule. While there was a lunch interview that was a bit more casual (no whiteboard = no coding), I didn't let my guard down; all other interviews were highly technical and required coding or analyzing code. I eventually met double the number of people I was scheduled for and the interviews lasted 7 hours. It was a gruelling day, and one interviewer asked me questions outside of my knowledge zone, but it was extremely insightful as to the difficulty level of a first-tier software tech company interview, and I learned a lot of what was being expected at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was really interesting interview process. There were 5 conversations in 1x1 format plus 1 extra, so 6 total. Mostly we talked about my experience and around it. Each interviewer asked certain area of my experience in deep details. So you have to refresh you memory.

Interview Questions

• Reverse string.
      Implement ntoa.
      Get number of ones in a M bit variable.
      Design and implement message passing for multiprocessor system (were given some specific hardware restrictions)
      Design and implement malloc/free for some specific requirements.
      Design embedded RTOS and implement scheduler, task switching and interrupt handler.

Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

Interview

Unlike other comparable companies, Microsoft seems to do extra work for finding out the right interviewer who can correctly evaluate and investigate your capability. Although I couldn't make it, the interview with Microsoft was one of the most pleasant interviews. The interviewer showed a lot of interest in and asked about my past works.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked all the work that I described in my resume.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Microsoft's hiring is one of more organized of the pack. However, it definitely helps if your case is being pushed by the hiring manager, so if you can, do maintain contact with them.
    Interviews follow the typical structure for the industry:
    1. Initial phone screen with the recruiter.
    2. Phone Tech screen with a member of the engineering team.
    3. Follow up call with recruiter to identify groups you'd be interested in.
    4. On-site face-to-face interviews. Typically 4 (maybe 5 if you are doing a 'split' loop, or you're one of the more borderline cases)

Overall, in onsite interview experience has improved dramatically over the years, for intervewees. Gone is the focus on brain teasers that left people numbed and shivering. Its more practical now.
    Which means - a more mixed bag of apples tends to get in, since its not just about how smart you are. I have mixed feelings about how this evolved.

Interview Questions

• Questions are actually not that hard. There are definitely other tech companies that will massage your brains much more. :) Most of the questions seem to come from the standard set of 150 or so questions that have been doing the rounds for several years. There are several books published with these, so being familiar with those will give you a high probability of success.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Its pretty standard structure. At best, you may get some more stock grants.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Normal phone screening first and then the full interview loop. Completed three rounds which comprises of all algorithms on linked list and binary search tree in the first two interviews and then in the third interview about the design question.

Interview Questions

• Question on linked list and binary search tree.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an informational and informal interview, so it wasn't the usual MS interview loop. I was asked linked list question, BST questions, and code quality questions. This was a situation where I was checking out a position internally.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Telephonic round -
    Call by hiring manager - basic background check - questions on project

Interview day -
    first HR round, next 3 tech rounds, and then lunch interview.
    If there are any interviews post lunch - that means you've cleared the first rounds.

You're lucky if the hiring manager meets you.

After the interview -
    This process is pathetic - they might even care to return back to the candidate - but if after one week you dont hear from recruiter - consider yourself rejected.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is difficult - it all depends on the performance in tech rounds   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview loop with 5-6 people. Several design and implementation questions.Design questions revolve around features and problem solving. Implementation questions revolve around data structures. You will be asked the same type of questions over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Finding an edit distance between two strings   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just remember to play hardball. Microsoft is not a technical leader in any space right now. So, you can make them feel unwanted for you to get a great deal.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Algorithms and data structures, coding questions, some design

looking to do something outside microsoft stack

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

It was brutal; 10 hours of detailed programming questions, alternating with going to the whiteboard. Lots of C++ code chock full of errors, some obvious; others subtle

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no need to negotiate; offer was very competitive