Microsoft Service Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.5

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The internship interview process is pretty simple. THere was one phone interview. I cleared it and was called to Seattle for their on site rounds. There were 4 onsite interviews. interview run through out the day, testing not only technical skills but your patience as well ..

Interview Questions

• on site interview was open ended situational questions. Scenario based questions. which situation is more serious and which will you handle first. Questions on project.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter, did a phone screen, then in person 5 round interview. If you make it past the first 2, you are pretty much hired. The tech questions were open and they kept grilling you on your design until you break. Everything from decision making to architecture design. What I liked is that they didn't grill you on pointless name these services, ports, etc but how you think and troubleshoot.

Interview Questions

• build a multi tenant sql server architecture build a HA 3 tier web application where no downtime is allowed   1 Answer

Service Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied at school fair, got a call/email 2 months later Scheduled phone interview. Standard behavioral questions. with thought questions. "how would you build a computer?" "how would you set up a home router?" Received an email a few days later, telling me i did well, and they were flying me out. Plans and everything is done through email. they pay for flights and expenses. depending on the department interviewing for, you will get 3-7 interviews by the department you applied for. at least 1 technical interview, 1 manager interview, and 1 character interview (social lunch interview).

Interview Questions

• the character interview is hard, just because its just social interactions. thinking up conversation topics on the fly was pretty difficult. you have to fit microsoft's social atmosphere.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

One phone interview. 4 on-site interviews. Interviews mostly didn't involve any coding, and were mostly about diagnosing service problems and creating theoretical web services.One question was about taking an Android app that I had made and making it a cloud-connected app across many devices, including utilizing a CDN, etc. One question was about designing an online payments service. Then, designing a cloud service similar to Azure that would run it. One question was about finding and diagnosing a problem in a Microsoft service, whether it be at the user end, somewhere in the network, or at a MSFT datacenter.

Interview Questions

• How would you use social media tracking to determine if there is a problem with a Microsoft service?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Intern position. There actually is some leeway in negotiations for interns, and I have talked to some interns who were able to negotiate their pay up, but I didn't myself.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Got selected for phone interview from career expo resume drop.30 min telephonic interview. Questions about past jobs and projects. Some behavioral questions. Non technical profile. Prepare your resume well. Mostly resume based questions will be asked.

Interview Questions

• Which project work you felt challenging in your past work ex and why?   Answer Question

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview

Applied for position back in November. I was notified by email to schedule for a phone interview in January. Phone interview was mostly behavioral. Was notified a little over a month later that I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really difficult. Asked about knowledge of virtualization, networking, and scripting languages.   Answer Question

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview

first, email to let you schedule the date for phone interview. Then, several general questions about your resume and other parts --- about 40 minutes The result came soon.

Interview Questions

• how to describe the computer can have two monitors to show different things to the person without background of computer   Answer Question

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is insane. You will go through a full days interview loop usually consisting of interviewing with 4 people and then a 5th the next day labled the "AS Appropriate" interview. After that it can take about a month to get past the very rigorous background check.

Interview Questions

• The background check is the worst part, you can not have any gaps in your employment history as well as a clean criminal record.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They tell you pretty much what you will be getting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2008.

Interview

All day long, very aggressive, several technical/social elements. If you get sent home early, you know you failed.

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens in detail from the perspective of AD during a client login to windows   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took a long time, but got what I wanted

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview

Initial communication with external contracting company that were placing people on site. 3 phone interviews. First was a screening phone call with an engineer, second was with the US manager for the department and the 3rd was another tech interview with two engineers

Interview Questions

• How would you install 5 virtual machines on 1000 servers   Answer Question