Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.2

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Easy interview, contacted by recruiter and set up interview. Interview was relaxed, one on one with a guy. Asked me to write code, asked me about resume. I don't think the first round is supposed to be very hard but I messed up on one of the technical questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Flown up to MS office in Seattle in a hotel for 3 days. The experience itself was nice but the method of interviewing wasn't that great. The interviewers are from specific teams so getting hired is a crapshoot as the team may be hiring 1 or 8 people and it totally depends. Also there is no committee or discussion so it is dependent on whether the specific interviewer liked you.

Software Development Interview

Applied at recruiting event, got a phone interview. It lasted about 45 minutes. It was very easy, a couple of puzzles here and there. Just a rundown of my resume, to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • Had a question about threads and processes. Probably not a hard question, but I haven't taken extraordinarily high level courses, yet.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I met a recruiter at a campus career fair. The recruiter contacted me within two weeks to set up an on campus interview. The email containing the interview sign up also contained a list of books and websites to help prepare for the interview. The interview itself was a half hour long. The interviewer asked me to talk a little bit about my classes and projects, which I did for seven minutes. The rest of the time was spent in working out a technical problem. I first discussed my ideas with the interviewer, who then told me what he liked and did not like and then asked me to write down some code. I heard back from the recruiter a week later informing me that I had made it to the next round, which has not taken place yet.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question was related to data structures and sorting.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

I got the interview through the career fair at my campus. It was the most technical interview I had had, so it was a little rough. I also didn't sense much friendliness from my interview, which didn't help anything.

Interview Questions
    • Small coding questions with purposeful cases that might mess you up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

It was an on campus interview. The company was announced via email so a first pool of resumes could be collected, and from those a number were chosen for an on campus interview. I came in, the interviewer was very cordial and easy to talk to. We spent a good bit of time just discussing various tech interests.

We immediately started with a coding problem, then moved on to a number of design questions and some questions about my background.

Fairly easy, I made it through to the second round which is to be flown down to their microsoft campus for an interview. They havent called me back yet.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

One thirty minute on campus interview. Interviewer began with some soft questions, asking about recent project I had done, and what the largest bugs had been. He then proceeded with technical questions. He asked two questions relating to trees, and one regarding sorting.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting question dealing with organizing terrabytes of data.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

University recruiting. Contacted by recruiter via email. First round interview. It was conducted at my university. First question was a standard "tell me about yourself". Afterwards, I was expecting more technical questions. Instead the interviewer asked me what Microsoft products I liked and hated, and to explain why. The last question was a basic brain teaser that wasn't too bad. I would recommend that for the 1st round interview, expect more behavioral than technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What Microsoft products I like / hate and to explain why.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

First round interview on college campus. Talked about past experience then coding sample. Asked to reverse a string. Super simple. I got it correct yet still did not receive a response.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a String in any language you would like. Reverse the words in a string.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended on campus code competition, then submitted resume to the campus recruiter. Scheduled an on campus interview, 30 minutes. After one week got an on-site interview with 4 engineers. Received feedback within several days. In each interview been asked several normal behavior questions, and some coding questions, except the last one given a design question.

Interview Questions
    • All but the last one were super straight-forward. The last one was about designing and finding problems in a mass-system.   View Answer
    Did not really negotiated.