Microsoft

Getting the Interview

107 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Setup for the interview took a while due to reorganisation. The telephone interview was with the recruiter and was a straightforward design task. The on-campus interview entailed a return flight, two nights in a hotel, hotel meals, taxi fare, and lunch during the interview. The Microsoft travel facilitators were very flexible right up to confirmation of bookings. The day itself was somewhat disorganised, changing venues for almost every interview and with a last-minute reschedule. The interviews themselves ranged all over the place.

Interview Question – There was less coding and more theory than I had expected.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – I got a on campus interview. Failed in the 2nd round. Asked me some basic algorithm questions. Easy but need to figure out different solutions.

Interview Question – how to combine 2 sorted arrays together. Like 1357, 2468, the result should be 12345678   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – First Round of Interview

Interview Question – 1. Tell us about yourself and your work experience.
2. What was the longest and the most complicated code you have ever written.
3. If there are 3 baskets, having contents: Apples, Oranges and Apples + Oranges. All the baskets are mislabelled and not transparent. How many minimum baskets do you need to open to know the contents of all.
  View Answers (2)

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – career fair in school, just been fooled

Interview Question – hard algorithm questions   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Question – What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Typical interview process. Questions about my background, experience and my style of work. People were friendly and they asked good questions. I would say this is a standard interview and you should have nothing to worry about if you are a qualified candidate. I would arrive early because sometimes its hard to find the location.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview Details – Send my resume to a manager, got a one hour phone interview with him and he wanted to see me onsite. At that point he transmitted to a recruiter to schedule the trip.

Had 3 interview, lunch, and two more. Questions ranging from linked-list to graph. Overall questions were simple but you have to take great care about the coding on the whiteboard, I was not prepared to.

Interview Question – It was a compiler team, I had to design an alias analysis.   Answer Question

Interview Details – telephone interview

Interview Question – how many lines of code do you write in your entire projects   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Applied online. Got email that I will have technical interview over the phone. Was asked questions about resume and background.

Interview Question – "There are 9 jars. 8 jars contain marbles which each marble weights 1 gram, and 1 jar contains marbles weight 1.1 gram. With a scale display number, how can define which jar contain 1.1 gram marble with only 1 scale."   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I reached out to the interviewer assigned to my region September, during my penultimate semester at college. We have scheduled a phone interview for a month later. The phone interview was similar to described by others, testing your knowledge about Microsoft, asking you to describe their favourite product, also checking your motivation behind applying to MSFT. Avoid cliche answers like: "I want to work for MSFT because of stability". Make sure you study what they do, especially stuff unrelated to the technical field like their community service, donations etc.

Once that was done, I received an invitation to onsite interviews. This was the moment crap hit the fan because despite applying for Hardware ENgineering position and insisting I want to do hardware/system level software I was assigned to interview with the MS Office division for cloud services position where my experiences and programming languages were a little inapplicable. But I was not aware of that until the very last interview.

Anyway, they flew me to Redmond for the technical interviews. The technical questions were related to data structures and recursion: 4 interveiwers asked me to code a solution to a problem on a white board. If your solution is not the best (90% of the time it wont) they will ask you how would you improve it.

The last interviewer finally told me that the whole time I was interviewing for a wrong position. SO I spoke with the coordinator and they told me they will try to fix it. They directed me to the recruiter who assigned me to that particular division. That interviewer promised to call me to speak about it. I scheduled the phone call but nobody ever called me. Then I had enough.

Interview Question – Recursive fibonacci, make a lookup table to speed it up;
Remove duplicated letters in a string
Given a linked list where every node points to two different nodes, make a duplicate of it.
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 107 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.