Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview I had was with a college recruiter, which went well. It was more behavioral in nature. I was contacted back about a month later and told I had the opportunity for a second-round interview at their headquarters in Seattle. There were four interviews asking about coding questions. I feel the first interview was the most important and I hear this is how they gauge your skill level and will communicate this to your next interviewers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Easy interview, contacted by recruiter and set up interview. Interview was relaxed, one on one with a guy. Asked me to write code, asked me about resume. I don't think the first round is supposed to be very hard but I messed up on one of the technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Flown up to MS office in Seattle in a hotel for 3 days. The experience itself was nice but the method of interviewing wasn't that great. The interviewers are from specific teams so getting hired is a crapshoot as the team may be hiring 1 or 8 people and it totally depends. Also there is no committee or discussion so it is dependent on whether the specific interviewer liked you.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a 20 questions game   1 Answer
    • Find greatest triplet sum   1 Answer

Software Development Interview

Interview

Applied at recruiting event, got a phone interview. It lasted about 45 minutes. It was very easy, a couple of puzzles here and there. Just a rundown of my resume, to be honest.

Interview Questions

• Had a question about threads and processes. Probably not a hard question, but I haven't taken extraordinarily high level courses, yet.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a campus career fair. The recruiter contacted me within two weeks to set up an on campus interview. The email containing the interview sign up also contained a list of books and websites to help prepare for the interview. The interview itself was a half hour long. The interviewer asked me to talk a little bit about my classes and projects, which I did for seven minutes. The rest of the time was spent in working out a technical problem. I first discussed my ideas with the interviewer, who then told me what he liked and did not like and then asked me to write down some code. I heard back from the recruiter a week later informing me that I had made it to the next round, which has not taken place yet.

Interview Questions

• The technical question was related to data structures and sorting.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I got the interview through the career fair at my campus. It was the most technical interview I had had, so it was a little rough. I also didn't sense much friendliness from my interview, which didn't help anything.

Interview Questions

• Small coding questions with purposeful cases that might mess you up.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Interview

One thirty minute on campus interview. Interviewer began with some soft questions, asking about recent project I had done, and what the largest bugs had been. He then proceeded with technical questions. He asked two questions relating to trees, and one regarding sorting.

Interview Questions

• Sorting question dealing with organizing terrabytes of data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Miami, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

It was an on campus interview. The company was announced via email so a first pool of resumes could be collected, and from those a number were chosen for an on campus interview. I came in, the interviewer was very cordial and easy to talk to. We spent a good bit of time just discussing various tech interests. We immediately started with a coding problem, then moved on to a number of design questions and some questions about my background. Fairly easy, I made it through to the second round which is to be flown down to their microsoft campus for an interview. They havent called me back yet.

Interview Questions

• Reverse the words in a string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from their office in Redmond and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The interview included short answer technical questions to behavioural and problem solving questions. No coding questions.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

University recruiting. Contacted by recruiter via email. First round interview. It was conducted at my university. First question was a standard "tell me about yourself". Afterwards, I was expecting more technical questions. Instead the interviewer asked me what Microsoft products I liked and hated, and to explain why. The last question was a basic brain teaser that wasn't too bad. I would recommend that for the 1st round interview, expect more behavioral than technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What Microsoft products I like / hate and to explain why.   Answer Question