Microsoft

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.2

119 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Interview

Applied at recruiting event, got a phone interview. It lasted about 45 minutes. It was very easy, a couple of puzzles here and there. Just a rundown of my resume, to be honest.

Interview Questions
  • Had a question about threads and processes. Probably not a hard question, but I haven't taken extraordinarily high level courses, yet.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I met a recruiter at a campus career fair. The recruiter contacted me within two weeks to set up an on campus interview. The email containing the interview sign up also contained a list of books and websites to help prepare for the interview. The interview itself was a half hour long. The interviewer asked me to talk a little bit about my classes and projects, which I did for seven minutes. The rest of the time was spent in working out a technical problem. I first discussed my ideas with the interviewer, who then told me what he liked and did not like and then asked me to write down some code. I heard back from the recruiter a week later informing me that I had made it to the next round, which has not taken place yet.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question was related to data structures and sorting.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

I got the interview through the career fair at my campus. It was the most technical interview I had had, so it was a little rough. I also didn't sense much friendliness from my interview, which didn't help anything.

Interview Questions
    • Small coding questions with purposeful cases that might mess you up.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

University recruiting. Contacted by recruiter via email. First round interview. It was conducted at my university. First question was a standard "tell me about yourself". Afterwards, I was expecting more technical questions. Instead the interviewer asked me what Microsoft products I liked and hated, and to explain why. The last question was a basic brain teaser that wasn't too bad. I would recommend that for the 1st round interview, expect more behavioral than technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What Microsoft products I like / hate and to explain why.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

First round interview on college campus. Talked about past experience then coding sample. Asked to reverse a string. Super simple. I got it correct yet still did not receive a response.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a String in any language you would like. Reverse the words in a string.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended on campus code competition, then submitted resume to the campus recruiter. Scheduled an on campus interview, 30 minutes. After one week got an on-site interview with 4 engineers. Received feedback within several days. In each interview been asked several normal behavior questions, and some coding questions, except the last one given a design question.

Interview Questions
    • All but the last one were super straight-forward. The last one was about designing and finding problems in a mass-system.   View Answer
    Did not really negotiated.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

1 interview at Evanston university. total cattle call.

Interviewer was bored out of his wits.

Took the train all the way up from the city and stressed about it - he didn't even fake interest.

Complete waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
      L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
      L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
      L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)
        Answer Question

too low salary

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

career fair in school, just been fooled

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Questions
    • What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   View Answer