Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Did one interview with me on campus, and then flew me out for a weekend. While there I was interviewed by 4 or 5 different people. Once the interviews were done, I waited (along with a group of others who were interviewing) for decisions to be made. As we left they gave offers to some of us.

Interview Questions
  • How would you create an algorithm to sort wine?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

1 interview at Evanston university. total cattle call.

Interviewer was bored out of his wits.

Took the train all the way up from the city and stressed about it - he didn't even fake interest.

Complete waste of time.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
      L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
      L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
      L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)
        Answer Question

too low salary

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Setup for the interview took a while due to reorganisation. The telephone interview was with the recruiter and was a straightforward design task. The on-campus interview entailed a return flight, two nights in a hotel, hotel meals, taxi fare, and lunch during the interview. The Microsoft travel facilitators were very flexible right up to confirmation of bookings. The day itself was somewhat disorganised, changing venues for almost every interview and with a last-minute reschedule. The interviews themselves ranged all over the place.

Interview Questions
    • There was less coding and more theory than I had expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

I got a on campus interview. Failed in the 2nd round. Asked me some basic algorithm questions. Easy but need to figure out different solutions.

Interview Questions
    • how to combine 2 sorted arrays together. Like 1357, 2468, the result should be 12345678   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

First Round of Interview

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell us about yourself and your work experience.
      2. What was the longest and the most complicated code you have ever written.
      3. If there are 3 baskets, having contents: Apples, Oranges and Apples + Oranges. All the baskets are mislabelled and not transparent. How many minimum baskets do you need to open to know the contents of all.
        View Answers (2)

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

career fair in school, just been fooled

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Questions
    • What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Typical interview process. Questions about my background, experience and my style of work. People were friendly and they asked good questions. I would say this is a standard interview and you should have nothing to worry about if you are a qualified candidate. I would arrive early because sometimes its hard to find the location.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Send my resume to a manager, got a one hour phone interview with him and he wanted to see me onsite. At that point he transmitted to a recruiter to schedule the trip.

Had 3 interview, lunch, and two more. Questions ranging from linked-list to graph. Overall questions were simple but you have to take great care about the coding on the whiteboard, I was not prepared to.

Interview Questions
    • It was a compiler team, I had to design an alias analysis.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!