Microsoft

Average Difficulty
109 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 1 interview at Evanston university. total cattle call.

Interviewer was bored out of his wits.

Took the train all the way up from the city and stressed about it - he didn't even fake interest.

Complete waste of time.

Interview Question – He asked about sanitizing input.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details – They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Question – Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – too low salary

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Setup for the interview took a while due to reorganisation. The telephone interview was with the recruiter and was a straightforward design task. The on-campus interview entailed a return flight, two nights in a hotel, hotel meals, taxi fare, and lunch during the interview. The Microsoft travel facilitators were very flexible right up to confirmation of bookings. The day itself was somewhat disorganised, changing venues for almost every interview and with a last-minute reschedule. The interviews themselves ranged all over the place.

Interview Question – There was less coding and more theory than I had expected.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – I got a on campus interview. Failed in the 2nd round. Asked me some basic algorithm questions. Easy but need to figure out different solutions.

Interview Question – how to combine 2 sorted arrays together. Like 1357, 2468, the result should be 12345678   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – First Round of Interview

Interview Question – 1. Tell us about yourself and your work experience.
2. What was the longest and the most complicated code you have ever written.
3. If there are 3 baskets, having contents: Apples, Oranges and Apples + Oranges. All the baskets are mislabelled and not transparent. How many minimum baskets do you need to open to know the contents of all.
  View Answers (2)

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – career fair in school, just been fooled

Interview Question – hard algorithm questions   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Question – What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Typical interview process. Questions about my background, experience and my style of work. People were friendly and they asked good questions. I would say this is a standard interview and you should have nothing to worry about if you are a qualified candidate. I would arrive early because sometimes its hard to find the location.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview Details – Send my resume to a manager, got a one hour phone interview with him and he wanted to see me onsite. At that point he transmitted to a recruiter to schedule the trip.

Had 3 interview, lunch, and two more. Questions ranging from linked-list to graph. Overall questions were simple but you have to take great care about the coding on the whiteboard, I was not prepared to.

Interview Question – It was a compiler team, I had to design an alias analysis.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – telephone interview

Interview Question – how many lines of code do you write in your entire projects   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!