Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2014

3.2

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Received an email and asked me to schedule a phone interview. Most of the questions are about my current project.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

First round interview on college campus

Interview Questions
    • your given 2 ordered list A and list B. B has enough space to hold its existing numbers plus all the numbers in A. Add the numbers from A in B. Make sure B is ordered. Whats the fastest way to do this?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had one interview with them. The interviewer was not bad. He asked some good questions, but he was a little bit unnerving when waiting for a response. The questions tested knowledge of proper algorithm usage and knowledge of Microsoft products as well.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite software application, and how would you make it better.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft.

I was referred to a recruiter by a friend who had interned there the previous summer. She contacted me and we set up an in-person interview on my university's campus. The recruiter was great. The interviewer...not so much. He barely introduced himself, and gave no explanation about what he did. We jumped right into a technical question. When I was explaining my answer (and not struggling, mind you) his phone went off and he pulled it out. He then proceeded to RESPOND TO AN EMAIL while I was talking. This was incredibly irritating and rude, but I assumed that he was still listening to what I was saying. Nope, when he was finished he looked up and asked me to repeat what I had just said. Incredibly unprofessional, and terrible interview etiquette.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 LinkedList ListNode pointers, determine if the two lists ever intersect. Building upon that, if they do intersect, at what node. Building on that, what do you do if there is a circle in the list, and can you detect one   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

30 minutes interview. First he asked me very few questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked this question "You have a string lets say "ABC" now write a program that prints out all the combinations of this string (for example: ACB, BAC, BCA...)"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ames, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I got a linked list questions. They may be like to ask these questions. I failed in the first campus interview. But i have not received any responds yet. I took the resume on the campus
    job fair. They also have some presentations on that recruit. There is one recruiter at least in your campis.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I reached out to the interviewer assigned to my region September, during my penultimate semester at college. We have scheduled a phone interview for a month later. The phone interview was similar to described by others, testing your knowledge about Microsoft, asking you to describe their favourite product, also checking your motivation behind applying to MSFT. Avoid cliche answers like: "I want to work for MSFT because of stability". Make sure you study what they do, especially stuff unrelated to the technical field like their community service, donations etc.

Once that was done, I received an invitation to onsite interviews. This was the moment crap hit the fan because despite applying for Hardware ENgineering position and insisting I want to do hardware/system level software I was assigned to interview with the MS Office division for cloud services position where my experiences and programming languages were a little inapplicable. But I was not aware of that until the very last interview.

Anyway, they flew me to Redmond for the technical interviews. The technical questions were related to data structures and recursion: 4 interveiwers asked me to code a solution to a problem on a white board. If your solution is not the best (90% of the time it wont) they will ask you how would you improve it.

The last interviewer finally told me that the whole time I was interviewing for a wrong position. SO I spoke with the coordinator and they told me they will try to fix it. They directed me to the recruiter who assigned me to that particular division. That interviewer promised to call me to speak about it. I scheduled the phone call but nobody ever called me. Then I had enough.

Interview Questions
    • Recursive fibonacci, make a lookup table to speed it up;
      Remove duplicated letters in a string
      Given a linked list where every node points to two different nodes, make a duplicate of it.
        View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Submitted my resume in the career fair, got contacted after two weeks. Scheduled a on-campus interview. Got rejected after a day or two

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Had interned while in school, so was invited straight for onsite

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, just took the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

I submitted my resume in a campus career fair. In the career fair the person interviewed me told me that hardware position are very limited this year and encouraged me to apply for a low level programmer position. I received an email asking me to schedule a on campus interview after 2 days.

Interview Questions
    • Ask me to write program on paper to find a missing number in a sorted array.   Answer Question