Microsoft

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview Details – This was through a college recruitment. Phone interview to assess for a technical internship. Mostly behavioral type of questions. Asked some questions about my preferences in language; details about projects, what they did, any team mates that I worked with. I had to . Then a small brain teaser about dividing up some sticks.

Interview Question – Silly brainteasers that depend mostly on how well the interviewer can communicate with you. My question was paying workers with gold bar segments and you can only cut it 2 times.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview Details – It was surprisingly easy and clean. Had an on campus filtering interview followed by a day of interviews on-site at Seattle which came within a week. The results were communicated back in less than 48 hours. They do coax you to accept the job and push you to make a decision quickly, which I think is reasonable.

Interview Question – Very predictable. Lots of coding questions and the bar raiser being a Dynamic programming question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations since I was a fresher and I didn't have any competing job offers at that time.

Software Development Engineer I

I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I am respecting the process, but my experience was that I got an on-campus interview, 45 min. Went well enough. I got contacted the next day that I would have another round of interviews, which turned out to be scheduled for the following morning at 8 am, where I had two 45 min interviews back to back on-campus. I thought it was an interesting process that didn't leave a lot of time to prepare

Interview Question – Study algorithms, prepare for problem solving questions   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus interview where I met with an engineer from the company. We went over 3 questions during the interview and then he mentioned that I would hear from someone in regard to moving forward. 2 weeks later, I heard that I made the final round and arranged a flight to WA. The final interview consisted of 5 interviews with different groups.

Interview Question – I was asked about C small details   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – 45 minute campus interview with an engineer. If you pass the first, you'll be invited for a second, then usually flown to Seattle for further interviews if you pass the second.

Interview Question – Involved knowing a bit of number theory.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – Contact with school recruiter and got an interview after a week. I expected the interviewee with a technical guy but it turn out with a recruiter. She ask about background, and 1 question (brain storm). I was disappointed since no coding question is asked.

Interview Question – Very simple question: There are 9 jars. 8 jars contain marbles which each marble weights 1 gram, and 1 jar contains marbles weight 1.1 gram. With a scale display number, how can define which jar contain 1.1 gram marble with only 1 scale.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – one screening phone interview, 3 phone interviews, 2 on-site interviews

Interview Question – a phone interview question write sql query to access SQL database   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume in a college job fair, then got contacted for an on-campus interview. Typical HR questions followed by an easy coding question. After that I went to Redmond for full-day on site interview. 4 interviews of 1 hour in length and 1 lunch interview. It was a typical day as explained in other reviews, nothing special. All interviews started with some chat, followed by multiple technical coding questions. No advanced questions at all, I solved all problems using either a hash table or a linked list, nothing fancy. I thought I did well, no offer was a surprise.

Other than that, everything went perfectly smooth, I was well informed during the whole process, got the results in a few days.

Interview Questions

• Given a string of format '2+3*2-1', calculate and return the result. No parenthesis in the input, just integers and + - * / operators. Operator precedence has to be considered. Linear time complexity and minimal data structure use is preferred.   View Answers (4)
  • Implement a queue using a circular data structure. Provide put and get functions. Also talked about how to provide thread safety.   View Answer

Pomona, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview with a project manager. Talked about his experience moving from sales to software development to project management, asked typical interview questions (hardest project, teamwork problems you've had, etc.) No technical questions, although it seems like this changes from place to place. The interviewer indicated that he was not the one who decided on an outcome, but there's no way to tell for sure.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just typical interview questions. If you're good at interviewing, you'll get past this part, if you aren't, then you won't. It doesn't seem like they looked at resumes / experience very much. I was expecting at least one technical question, but there were none.   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied through University recruiting

Just a puzzle regarding marbles (find jar having the marble with extra weight)
How to implement malloc and free in memory heaps
Given radio stations find the top 6 ones with the highest strengths

Havent heard back yet...dunno why thats not an option

Interview Question – The Malloc one   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Waiting on the result.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!