Microsoft Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014
24 interviews

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer I Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I am respecting the process, but my experience was that I got an on-campus interview, 45 min. Went well enough. I got contacted the next day that I would have another round of interviews, which turned out to be scheduled for the following morning at 8 am, where I had two 45 min interviews back to back on-campus. I thought it was an interesting process that didn't leave a lot of time to prepare

Interview Questions
  • Study algorithms, prepare for problem solving questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Questions
    • Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Was flown into Seattle for full round of interviews for internship.

Interview Questions
    • Have you seen the progress bar on windows, that shows estimated time left for transferring your file to external hard disk? Design a class/function to display that time. Given hard disk file transfer rate and a function to measure how much many bytes of the file have actually been transferred.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

First got an interview on school campus, then scheduled an on-site test on Seattle one week later. The first interview on campus is extremely easy, questions like:"why do you want this position", "Write a program to reverse a string". The on-site interview is scheduled for 2-3days, which they gathered all the interviewer together and have a dinner and talk about what the interview process will be and how is the live in Seattle. The interview takes all day with 4 1-1 interviews. Each with different person interviewing you and last for 30min. The questions included data structures, algo, logo, and simulation. They decided to give the result RIGHT AFTER the interviews, which makes ppl really excited, however, I didnt get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • there is an array with 99 length long, each spot will have number from 1-100, number will never repeat on the array. Give as many way as possible to find the missing number.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Had one on campus interview.
    Then 4 rounds of 1-1 interviews in Seattle, Redomond office.

It was for SDE and all were programming questions.

i)doubly linked list pairwise swap
    iii) a. N length integer array. numbers in the range 1-K. (K < N). Find the numbers that are present w/o using extra memory and should not change the array.
     b. code Graph coloring problem.
    iv) one easy question on cards ranking in poker. some additions to it as the coding was done.

Interview Questions
    • i)doubly linked list pairwise swap   Answer Question
    • ii) 2D matrix with nums increasing in right direction and downwards direction. Search for a target number.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

initial in campus screening followed by 5 rounds of interviews on site

Interview Questions
    • all questions were regular questions you can find on glassdoor, careercup   Answer Question

big company minimal impact

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

A recruiter reached me via linkedin and scheduled a f2f interview two days later in a hotel. Had five rounds of technical discussion (each 1 hour) and they told there may be one more round (may be technical). 1week later they scheduled a video call with a director (but it was actually an audio only with screen sharing). We talked about some design level ideas then he asked a technical question. I was running into trouble to setup the video call because I'd a mac (hope you understand because the video call tool was developed by MS).

Interview Questions
    • Imagine there are n cities (say c1, c2....cn) connected circularly and each of them has a petrol bunk (say p1,p2...pn). The distance between each cities are d1, d2...dn. Here 1unit of petrol will be used to travel 1unit of distance. You can start from any city so that you can go through all of them and reach the same location (city). Find from where we've to begin the navigation.
      FOR EXAMPLE:
      c1-->c2-->c3-->c1
      p1 has 2ltr
      p2 has 10ltr
      p3 has 4ltr

and the distance between each cities:
      c1<-->c2: 3
      c2<-->c3: 2
      c3<-->c1: 8

Here we've to start at c2 in-order to come back again to the same place.

Explain the logic to find whether u can come back to the same location. Find where to start. Write a program for the same. Write test cases for the same.
        View Answer
    • You're converting a string (s1) into another (s2) by changing the characters in s1. You can do add/delete/replace the characters of s1 to get s2. The cost of any of those operation for a character is 1. Find the minimum cost to convert s1 into s2. Write program and test cases for the same.
      For example: Convert "Hi" into "Hey". This would require minimum two cost.
      1. Replace 'i' with 'e' in s1
      2. Add 'y' to s1.
      Now we've s2.
        View Answer
    • Write a program to iterate through a 2D grid in a spiral way. Since I can't attach images here, I'll explain it using an array. Imagine you've a nxm matrix of bytes. you've iterate through it in a spiral way. It means, iterate the first row (left to right), then iterate through the right most column (top-bottom) then iterate the bottom most row (right-left) until you reach the center of the matrix. Hope its clear now.   View Answer
    • You've a singly linked list where every node in the list has a field "random" which points to other node in the same list. Write a function to clone this list (create a new copy of the same). Don't use extra space (just the pointer variables are fine).   View Answers (3)
    • Some other standard questions:
      1. Given a BST and a range, print all the numbers that comes in that range.
      Ex: the function will be something like: print(node * head, int x, int y);
      It has to print all numbers within the rage x&y
      2. Print max height (level) of a binary search tree.
      3. Given an array of integers, determine the sub array which makes max sum.
      4. Find LCA of the binary search tree.
        View Answer

Salary was less. They were just matching my CTC and it required relocation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

It was surprisingly easy and clean. Had an on campus filtering interview followed by a day of interviews on-site at Seattle which came within a week. The results were communicated back in less than 48 hours. They do coax you to accept the job and push you to make a decision quickly, which I think is reasonable.

Interview Questions
    • Very predictable. Lots of coding questions and the bar raiser being a Dynamic programming question   Answer Question
    No negotiations since I was a fresher and I didn't have any competing job offers at that time.

Anonymous Employee  in  Pomona, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

On campus interview with a project manager. Talked about his experience moving from sales to software development to project management, asked typical interview questions (hardest project, teamwork problems you've had, etc.) No technical questions, although it seems like this changes from place to place. The interviewer indicated that he was not the one who decided on an outcome, but there's no way to tell for sure.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just typical interview questions. If you're good at interviewing, you'll get past this part, if you aren't, then you won't. It doesn't seem like they looked at resumes / experience very much. I was expecting at least one technical question, but there were none.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

one screening phone interview, 3 phone interviews, 2 on-site interviews

Interview Questions
    • a phone interview question write sql query to access SQL database   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!