Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Referred by friend. Took a standard coding question on phone. 2 days on-site interview. 1 day for HR only, 1 day for techniques. 2 Technique interview, 1 lunch, then told me you'd better begone. I was very unlucky. I know senior guys in Microsoft tend to ask puzzles, I met a senior like this. Furthermore, he was in VERY BAD MOOD. Because of Friday? My current job is despised like a baby game for him. He kept yelling why you do NOT know this windows system function, why you do NOT answer my question in the way I like. And he explained his work with a stupid pride. Overall, background not matching. Completely waste of time. But it is my fault at first place. I should not even apply, as a pure Linux application developer and Windows-hater. More sadly, all the technical questions in the first 5 pages of Glassdoor Microsoft interview are not asked. So it is hard to know how to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Write 4 locker functions: acquire_read_lock, acquire_write_lock, release_read_lock, release_write_lock. Use Windows specific helper functions. 1 more brain teasing puzzle.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

This was an internal interview process, so it started with an informational with the hiring manager (~1hr discussion around what the team does, what my current responsibilities were, and why I was interested in the position). Next, there were 3 technical interviews, all about an hour long. Finally, there was a interview with the Engineering Director for that group - that lasted 1.5 hours, and we discussed why I thought I would be a good fit for that team.

Interview Questions

• Imagine a random distribution of water droplets spread across the whiteboard, design an algorithm to create the maximal enclosed area by connecting the water droplets with lines.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process took 8 weeks. I was referred by a friend and was contacted by an engineering manager first. We set up a phone screening for the week after. Then two weeks went by and then I was contacted by a recruiter. She wanted to setup a phone screening but then after a few weeks she told me the hiring manager wanted to go to on-site after hearing about my phone screening. Some how I got lost in the flow of things. They flew me out the next week, very short deadline and notice, for four interviews. After my fourth interview they tacked on a fifth. The last was with the hiring manager. He told me normally when he meets recruits it is a good thing so I should not worry, however he did not want to give out an offer yet. He wanted to see where to put me. He said I was good but not what he normally hirers, i.e. not a new grad or experienced professional. I was changing from teaching in Academia for five years. After I got back on Tuesday, I was informed on Wednesday night, 3 hour time difference, that my recruiter received my feedback and wanted to schedule a time to talk the next day. We talked on Thursday where she gave me an offer for SDEII. Very exciting. I did negotiate but not on the yearly salary or bonuses as they were very competitive and above what I was expecting.

Interview Questions

• I will abide by the NDA so I will not disclose the actual questions. I can say that I was asked some fairly tough questions. One was an actual problem they were asked to do, he should me the design requirements. The last of the four said she normally does not ask this difficult of a question but for me she would. It was tough. I will say study your basic data structures and algorithms like sorting, searching, trees, recursion, and design patterns.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview that wasn't too bad! Question: 1. One with difficulty like implement strncmp or strcat, etc... 2. One that seemed easy but with a twist. Onsite: 4 interviews in total Questions: Know your algos and data structures and you will be fine. Interviewers are comfortable and give tips to help! Didn't do well on my last interview, which I think was the deciding factor for me to not get hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

one online round and 4 in house rounds (2 algorithms, 1 straight up coding and 1 behavioral/senior). got a offer confirmation the day of the interview - which was surprisingly fast and delightful ! Team - Azure AD. Had a telephonic conversation with team manager in under a week, and was a really good positive overall experience. The offer though was slightly lower than what I was currently making but I would have saved more if i moved to seattle - but the benefits were pretty neat. I ended up declining the offer due to a compensation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• the usual algo/coding questions. try careercup / geeksforgeeks.org / etc.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job. Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone. Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM. I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume at a campus career fair. Heard back a couple weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. The on campus interview was a half hour long and had just two questions: 1. Given two nodes in a tree, find their ancestor 2. Given a function that does some bit operations, determine what it does and find the bug. About 2 weeks after the on-campus interview I was informed that I would be moving forward in the interview process. This was one negative of the process for me, because I was asked to interview for a position nowhere near the locations I specified as being my preferred choices. The team I interviewed with was also quite different that the interests I discussed in my campus interview. The hiring event consisted of 4 45-60 minuter interviews. Each interview varied a bit. Some of the other people interviewing received nearly all design questions while others had mostly coding/algorithm questions. I had a mix of design and coding questions which were done on the whiteboard. For all of the coding/algorithm questions time and space requirements were discussed as the approach was talked through. No specific requirements were given at the start of a question, but the resulting complexities had to be discussed and justified. Some questions related to balancing the time and space requirements. Test cases were also discussed for each question ranging from use cases to catching integer overflow. The final design question was very open ended, which I think actually tripped me up a bit because after several focused technical questions, I had trouble thinking from a broad design point of view. Overall, I felt the interviews all went well, but with no feedback from the interviewers I can't say what it was that kept me from getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a non-negative integer array that is then shuffled and 1 element is removed, find which element was removed. 2. Assume you are designing/writing code for some small business software how would you go about creating a clean, extensible method for calculating sales tax that can be extended easily to work in different parts of the world. 3. (Two separate questions) 3a. Given an integer array, remove the duplicate values and return an integer array 3b. Test a dice role generator method 4. Design a system for tracking employee applicants through the interview process   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

This was an internal move, so slightly less stressful than an external application. I still went through 4 hours of loops asking a variety of technical questions and theoretical software design questions.

Interview Questions

• Build a list of all words in a novel as well as a count of duplicate words   Answer Question