Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2014

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern

I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details – Meet them at a college career fair, had interview at my college a week later. Then was invited out to Redmond for an on campus series of interviews. They took care of the travel plans and hotel along with reimbursing for meals taxi fares to get around. On campus interviews were interesting, series of interviews with different developers in the team I was being considered for. Typically about 2 programming questions and a few general questions with each developer.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was "How would you test a parachute?"   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – One on-campus interview, then one on-site all-day interview (Redmond in my case).

Interview Question – Test a bicycle.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

Interview Details – Met Microsoft at a career fair. Had an on campus first round interview and 6 weeks later was contacted about going to Seattle for the final round. The entire interview process took around 2.5-3 months

Interview Question – Given any number break it down into a multiplication of all prime numbers ie 8 => 2 x 2 x 2. Shift an array by x spots in place. Design and test a file backup system.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for interns but there are several stipends (travel, living, relocation, etc...)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – 2 rounds: Phone interview then on Microsoft campus interview

Interview Question – How to test the function sort in Excel   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – Have a friend who works for Microsoft. He came to my campus as a campus recruiter, so I submitted my resume to him. Had a phone interview later that week. Heard back that they wanted me to fly out to Seattle a week or two later. Flew out, and had a great trip. 4 interviews, 45 minutes long, focusing on problem-solving skills, coding skills, and comfort with Java and C++. Heard back the next day that I got the offer. Since then, Microsoft has been great throughout the whole process. I'm excited to intern there Summer 2014!

Interview Question – There was a question about delimiters that was tough.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was blown away by the offer, honestly. I couldn't bring myself to negotiate haha.

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – An on campus recruiter saw that I was skilled and pushed me onto a phone interview. Basic questions, if you can't get past this part without any prep, you're really not for this job, seriously. I was then sent up to Microsoft's headquarters and went through 5 rounds of interviews, including a lunch interview. All the interviewers asked programming questions except for the lunch interview, in which I interview my interviewer. They were all super nice, and it was one of the best experiences thus far.

Interview Question – The most unexpected interview was when I was supposed to interview my interviewer during lunch. While not entirely difficult, it was totally unexpected.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Other opportunities.

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – One in college interview and than 4 on campus interview.
Those 4 interviews will be as expected. You will be asked to write code on white board.I actually wrote code for 3 rounds and one was lunch interview. Questions were simple.
In lunch interview they would be interested to know about your background and interests etc.It appeared to me that all interviewers were sharing feedback with each other so next one would come to know if you did not do well in a specific area.
My first three interviews were with team leads and fourth one was with my hiring manager.

Interview Question – everything was as expected, nothing very difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

College Station, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – Campus interview in career center. one to one environment. lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer indicated at the beginning that the interview will be fast pace and various kinds of questions will be answered. There were no questions regarding my resume. I was asked some two coding questions, two knowledge based questions, and two open questions

Interview Question – How would you explain internet to a five year old?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details – My first communications with Microsoft were during campus recruiting. I went to their events, but more so because I was interested in the company and their advice for me, not because I had my sights on an internship with them (though I ended up getting one anyway!) I was thrilled/shocked when I found out I had an on campus interview!
To prepare, I bought a book called "Cracking the Coding Interview" (It's magical, I'm telling you. I highly recommend it). The day finally arrived!

On Campus Interview: Half an hour long. Firstly, the interviewer had Windows 8 on a touchscreen computer, which he let me play with. I asked him some semi-informed questions (I had done a little bit of research on Windows 8 beforehand), which I think he appreciated (example: "The design seems like it's made for a touchscreen, like you have here. Is it still good with a mouse?").
Next, he started with the famed questions! It wasn't hard (especially because I practiced binary tree traversal) - given a binary tree, multiply the value in each node by 2. Once I did that, there was the expected "Ok, now test it". I came up with several test cases, including seeing what would happen if the values were large enough to cause integer overflow once multiplied by two. He said he'd never heard that answer before, which I guarantee was the thing that got me to the second interview.
The next question was an object-oriented design question that I had no idea what the answer was, so I was convinced I'd bombed my interview.

The next day... I got an email inviting me to a second-round interview in Redmond! I was shocked/humbled/etc. About a month and a half later, I was off to Seattle, convinced that I was dreadfully underprepared.

Second Round Interview: If you make it here, LEAVE THE HOTEL EARLY. I got so lost and was barely on time. First thing in the morning: Meet with recruiter. She informed me that I'd be interviewing with the Windows Phone team. (I've never touched a Windows phone, so I figured I was doomed, but it turns out that they're not interested with your experience with specific technologies!)
Now, most candidates have a lunch interview, but my interviewer actually forgot to do that, so I was unlucky enough to have 4 (mostly) intense interviews on an empty stomach (he was very ashamed later!).
-Interview 1: Hardest of them all, I thought. My interviewer was really intense (really smart - I respected him!) and asked me to implement a linked list. Also, basic object oriented principles
-Interview 2: My interviewer found out that I like Project Euler, so he asked me a programming question based on that. Also, he wrote code on the board and asked me to find the bug.
-Interview 3: One of the coolest guys I've ever met. He pretty much did a full-blown personality analysis on me (scarily accurate) within the first 5 minutes of meeting me. Then he asked me a brainteaser that I couldn't get the final answer to, but he seemed ok with that.
-Interview 4: Finally a non-technical interview! It was with the manager, who told me that my interview was going great (not what I was thinking - so it was a relief!). We talked about life at Microsoft, etc, and then he sent me home.

I waited for 2 days (that seemed like eons) to hear back from them. I wasn't confident, but I really wanted to know so that I could move on with my life. The recruiter responded with a short response to my thank you email that said Microsoft wanted to offer me the internship! She then called me to discuss the offer, and told me that the team wanted me to know that they interviewed several people for the position, but I was their top choice (which really REALLY shocked me!). I accepted!

Final notes: Be enthusiastic. Prepare. Don't make yourself seem like all you do with your life is computers, but really, know a lot about coding. Ask intelligent questions (and clarifying questions!).
I can't wait to start - good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• You have a building with 100 stories. You also have two glass balls. You can drop the glass balls as many times as you want before they break. How can you find the floor at which they start breaking with the fewest number of drops?   View Answers (3)
  • Implement a linked list   Answer Question
  • Given an integer, write a function that rotates the digits to the right.   Answer Question
  • How would you test this plastic, compostable knife?   View Answer

Intern Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Intern Software Development Engineer In Test
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Interview Details – 1.) Sent in an online application and e-mailed the university recruiter.

2.) Waited for about a month

3.) Initial phone interview with recruiter
  - Mostly general questions (e.g. why do you want to work at Microsoft etc.)

4.) waited 1-2 weeks (don't remember how many)

5.) Given an interview in Redmond ( 2-3 weeks after the initial phone interview)

6.) Had 4 interviews in Redmond

7.) Recieved a job offer about a week later

Interview Question – Given a string, I was asked to return all of the unique characters in the order of the original string.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – -Job offers for interns are pretty much standard.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!