Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions & Reviews

19 interviews

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Campus Interview. 30 mins
MSFT also hosted interview prep session on campus before interviewing candidates, take advantage of it.
Behavioral question: describe the most difficult task you have overcome, or most annoying bug you resolved in projects.

Interview Questions
  • Technical Question : Remove duplicate entries from a single link list   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

The position was for a college grad. There was an on campus screening. The interviewer asked me problem solving questions and C programming questions. They got back to me a week later and I was asked to interview at the MS Hiring Event in Redmond. This consisted of 4 - 45 min interviews with members of various teams. Each interview was primarily focusing on one problem per interview.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were technical or problem solving. I never expected any of them to be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

First of all, the interview process was really fun. The interviewer was really sweet and patient. The first round had no technical questions at all. She only asked about me, the projects and a few behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was tough.. You had to just make sure that you answered the question to the point.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Microsoft was on campus and took resumes, although they say you can either apply online or hand them the resume's personally. They did not schedule an interview until I applied online. Although I did not even qualify for the second round, they had the second round of interviews, the very next day again on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Remove all duplicate words from a string of words. Not just the duplicate but all the instances of the duplicates need to be removed.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

I went to interview in 2008 from Microsoft office team. I had one phone interview, and then, I got an on-site interview. I have great opportunity to be interviewed one hour for each interviewer. The technical question is not difficult, but I did not organize very well about testing cases, also, the white board questions-solving process I did not have chance to present it very well, I should have cut 10-15 minutes to solve the problem and gave a good explanation instead 30-40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Give a sport you like to play, and ask how many test cases to test, for example: a tennis racquet, give out test cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

First round was an on campus interview which was fairly easy. Later was called to interview onsite in Seattle for an SDET position in the XBOX live team. Consisted of 4 technical interviews. All of them were fairly easy except one which i guess was the bar raiser and also the reason i didn't get selected.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a single linked list   Answer Question
    • Given a string say "ABCD". Now create a new string with duplicates of each character in the original string and to it append the reverse of the same string (with duplicates) excluding the last character.

First iteration: AABBCCCCBBAA
      Second iteration: AABBBBAA
      Third iteration: AAAAA
        View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2010.

2 phone interviews, then 3 Live Meeting Interviews within a day instead of the on site interview.

The phone interviews went well. But problems happened during the Live meeting interviews.

I never finished each question because each interviewer spent more than half an hour trying to share notepad through Live Meeting. So, there were no time to complete the coding questions.

Software Development Engineer in Test Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

I was contacted by a staffing company about a temp to perm position at Microsoft for an SDET position. Since this was with a staffing company, and I did not live in the area, I did not have any face to face contact, rather, all contact was done over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • They were all standard industry questions. I was surprised not to be asked any of the legendary Microsoft questions.   Answer Question

Pay was not competitive with other offers.

Software Development Engineer in Test Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

Everyone who came for the 1:1 interview has to undergo interviews with 3 diff persons for an hr each. At end of 3rd interview, they take it forward depending on how you have given the interview.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

I had a phone screening interview. Several theoretical questions, like virtual memory, paging. process vs thread, so on. Then I had 3 technical interviews. Then HR, HiringManager and AA (Big boss) interviews.
    Interview's questions: Design questions, maze solver, tree serialization/deserialization, many theoretical questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!