Microsoft

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Campus Interview. 30 mins
MSFT also hosted interview prep session on campus before interviewing candidates, take advantage of it.
Behavioral question: describe the most difficult task you have overcome, or most annoying bug you resolved in projects.

Interview Question – Technical Question : Remove duplicate entries from a single link list   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details – The position was for a college grad. There was an on campus screening. The interviewer asked me problem solving questions and C programming questions. They got back to me a week later and I was asked to interview at the MS Hiring Event in Redmond. This consisted of 4 - 45 min interviews with members of various teams. Each interview was primarily focusing on one problem per interview.

Interview Question – All questions were technical or problem solving. I never expected any of them to be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – First of all, the interview process was really fun. The interviewer was really sweet and patient. The first round had no technical questions at all. She only asked about me, the projects and a few behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Nothing was tough.. You had to just make sure that you answered the question to the point.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Interview Details – Microsoft was on campus and took resumes, although they say you can either apply online or hand them the resume's personally. They did not schedule an interview until I applied online. Although I did not even qualify for the second round, they had the second round of interviews, the very next day again on campus.

Interview Question – Remove all duplicate words from a string of words. Not just the duplicate but all the instances of the duplicates need to be removed.   View Answers (3)

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

Interview Details – I went to interview in 2008 from Microsoft office team. I had one phone interview, and then, I got an on-site interview. I have great opportunity to be interviewed one hour for each interviewer. The technical question is not difficult, but I did not organize very well about testing cases, also, the white board questions-solving process I did not have chance to present it very well, I should have cut 10-15 minutes to solve the problem and gave a good explanation instead 30-40 minutes.

Interview Question – Give a sport you like to play, and ask how many test cases to test, for example: a tennis racquet, give out test cases.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details – First round was an on campus interview which was fairly easy. Later was called to interview onsite in Seattle for an SDET position in the XBOX live team. Consisted of 4 technical interviews. All of them were fairly easy except one which i guess was the bar raiser and also the reason i didn't get selected.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a single linked list   Answer Question
  • Given a string say "ABCD". Now create a new string with duplicates of each character in the original string and to it append the reverse of the same string (with duplicates) excluding the last character.

First iteration: AABBCCCCBBAA
    Second iteration: AABBBBAA
    Third iteration: AAAAA
      View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, then 3 Live Meeting Interviews within a day instead of the on site interview.

The phone interviews went well. But problems happened during the Live meeting interviews.

I never finished each question because each interviewer spent more than half an hour trying to share notepad through Live Meeting. So, there were no time to complete the coding questions.

Interview Question – How would you test a DVD player?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer in Test Interview

Software Development Engineer in Test

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a staffing company about a temp to perm position at Microsoft for an SDET position. Since this was with a staffing company, and I did not live in the area, I did not have any face to face contact, rather, all contact was done over the phone.

Interview Question – They were all standard industry questions. I was surprised not to be asked any of the legendary Microsoft questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was not competitive with other offers.

Software Development Engineer in Test Interview

Software Development Engineer in Test
San Jose, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

Interview Details – Everyone who came for the 1:1 interview has to undergo interviews with 3 diff persons for an hr each. At end of 3rd interview, they take it forward depending on how you have given the interview.

Interview Questions

Software Development Engineer In Test

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone screening interview. Several theoretical questions, like virtual memory, paging. process vs thread, so on. Then I had 3 technical interviews. Then HR, HiringManager and AA (Big boss) interviews.
Interview's questions: Design questions, maze solver, tree serialization/deserialization, many theoretical questions.

Interview Question – Maze solver - DFS, BFS   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!