Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2014

3.2

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft.

I gave my resume to college recruiter. Invited to attend a what to expect during the interview meeting. Then given an on campus interview the day after. The interviewer was a developer from Redmond. This was round one of process. I was told round two and three would be at Redmond.

Interview Questions
  • There were behavioral questions and some technical questions. The one technical question I remembered was N-queens problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Basically just received an email that told me to schedule an interview time. I did and signed up for a phone interview. A week later, I completed a phone interview. We talked about responsibilities of the position, and then went into the technical questions. I was asked a basic sorting question, then asked to describe my preferred search algorithm. All pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would install and configure a router for a home network?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I gave my resume to a Microsoft recruiter at a presentation at my university. I got an email from another recruiter a week or two later. They said that they'd like me to come in for an on-campus interview, and asked for a quick response so they could schedule it. I responded immediately and gave my availability (which ended up being only one day), and then never heard from them until NOON OF THAT DAY, when they asked if I could come in at 2 PM.
    I had given up on the interview by then, but I agreed to come in even though I was unprepared. The interviewer asked me one question about linked lists, but he seemed almost as unprepared for interviewing as me, and the interview lasted only about 20 minutes. By the end of it, we both knew it wasn't going anywhere.

I applied online and received interview after 2 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

A phone interview after 3 weeks of applying.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare data structures - array, list, linked list, binary tree, hash maps, etc   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Had a 30 min phone interview mainly about my coursework and project. Its been almost 4 weeks now and I have not heard from them regarding my result. I have emailed the HR about 5-6 times and she has not even answered once. This puts a big doubt about Microsoft's hiring process. It appears that they do not value people's time. With the HR not replying, I do not know how to know my result. I have not had such an experience with any other company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I passed the on-campus interview last April. But the positions are full for that summer so they asked me to have an on-site interview in Nov. But failed. The project fails to match my background.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online on October. Got informed from HR on January. Then had a non technical HR phone screen. I did't get through this interview.
    There are two portions for this interview.
    First are some typical behavioral questions. Describe the hardest project, etc. And there are some weird questions like what's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project. What's a language that you are most familiar with.
    Then the brain teaser question. The nine ball question. It's everywhere online.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (Intern) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Saw an ad for it at college, applied, passed CV screening, then there was a phone interview (it was an opening in Redmond for Brazilian students). Interviewer asked a bit about college experiences, previous programming experiences/portfolio, and some technical questions. Didn't pass since the main question was a software testing one and I didn't know anything about that. There were internships in development and testing, but they clearly wanted people who would accept the testing jobs.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!