Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2014

3.2

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

A phone interview, followed by 3 interviews in Seattle.

Interview Questions
  • The DSP round: I was not expecting this, but I was bombarded with various questions on DSP. Though since I was interviewing for the video DSP team, I should have known better.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Recruiting personnel were top notch. The process of flying out to Redmond was smooth and easy. I was never lost or confused about where to go. The series of 4 interviews was challenging and mentally exhausting, but I felt pretty good about it all--even after tripping up a bit on some questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you write a program to show a stack trace given a raw stack dump.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was possible. The compensation was already very high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Great culture, really friendly recruiter, and awesome welcoming process to Seattle. They really made sure I enjoyed my stay and came to know the city and the culture.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

It was what you expect from a Microsoft interview. I was contacted for an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very quiet, but he knew what he was talking about. He asked the standard fare of behavioral questions and then asked the technical question. The solution he offered me wasn't correct though, not that I answered it correctly either.
    Additionally, it seemed he didn't have much mobility in the company since he said he has been in part of the team for the Start button for years now.

Interview Questions
    • Being only the first interview, there were no hard questions, but they asked why I liked library A or library B and such questions.   View Answer

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

I applied just before my university's Career Fair, and was asked to interview almost immediately on campus. They asked several personal questions about why I liked to program and a couple behavioral questions.

All the questions that followed were technical by nature and seemed pretty standard. My first question was related to strings. I was to create a method to reverse the words of a string.
    i.e., "Hello World" => "World Hello"

Interview Questions
    • Another question they asked was database related, which I have nearly no knowledge of. They asked how I would handle a scenario of retrieving data from a database, then storing it within a data structure. The data from the database included customers' names and the items they previously purchased from Microsoft.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Started from school career fair, I was selected to attend an on campus interview. 2 weeks later, I received an email saying that they would move me to Seattle for an onsite interview.
    On-site interview took a day long with 4 interviews, starting at 9:00 and ending at 1:00pm. After lunch, I was informed that I was offered an SDE intern position.

Overall, the questions were not so hard. However, you should show how would you attack the problem. Interviewers knew that questions were posted online and they not only expect you a correct answer, but also your thoughts/understandings.
    Be prepared with algorithms and data structures.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Through university campus recruitment, one screen interview at the university and then full interview at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview: reverse a number e.g. 12345 -> 54321 (just use arithmetic and a loop), talk about your projects

3 back to back on-site interviews: print out a BST in-order, partition an array of integers with odd integers to the left and even integers to the right, create a queue data structure with 2 stacks

Phone interview with a higher-up manager: the pirate game (see wikipedia entry)

Hiring process took a bit longer than expected, otherwise things went smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • Implement an online LRU cache to keep track of browser history (not worded in that way, but after the interview, I realized this was effectively what they were asking) e.g. keep track of the 5 most recently seen items without duplicates.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Received an email saying that Microsoft would like to speak to me over the phone after applying online. Interview went smoothly enough and consisted of a couple of brainteasers (the marble one listed and one other). I received a generic rejection email a week later saying that Microsoft decided to pursue other candidates.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a career fair at my college. After about two weeks I got an email telling me to go to the interview. The interviewer was friendly and there was not much pressure, but the question is not easy..