Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

On-campus interview: reverse a number e.g. 12345 -> 54321 (just use arithmetic and a loop), talk about your projects

3 back to back on-site interviews: print out a BST in-order, partition an array of integers with odd integers to the left and even integers to the right, create a queue data structure with 2 stacks

Phone interview with a higher-up manager: the pirate game (see wikipedia entry)

Hiring process took a bit longer than expected, otherwise things went smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Implement an online LRU cache to keep track of browser history (not worded in that way, but after the interview, I realized this was effectively what they were asking) e.g. keep track of the 5 most recently seen items without duplicates.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I applied through a career fair at my college. After about two weeks I got an email telling me to go to the interview. The interviewer was friendly and there was not much pressure, but the question is not easy..

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

applied at career fair, heard back to schedule an interview on campus within a week. i was a little disappointed because i dont know what they were looking for...i worked through the coding problem fine and the interviewer seemed to have a good time

Interview Questions

• given a number in string format ("13") and an int (10) write a function to return the number in the specified base (ie, convert("13", 16) returns 19)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Received an email saying that Microsoft would like to speak to me over the phone after applying online. Interview went smoothly enough and consisted of a couple of brainteasers (the marble one listed and one other). I received a generic rejection email a week later saying that Microsoft decided to pursue other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

I passed the on-campus interview last April. But the positions are full for that summer so they asked me to have an on-site interview in Nov. But failed. The project fails to match my background.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

One interview. I am very confused with Microsoft's goals and public vs. private appearances. In public, they seem very interested in young, new ideas. They seem interested in trying to get back into the market. But in private, during developer's talks, and interviews, they seem very stuck to the same old Microsoft mentality that has led to them losing a large share of the Consumer Market. They seem to still be layering more problems and layers of complexity on top of their old, what I think is, ineffective system. They are trying to fix bugs, not by fundamentally changing this system which has allowed them to flourish, but by adding more layers of protection on top. Rather than listening to consumers they seem to be just trying what they think is right.
    During their advertisements to us Computer Science undergrads, they emphasize the fact that they are turning a corner, trying to recruit new ideas, that they are trying to increase diversity. But during my interview there was no sign of this at all. It was conducted by a white, older man who works on some low-level operating system part. He seemed really interested in just the details of the machine and what it is doing.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose. But have a good idea of how the ASCII table is organized. Understand malloc's internals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview, then flown to Seattle for a final interview.

Interview Questions

• You have one million pieces of data stored on each of 100 different computers. How do you sort the data?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

I gave my resume to a Microsoft recruiter at a presentation at my university. I got an email from another recruiter a week or two later. They said that they'd like me to come in for an on-campus interview, and asked for a quick response so they could schedule it. I responded immediately and gave my availability (which ended up being only one day), and then never heard from them until NOON OF THAT DAY, when they asked if I could come in at 2 PM.
    I had given up on the interview by then, but I agreed to come in even though I was unprepared. The interviewer asked me one question about linked lists, but he seemed almost as unprepared for interviewing as me, and the interview lasted only about 20 minutes. By the end of it, we both knew it wasn't going anywhere.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

School recruiting, two rounds of technical interviews

Interview Questions

• Implementing a dictionary of quick searching words   6 Answers