Microsoft

Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Soon after I cleared the campus round I was called for the on site interview at Redmond. There were four interviews, 1 hour each. All the questions were coding based, you just have to be comfortable with writing code on a white board.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Email from an on-campus recruiter gauging interest led to a phone screen interview. From there I was invited to an on-site interview in Seattle. There I had four ~45 min interviews. Each one started with some basic questions about my resume, then moved into 1-2 technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Make a program that writes a Binary Search Tree to a file. Now create a program that reads those files and recreates a Binary Search Tree.   View Answers (5)
    • How would you sort an array if you had infinite RAM? Infinite memory?   View Answers (3)
    • Create a Priority Queue with all methods.   View Answers (2)
    • A basic string manipulation question (unfortunately I don't remember the details as it was my first interview of the day)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

I got the onsite interview for SDE intern on Microsoft campus. There are four peoples, each of them asked the simple questions about string manipulation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

I had a 1:1 interview with microsoft on January 18, 2012. I applied online and they invited me for a 1:1 interview on campus. It lasted for about 30 minutes. They asked me some basic questions about Why Microsoft ?, What made you take up Computer Science as your major ? and stuff like that. Then they got into coding questions. They asked me two questions.

1) Reverse all the characters in a string before you encounter an 'x'. abcdxdd - > dcbaxdd
    2) Reveres all the words in a string before you encounter a word which has 'x' in it.
    Hi, I like Microsoft asdfxab Settle -> Microsoft like I Hi, asdfxab seattle.

They took 3 weeks to get back to me with results. They invited me for an Onsite interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse all the characters in a string before you encounter an 'x'. abcdxdd - > dcbaxdd   View Answer
    • Reveres all the words in a string before you encounter a word which has 'x' in it.
      Hi, I like Microsoft asdfxab Settle -> Microsoft like I Hi, asdfxab seattle.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Was invited to a 1:1 interview at my college campus. The interview went well and I was forwarded on for a full day interview at the Seattle Microsoft campus. The date for that interview has been set, but it has not yet happened. In general, the interview process has been fine and the recruiters have been helpful, but the overall process has been slow.

Interview Questions
    • What is the largest / most difficult program you have written in C/C++?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Did one interview at my university. Went to Seattle and had 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Consider a game of nxn tic tac toe. Given a move and the player who made the move, return whether it was a winning move or not. There is an O(1) answer.   Answer Question
    • Write the functions for a circular queue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

The interview process took a full morning. There were 4 interviews, each of them focuses on one aspect. Examples include basic programming questions. Things on the resume.

One question is that how to determine if two rectangles overlap or not on a plane.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one of the challenges that you face in your past project.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Started from school career fair, I was selected to attend an on campus interview. 2 weeks later, I received an email saying that they would move me to Seattle for an onsite interview.
    On-site interview took a day long with 4 interviews, starting at 9:00 and ending at 1:00pm. After lunch, I was informed that I was offered an SDE intern position.

Overall, the questions were not so hard. However, you should show how would you attack the problem. Interviewers knew that questions were posted online and they not only expect you a correct answer, but also your thoughts/understandings.
    Be prepared with algorithms and data structures.

No negotiation.

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

They put me up in nice hotel but actually switched my hotel at the last minute. There were about 4 45 min interviews with the Xbox connect team which we were randomly assigned to. 3 were technical (one about databases, one about C, one about some basic java algorithms) and 1 was goals/strengths oriented.
    As has been stated before, they will really delve deep into anything that you say you "know" so make sure you know it

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between malloc and calloc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Submitted resume through college, got an on campus first round interview with a PM from the Office team. Got asked a basic question to reverse a string. Then got invited for an on-site interview. All paid for trip to Seattle. On interview day I went through 3 1-1 interviews each one hour long.