Microsoft

Average Difficulty
70 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online via website. Got a request for a phone interview about a month later. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and mainly asked like what parts of software you like dealing with (UI, Backend, Application layer etc) and then a test question (how would you test a ____ ) and a small math/logic brainteaser.

Got an email about 3 weeks later saying they would like to skip the next round of phone interviews and fly me out to Seattle for final rounds of interviews. Due to the holidays, the process got delayed a bit, but I set up flight/hotel and my day of interviews.

The whole trip was excellent, I felt like I was really being taken care of. They will reimburse a generous amount of money for things like food, transportation around the city. They even gave me some taxi vouchers on my interview day so I could explore Seattle and I wouldn't even have to pay, and it would get billed to Microsoft directly.

The on-site interview day is a long and challenging day, yet it was still enjoyable. You start out in the recruitment building where all the other candidates will be as well. You'll get individually called out by your recruiter who you meet with first. Then you are taken via Microsoft Connect vehicles to the building in which your team you will be interviewing with works.

I had 4 interviews, all technical. Every interview started out with a bit of resume talk, future plans and things about your time at school. Then we did 1 or 2 programming problems each. The technical problems are pretty industry standard, ranging from string manipulation to data structures, to graph theory. Just be sure to talk your way through them with the interviewer. All the interviewers asked even more probing questions to see how much you know about a subject. They asked me all the way down to actually implementing a hashing function when the topic of HashSets came up. But remember, it's okay to admit you don't know at a certain point!

They seem pretty agnostic about what language you use, and one interviewer even started the interview by saying that he is not a compiler, and will not care if there are small syntax errors. That was reassuring and put my mind to ease for small things.

There is also a lunch interview where you get some a lunch voucher to pay for you and your interviewer's lunch. Very light discussion during lunch, mostly about resume and past projects.

After all this, you will meet with your recruiter back at the recruitment building. My interviews went from 10am-5pm. Like previously stated, they gave me some taxi vouchers and I explored Seattle all night before returning to my hotel and catching my flight back the next morning. I can't wait to start!

Interview Question – They're not trying to trick you, just trying to see you think critically. For example, instead of iterating over a string from left->right, a certain solution could perform more efficiently by iterating right->left.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, it was above my expectations anyway.

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Began with standard HR phone screen including a few brain teasers and technical problems, but mostly focused on my background in computer science, technical ability, etc. The interviewer was very nice and cordial but was somewhat difficult to understand. She said I should hear back within a week about where I stand in the process.

Interview Question – You have a box of red balls, a box of blue balls, and a box of red and blue balls. What is the minimum number of boxes you can open and know what is the contents of each box?   View Answers (5)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Very responsive process. The process take 2 week. I don't do well on the first round of interview but it was a greate experience

Interview Question – Not too much. The first round interview is easy.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – Soon after I cleared the campus round I was called for the on site interview at Redmond. There were four interviews, 1 hour each. All the questions were coding based, you just have to be comfortable with writing code on a white board.

Interview Question – Print a binary tree level by level in zigzag order   View Answers (3)

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied via for the position via school's career fair. After a week, they sent me email to setup an on school campus interview. After two weeks, they sent a congratulation email saying that I passed the 1st round and they decided to moved me to Seattle for on-campus interviews. There were 4 interviews within one days, starting at 9:am and ending at 1:pm. They informed the results with offer the same day.
Q1. Design an algorithm to create a puzzle
Q2. Ordered binary tree
Q3. Palidrome string
Q4. Implement IndexOf() function

Interview Question – Design an algorithm for creating a puzzle.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Email from an on-campus recruiter gauging interest led to a phone screen interview. From there I was invited to an on-site interview in Seattle. There I had four ~45 min interviews. Each one started with some basic questions about my resume, then moved into 1-2 technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Make a program that writes a Binary Search Tree to a file. Now create a program that reads those files and recreates a Binary Search Tree.   View Answers (5)
  • How would you sort an array if you had infinite RAM? Infinite memory?   View Answers (3)
  • Create a Priority Queue with all methods.   View Answers (2)
  • A basic string manipulation question (unfortunately I don't remember the details as it was my first interview of the day)   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details – I got the onsite interview for SDE intern on Microsoft campus. There are four peoples, each of them asked the simple questions about string manipulation.

Interview Question – string compression: aaabbbbcc ->a3b4c2   View Answers (4)

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Software Developer Engineer Intern
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview Details – They put me up in nice hotel but actually switched my hotel at the last minute. There were about 4 45 min interviews with the Xbox connect team which we were randomly assigned to. 3 were technical (one about databases, one about C, one about some basic java algorithms) and 1 was goals/strengths oriented.
As has been stated before, they will really delve deep into anything that you say you "know" so make sure you know it

Interview Question – What is the difference between malloc and calloc.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details – Was invited to a 1:1 interview at my college campus. The interview went well and I was forwarded on for a full day interview at the Seattle Microsoft campus. The date for that interview has been set, but it has not yet happened. In general, the interview process has been fine and the recruiters have been helpful, but the overall process has been slow.

Interview Question – What is the largest / most difficult program you have written in C/C++?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had a 1:1 interview with microsoft on January 18, 2012. I applied online and they invited me for a 1:1 interview on campus. It lasted for about 30 minutes. They asked me some basic questions about Why Microsoft ?, What made you take up Computer Science as your major ? and stuff like that. Then they got into coding questions. They asked me two questions.

1) Reverse all the characters in a string before you encounter an 'x'. abcdxdd - > dcbaxdd
2) Reveres all the words in a string before you encounter a word which has 'x' in it.
Hi, I like Microsoft asdfxab Settle -> Microsoft like I Hi, asdfxab seattle.

They took 3 weeks to get back to me with results. They invited me for an Onsite interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions

• Reverse all the characters in a string before you encounter an 'x'. abcdxdd - > dcbaxdd   View Answer
  • Reveres all the words in a string before you encounter a word which has 'x' in it.
    Hi, I like Microsoft asdfxab Settle -> Microsoft like I Hi, asdfxab seattle.
      View Answer