Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2010.

Interview

Went to an on campus screening section, then got an offer to fly down to Redmond for the interview. Since it's a big recruiting event for the on site interview, we had a big party (hosted and paid for by MS) the night before the interview at a bowling place with unlimited free food and (alcoholic) drinks. Did 4-5 back-to-back 1:1 interviews with the hiring managers and met with the recruiter that afternoon and was told that I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions are pulled directly from "Programming Interviews Exposed", so read that book. One example is the telephone keypad to words question mentioned by others.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2010.

Interview

Recruiting personnel were top notch. The process of flying out to Redmond was smooth and easy. I was never lost or confused about where to go. The series of 4 interviews was challenging and mentally exhausting, but I felt pretty good about it all--even after tripping up a bit on some questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a program to show a stack trace given a raw stack dump.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was possible. The compensation was already very high.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

applied through MS's website and got a phone interview. Asked about constructing a contact list management system. Writing some codes on a whiteboard websystem. Got an on-site interview with the Office group. All questions are about programming though there are warm-up behaviorial questions.
    All programming questions are not demanding, but somehow tricky.Need to write codes on whiteboards. Can use any programming language you like.

Interview Questions

• Designing a process scheduling system that will call a certain process at a give possibility.   Answer Question
    • If a sorted array is rotated, how to find how many times it has been rotated.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Through university campus recruitment, one screen interview at the university and then full interview at the company.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

Submitted resume online..
    Got a call from for phone interview in a week .
    Questions were simple but they expect you to ask questions and speak while thinking.

Like Write a program for nth number in a Fibonacci series.
    Give boundary condition.
    Ask if iterative or recursive.
    give pros n cons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied via for the position via school's career fair. After a week, they sent me email to setup an on school campus interview. After two weeks, they sent a congratulation email saying that I passed the 1st round and they decided to moved me to Seattle for on-campus interviews. There were 4 interviews within one days, starting at 9:am and ending at 1:pm. They informed the results with offer the same day.
    Q1. Design an algorithm to create a puzzle
    Q2. Ordered binary tree
    Q3. Palidrome string
    Q4. Implement IndexOf() function

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2009.

Interview

Phone interview was a lady in Office group. She sounded uninterested. Some resume questions. That didn't go so well, but (after a long time)I got invited to onsite anyways. Questions include reversing string, atoi, etc. I was very impressed with the free sodas. Had lunch interview, then met big boss in the end. Overall a great learning experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2008.

Interview

I got my first interview by persistently approaching Microsoft at my university's career fairs. My first interview was a typical screening interview, but face-to-face on campus instead of the usual phone interview. I was asked open-ended questions, such as how I would design an alarm clock for a blind person and what my favorite computer application was and why.

The next stage of the interview process was a fly-out to Microsoft's headquarters for a full day's worth of interviewing. All the travel and lodging was paid for by Microsoft and was organized very well. I had a recruiter at Microsoft who was in charge of planning my interviews, talking with the interviewers and making the final hire decision. He was a bit pushy, but I can't say that's representative of all Microsoft recruiters. I got to the recruiting building in the morning and met my recruiter face-to-face with a few other students who were also interviewing for internships. We were given the name of our first interviewer and a description of their group and then shuttled off to different buildings to meet them.

All the interviews took place in the interviewer's day-to-day office, which was nice because I got a chance to see their normal work place and get a feel for the company culture. Microsoft is actually very laid back compared to what I had imagined. There are no cubicles, all of the full-time employees get their own office. The dress is very casual, and the normal dress seems to be a polo shirt or t-shirt and jeans. I decided to dress business casual that day (a collared shirt tucked into khakis) even though everyone had told me to wear a suit. Even then, two of my interviewers commented about how dressed up I was! The building I interviewed in had an XBox lounge (they bought a Wii too later that summer) and a kitchen stocked with free coffee and soda on each floor.

My first two interviews were about an hour each and were pretty standard technical interviews. My third interview went a bit longer because we went out for lunch and talked casually (although this was still considered part of the interview). When we came back from lunch, I still had to answer a technical question before I set off for my fourth interview. My first three interviews were all with the same team and took place in the same building, but my fourth interview was with a different team.

At the end of the day, I went back to the recruiting building and waited for the results of my last interview to come back to my recruiter. I did well enough that I got offers from both teams I had interviewed. Note that my recruiter said that it usually takes about a week to make a decision on hire or no-hire for an intern, so this was an exception. However, this actually wasn't all too helpful because they still only gave me one week to make a decision! My recruiter really pushed me to make a decision as soon as possible but didn't respond to my emails for the first half of the week (in his defense, he was sick), so I pushed my decision a bit longer than a week. I wish I had been given more time to interview with other companies, but I didn't push my decision any further and decided to accept the offer (after all, it was a pretty good offer).

Interview Questions

• Connect Four is a game where two players take turns dropping their color discs into a vertically suspended grid. The game ends when a player adds a disc to the playing grid that connects four discs of their color. The connected discs can be in a horizontal, vertical or diagonal line. Write a function to be called after every turn that returns true if the game is over (and false otherwise).   3 Answers
    • Write an algorithm that does an in-order traversal of a tree recursively. Now, write the same algorithm iteratively.   4 Answers

Negotiation

The offer was non-negotiable.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had one general phone interview about my projects, work experience and motivations. I waited around 2 months for the feedback. Then they informed me about the hiring event in Dublin and asked for some more detalis about my (ex whether I was planning to consider my masters degree). We exchanged some more emails and then they stopped responding.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview

The interview was on Skype, the recruiters and the interviewers were friendly. I'll have another interview next week. The interviewer asked me questions about the projects I have made before, my interests, etc. After that he asked me a technical question.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 linked lists, return a list with the intersection.

For example: