Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2014

3.2

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

The interview process took a full morning. There were 4 interviews, each of them focuses on one aspect. Examples include basic programming questions. Things on the resume.

One question is that how to determine if two rectangles overlap or not on a plane.

Interview Questions
  • Describe one of the challenges that you face in your past project.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Did one interview at my university. Went to Seattle and had 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Consider a game of nxn tic tac toe. Given a move and the player who made the move, return whether it was a winning move or not. There is an O(1) answer.   Answer Question
    • Write the functions for a circular queue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Went to an on campus screening section, then got an offer to fly down to Redmond for the interview. Since it's a big recruiting event for the on site interview, we had a big party (hosted and paid for by MS) the night before the interview at a bowling place with unlimited free food and (alcoholic) drinks. Did 4-5 back-to-back 1:1 interviews with the hiring managers and met with the recruiter that afternoon and was told that I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions are pulled directly from "Programming Interviews Exposed", so read that book. One example is the telephone keypad to words question mentioned by others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Submitted resume through college, got an on campus first round interview with a PM from the Office team. Got asked a basic question to reverse a string. Then got invited for an on-site interview. All paid for trip to Seattle. On interview day I went through 3 1-1 interviews each one hour long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

applied through MS's website and got a phone interview. Asked about constructing a contact list management system. Writing some codes on a whiteboard websystem. Got an on-site interview with the Office group. All questions are about programming though there are warm-up behaviorial questions.
    All programming questions are not demanding, but somehow tricky.Need to write codes on whiteboards. Can use any programming language you like.

Interview Questions
    • Designing a process scheduling system that will call a certain process at a give possibility.   Answer Question
    • If a sorted array is rotated, how to find how many times it has been rotated.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Submitted resume online..
    Got a call from for phone interview in a week .
    Questions were simple but they expect you to ask questions and speak while thinking.

Like Write a program for nth number in a Fibonacci series.
    Give boundary condition.
    Ask if iterative or recursive.
    give pros n cons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2009.

Phone interview was a lady in Office group. She sounded uninterested. Some resume questions. That didn't go so well, but (after a long time)I got invited to onsite anyways. Questions include reversing string, atoi, etc. I was very impressed with the free sodas. Had lunch interview, then met big boss in the end. Overall a great learning experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

I got my first interview by persistently approaching Microsoft at my university's career fairs. My first interview was a typical screening interview, but face-to-face on campus instead of the usual phone interview. I was asked open-ended questions, such as how I would design an alarm clock for a blind person and what my favorite computer application was and why.

The next stage of the interview process was a fly-out to Microsoft's headquarters for a full day's worth of interviewing. All the travel and lodging was paid for by Microsoft and was organized very well. I had a recruiter at Microsoft who was in charge of planning my interviews, talking with the interviewers and making the final hire decision. He was a bit pushy, but I can't say that's representative of all Microsoft recruiters. I got to the recruiting building in the morning and met my recruiter face-to-face with a few other students who were also interviewing for internships. We were given the name of our first interviewer and a description of their group and then shuttled off to different buildings to meet them.

All the interviews took place in the interviewer's day-to-day office, which was nice because I got a chance to see their normal work place and get a feel for the company culture. Microsoft is actually very laid back compared to what I had imagined. There are no cubicles, all of the full-time employees get their own office. The dress is very casual, and the normal dress seems to be a polo shirt or t-shirt and jeans. I decided to dress business casual that day (a collared shirt tucked into khakis) even though everyone had told me to wear a suit. Even then, two of my interviewers commented about how dressed up I was! The building I interviewed in had an XBox lounge (they bought a Wii too later that summer) and a kitchen stocked with free coffee and soda on each floor.

My first two interviews were about an hour each and were pretty standard technical interviews. My third interview went a bit longer because we went out for lunch and talked casually (although this was still considered part of the interview). When we came back from lunch, I still had to answer a technical question before I set off for my fourth interview. My first three interviews were all with the same team and took place in the same building, but my fourth interview was with a different team.

At the end of the day, I went back to the recruiting building and waited for the results of my last interview to come back to my recruiter. I did well enough that I got offers from both teams I had interviewed. Note that my recruiter said that it usually takes about a week to make a decision on hire or no-hire for an intern, so this was an exception. However, this actually wasn't all too helpful because they still only gave me one week to make a decision! My recruiter really pushed me to make a decision as soon as possible but didn't respond to my emails for the first half of the week (in his defense, he was sick), so I pushed my decision a bit longer than a week. I wish I had been given more time to interview with other companies, but I didn't push my decision any further and decided to accept the offer (after all, it was a pretty good offer).

Interview Questions
    • Connect Four is a game where two players take turns dropping their color discs into a vertically suspended grid. The game ends when a player adds a disc to the playing grid that connects four discs of their color. The connected discs can be in a horizontal, vertical or diagonal line. Write a function to be called after every turn that returns true if the game is over (and false otherwise).   View Answers (3)
    • Write an algorithm that does an in-order traversal of a tree recursively. Now, write the same algorithm iteratively.   View Answers (4)
    The offer was non-negotiable.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had one general phone interview about my projects, work experience and motivations. I waited around 2 months for the feedback. Then they informed me about the hiring event in Dublin and asked for some more detalis about my (ex whether I was planning to consider my masters degree). We exchanged some more emails and then they stopped responding.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Recruiter contacted me after I gave my resumé in a campus presentation. Then he scheduled an interview to the end of the month in a hotel in my town. The interview was short. Initially, we talked for about ten minutes about topics such as: why do I would like to work at Microsoft, previous experiences, which position I thought I'd fit better, etc. The interviewer was nice and made me very comfortable. Then he took me to a whiteboard and asked me to code an API to deal with two classes: Activity and Resource. An activity could use a lot of resources and then I had to save those objects and manipulate them with simple operations like insertion, deletion, etc. Nothing too hard but it required me knowledge on exceptions, threads, dangling references, etc.

Interview Questions
    • How to save resources' IDs used by an activity and access them in O(1), assuming there could be an infinite number of resources?   View Answer