Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
On-campus interview:
    remove duplicates from an unsorted array
On-site interviews:
    implement strtok
    reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
    find lca for bst
    find first non repeating character in string
    given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
    check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
    check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Sent in resume, got a phone call that was very high-level and just asking things like am I allowed to work in US, etc. Then I was sent info to set up a technical lync interview with the project lead. This was enjoyable and fairly relaxed. You type code in whatever language you want. I think they like to see your thought process and they will help you if you talk through it and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list. Implement and evaluate expected runtime of bogoSort.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One one one interview. Interviewer was super-friendly. It was more like having a casual conversation with one of the industry's best guys. He told me a lot about the industry culture and life at Microsoft. Microsoft interviews can be a great learning experience and can motivate you further.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There was career fair in the school and I was attending there. In MS booth, I found the appropriate position and drop my resume. Several days later, I got the email to assign the phone screening interview. I got several questions about OOP concept and sort algorithms. And then I got the email from MS and they said they want to invite me for the on site interview in Seattle. there are 3 interviewer for on site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st interviewer asked about the Data structure question like Linked list and queue and binary tree. and he request to code queue and circular queue. and 2nd interviewer ask me Least Recently Used (LRU) Cache questions. And I did not know about it so he explained me how it works and he ask coding. 3rd interviewer asked me about the function pointer in C/C++ and how Java language can work like function pointer in C/C++. Does Java capable to pass the parameter using "call by reference" or "call by value"? How Java can pass the address of object?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interviewer spent 70% of the time going over my resume and asking me behavioral questions, which didn't really leave that much time for the technical question. While answering the technical question the interviewer was completely silent the entire time and didn't really offer much detail when I asked for clarification.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers how would you determine all the numbers that repeated more than once?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Handed in my resume to HR during the campus career fair.
    2. Got on campus interview, 1 hour, not hard. Got response 1.5 weeks later.
    3. Onsite with 5 interviews, 4 technicals and 1 behavior. The onsite M provides is the best I have heard of, which really made me turn to like this company and Seattle.

Interview Questions

• 1. How to design a cache data structure for a certain search use case
      2. String comparison/manipulation, and non-binary tree traversal and try to find a root-based path qualifying a certain requirement.
      3. Search an element from a matrix.
      4. String reversing with some special characters to check. BinaryTree level by level traversal.
      5. What are you expecting to be in 5 years? Talk about previous working experience.

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Microsoft recruiter via LinkedIn. After a brief exchange of emails, I had a telephonic interview scheduled roughly 2 weeks after initial contact. The interview itself was pretty straight-forward and mostly behavioral, although there was an emphasis on explaining past projects in detail. The interview concluded with the "9 Marbles Brain Teaser" question. After about 4 weeks, I received a followup email.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I went to the career fair then got contacted for campus interview. This interview was pretty chill and questions were easy. Then they flew me over to Seattle and I had 5 in person interviews. I thought I did well but got rejected. First three interviews were technical heavy while next two consist of some behavioral and design questions. I learned alot even though I did not get an offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

A applied online through their website and after 2 weeks they contacted me for Skype interview. The interview was very enjoy and took about 15 minutes. This was HR interview. We talked about resume and my background. In the end of the interview, she asked me a simple quiz question about marbles.

Interview Questions

• You have 9 balls, equally big, equally heavy - except for one, which is a little heavier. You have a pair of balance scales and how you identify the heavier ball?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Very good Interview, few basic algorithms and questions from strings. Got call after career fair, and had interview the next day. Was mostly a technical round. The interviewer really helped solving the questions