Microsoft

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.2

600 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
On-campus interview:
    remove duplicates from an unsorted array
On-site interviews:
    implement strtok
    reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
    find lca for bst
    find first non repeating character in string
    given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
    check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
    check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

interview process can be found everywhere in the internet. 1 on campus interview, and 4 rounds onsite interview. I've finished all questions perfectly I think. But received the rejection letter two days later. So confuse. I don't like this interview experience. Not because I didn't receive the offer. Because I don't find the way to improve myself. I really want to know where the problem is.

Interview Questions
    • all question are not very difficult, but they are interest   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I had my first interview on campus. The interviewer was great and friendly, and asked me whether I wanted to interview for software dev or product manager, but when I was unsure he interviewed me for both. I got a return interview and we'll see how that goes, but the on-campus was really manageable.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to implement a stack and design a clock.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Quick phone screen then on-site interviews with 4+ people. Overall an efficient and good experience. Technical questions didn't really have much of a basis for the actual role though.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through campus job fair, heard back in around 2 months for an on-campus interview. The interview was supposed to be 30 minutes long, however mine ran around 20 minutes overtime. The actual interview was described as a mix between behavioral and technical questions, but the interviewer just asked about projects on my resume and 1 technical question. Interviewer was friendly and approachable.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Gave my resume at campus career fair and got a campus interview after one day. The interviewer asked me to manipulate a random string and asked me how to build test cases for my design.

Interview Questions
    • Not much of difficult part. Misunderstood what interviewer said but quickly got his point after more explanation.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Submitted my resume both online and to the college recruiter, and had an initial on-campus interview one month later. The interview is only 30 minutes long. The interviewer first asked about my resume and we had time for only one technical question. I gave a search algorithm and he asked me to improve the runtime. Finally he let me ask him questions about the job.

Interview Questions
    • Given a method that takes in a string of letters and returns if it is a valid word, how do you solve the problem of word segmentation? In other words, given a string of letters (a-z only) and return a valid break down of the string into an array of words. There are be multiple different valid answers, and your solution need only return one of them.
      Example: segment("hellohowareyou") returns ["hello", "how", "are", "you]
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied on the university career fair. And after about 2 weeks I got the email about on-campus interview. It is about 30 mins long. And first he asked me my interests and resume about 10mins. And then he asked a technique question: pronounce the number. For example, give you an integer 123456, you should out put "one hundred twenty three thousand and four hundred fifty six". After about 2 weeks, I got rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied during campus event at early September and invited to on-campus interview 2 weeks later. I thought I didn't do well on the interview, and didn't expect there would be a next step. However, 3 weeks after on-campus interview, I received an invitation to the final-round on-site interview at Redmond. At on-site interview date, there would be 3~5 interviews. Since I had an offer about to due, I told my recruiter to notify me the decision as soon as possible. At the end of the date, my recruiter told me that all the feedback were positive except for the last one which was not available yet. She promised me she would respond by early next week. I received a call from my recruiter and offer letter next Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    • Prefix tree: insert "cat", "car", "cart" --> ["ca", "t", "r", "rt"]
      How to test your program?
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied online, and heard back in about a week. The first email was setting up an initial, behavioral phone interview and filling out some paperwork on what position I was interested in, along with what level of programming I wanted to do (i.e. Low Level, Application, Front End). Phone interview was within 2 weeks of that email. They asked non-technical questions to get an understand of how you think. Did not get any follow up interviews.