Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

557 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
On-campus interview:
    remove duplicates from an unsorted array
On-site interviews:
    implement strtok
    reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
    find lca for bst
    find first non repeating character in string
    given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
    check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
    check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was an interview on my university campus. The interviewer just asked one question, given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence. Looking back it was a pretty simple question and he was prepared to ask a couple more questions after, but at the time I was unprepared, so I stumbled a bit and only got through the one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied through university recruiter, passed on-campus interview, was flown out to Redmond main campus. They put me up in a hotel and then I had four interview back to back (literally, 45 min interview, 15 min break, next round) between 8am and noon on one day. If anything, the early start and fast pace tired me out. The questions themselves were straight-forward. Just remember to take your time, think of corner cases, and test.

Interview Questions
    • One about designing a regex matcher, I just tried to fly through it and forgot corner cases/got flustered by my interviewers less-than-warm demeanor.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

An hour long telephonic interview followed by an on-site full loop with 5 interviews. One of the interviews was done by the recruiter primarily focused on past experience and testing. The rest of the interviews were technical with coding problems.

Interview Questions
    • You are provided with a rotating disk and and an unlimited supply of binary color sensors. One half of the disk is colored black and the other half is white. The problem is to determine the rotational direction of the disk.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Scheduled an interview through an event at my university. Interview was done on campus, and consisted of a few behavioral questions, and a programming problem. I hadn't had much practice coding on a whiteboard / pen & paper, and didn't come up with a good solution in time. I received a rejection email a few days later.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied through university recruiter. Process was very organized. On campus interview consisted of a linked list question. Answered the question but received feedback one week later with a rejection.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On campus interview followed by day long interview at Microsoft HQ in redmond. Fairly straightforward questions. Got really tired from 4 back to back to back to back hour long interviews.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

30 mins campus on-site interview. Like normal campus interview, interviewer first introduce what his group do in Microsoft. And then, he asked some normal behavior questions like what is the most difficult project in your resume. Then technical part is quite simple question about linkedlist

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

got an email from recruiter, spoke to recruiter at career fair, had an interview on campus, had four back to back interviews on campus of Microsoft during the afternoon, heard back within a week