Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

3.2

521 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
  • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answers (5)

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I submit my resume in Microsoft campus recruiting and was invited for an interview. The interview lasts for 30 minutes and starts with some questions about my background. After that, the interviewer gave a coding problem which was quite simple. I was a little nervous since this was the first interview in my life. I solved the problem and wrote the code in C++ in 20 minutes. Normally, this kind of problem should not take more than ten minutes for me. I waited for a week and didn't hear anything back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

All day interview, even during the lunch. So be ready to answer questions while hungry. The day consist of four one on one interviews. The accent for some interviewers can be difficult to understand so be sure to ask questions to get clarification.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The recruiter had a quick chat with me before arranging for a technical interview for evaluating my problem solving/algorithms/programming skills. The technical interview was conducted over phone and collabedit. I was given a programming problem (to be solved in the language of my choice). I used JavaScript to write the solution. The interviewer pointed out the need for optimization and gave some hints. I quickly figured out a fairly optimized code.

The interviewer didn't sound too impressed with my performance. As the problem was fairly simple, he probably expected me to write a perfectly optimized code on the first shot. In my opinion, I exhibited the ability to discuss and think through solutions, rather than being well-versed in solving a certain class of problems.

There is no telling what works.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or particularly difficult. What is really hard is that the transparency is one way. You give your answers and you will never get to know what the interviewer was expecting to hear.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

This was a technical interview that I met with the person in his office.
    He was nice, greeted me and asked a few questions about what I did in my previous jobs. While solving the problem, he helped me with some small hints or questions. I felt more like brainstorming with a work friend rather than being interviewed, which was nice. In the end he thanked and told he is going to let the lead know and they are going to follow up with me with details.

Interview Questions
    • Given a database, where we know some portion of data (e.g. say 20%) is accessed more than the other portion of the database by the client. We have a frontend that client requests data from. Design a data structure that will increase the efficiency of access of objects. And we know that we can only hold on to n elements in memory.   View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer Interview

This is a phone interview, and It is about 30 minutes long.
    There are some technical questions and basic data structure questions.Then there is a question about the course project I have done and some extended topics.

Interview Questions
    • I applied online and set me a 30 min on phone interview. There are two data structure questions and some other questions about course projects I have done.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied from college and set me a 30 min on campus interview. It is a one to one person interview. Asked me to talk a database project. He gave me a pen and some scratch papers to tell the detail and asked me some basic SQL questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, whole process took about 1.5 month. After phone interview, recruiter told me I 'll have 3 rounds for onsite, but I actually got five rounds, each one for 1h... All interviewers are really nice people.

Interview Questions
    • Normal interview questions, not hard. 1. Search element in rotated sorted array. 2 Find top two biggest elements in array. 3. Inorder tree traversal (implement iterator). 4. LinkedList operation...Forget other questions, but they are all pretty easy.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!