Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.2

540 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
  • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

30 mins campus on-site interview. Like normal campus interview, interviewer first introduce what his group do in Microsoft. And then, he asked some normal behavior questions like what is the most difficult project in your resume. Then technical part is quite simple question about linkedlist

Software Development Engineer Interview

I was first asked C# questions like private and static constructors, ref/out, anonymous delegate etc. Then the algorithm question below. It is good to know your resume projects well, C# concepts and algorithms - this covers about everything for developer interview

Interview Questions
    • Find the next node in a binary tree from any node (implying successor to a node)   View Answers (3)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

It was a campus interview. The interviewee asked me some general questions about me and my projects. Then, he let me do a string converting question (shift the char with a shift value, for example, 'a' with 1 will be shifted to 'b' and 'z' with 1 will be shifted to 'a'). The question was quite easy but I forgot how to turn ASCII code to char and char to ASCII code. It hurted a lot. Anyway, it was a good experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • I forgot how to turn ASCII code to char and char to ASCII code.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied through campus career fair, contacted next day by email for on campus interviews. Interviews were held 2 weeks later. Interviews were 30 mins, about 10-15 mins talking about stuff you did on your resume, and then 10 mins with a single coding problem. and then 5-10 mins taking about the problem. what you would have done differently, how to test for bugs, etc

Software Development Engineer Interview

I give you 3 baskets of apples oranges or mixed with all labels marked incorrectly you can not look at them how do you fix the labels without looking at it and by pulling one item out

Interview Questions
    • It is easy, look online for questions and how to solve them   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

This is a the first round on campus interview. I was selected as one of the 12 interviewees that gets the opportunity. The recruiter comes from HQ in Seattle, and he joked that he still feel the jet leg. The recruiter is a serious guy but very professional in recruiting. I like the way he goes straight into point and asks me about my background, the language that I am comfortable with - C++, Java. The first technique question is about the similarity and difference between C++ and Java. Then he asks me to calculate the factorial of an array of integers. I think I did not that bad on this one, because everybody knows how to calculate the factorial of an integer. After finishing with the code, he wants me to tell him the pro and cons that I choose this recursion algorithm. I talked about he efficiency of writing and understanding in the format of recursion, and the con is algorithm complexity. He then asked me how to improve the algorithm, I did not come up with a good alternative algorithm, so I told him I can implement the recursion in a distributed fashion. The pro is scalability, and the con is extra cost on machines. At last, he ask me to say something about testing - how to possibly test the class I just wrote. I think I did well in this one - you just need to say how you generate the input and how to compare the experimental output to the known output.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Calculate the factorial of an array of integers.
      2. How to improve the factorial algorithm?
        View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Normal interview in university camp. Very pleasant interview. I told a lot about my projects and finally he asked me a technical question which I partially did it. Although I get to the next round!

Interview Questions
    • The question was given a string try to make it a palindrome with least number of charachters   View Answer

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

The interview was 30 minutes. Basically technical questions. The two technical questions are:

1. Remove duplicate entries in an array
    2. Given a string, count the average # of letters in a word. (Basically eliminate all the punctuations in a word, count the number, and average it for the entire string)