Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
On-campus interview:
    remove duplicates from an unsorted array
On-site interviews:
    implement strtok
    reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
    find lca for bst
    find first non repeating character in string
    given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
    check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
    check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

One one one interview. Interviewer was super-friendly. It was more like having a casual conversation with one of the industry's best guys. He told me a lot about the industry culture and life at Microsoft. Microsoft interviews can be a great learning experience and can motivate you further.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

There was career fair in the school and I was attending there. In MS booth, I found the appropriate position and drop my resume. Several days later, I got the email to assign the phone screening interview. I got several questions about OOP concept and sort algorithms. And then I got the email from MS and they said they want to invite me for the on site interview in Seattle. there are 3 interviewer for on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1st interviewer asked about the Data structure question like Linked list and queue and binary tree. and he request to code queue and circular queue. and 2nd interviewer ask me Least Recently Used (LRU) Cache questions. And I did not know about it so he explained me how it works and he ask coding. 3rd interviewer asked me about the function pointer in C/C++ and how Java language can work like function pointer in C/C++. Does Java capable to pass the parameter using "call by reference" or "call by value"? How Java can pass the address of object?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

The interviewer spent 70% of the time going over my resume and asking me behavioral questions, which didn't really leave that much time for the technical question. While answering the technical question the interviewer was completely silent the entire time and didn't really offer much detail when I asked for clarification.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of numbers how would you determine all the numbers that repeated more than once?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

1. Handed in my resume to HR during the campus career fair.
    2. Got on campus interview, 1 hour, not hard. Got response 1.5 weeks later.
    3. Onsite with 5 interviews, 4 technicals and 1 behavior. The onsite M provides is the best I have heard of, which really made me turn to like this company and Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How to design a cache data structure for a certain search use case
      2. String comparison/manipulation, and non-binary tree traversal and try to find a root-based path qualifying a certain requirement.
      3. Search an element from a matrix.
      4. String reversing with some special characters to check. BinaryTree level by level traversal.
      5. What are you expecting to be in 5 years? Talk about previous working experience.

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

A applied online through their website and after 2 weeks they contacted me for Skype interview. The interview was very enjoy and took about 15 minutes. This was HR interview. We talked about resume and my background. In the end of the interview, she asked me a simple quiz question about marbles.

Interview Questions
    • You have 9 balls, equally big, equally heavy - except for one, which is a little heavier. You have a pair of balance scales and how you identify the heavier ball?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I went through the college recruiting process. Microsoft was among the companies that set up stations at our computer science major recruiting fair where I signed up. The first round was on campus: lasted about 40 minutes, and was easy for a computer science major. About a week later, a recruiter emailed me to tell me that I was being invited for on-site interviews in Redmond (Seattle), WA. The recruiters are extremely fast and helpful in communicating; interestingly, Microsoft's recruiting process outdoes other companies (Google, FB etc) completely in efficiency and generosity. You're flown out to Redmond and stay in a really comfy hotel with a generous spending budget.

Now, it's good to know how on-site interviews work: you begin your day early by meeting with your recruiter, who you should befriend since they are "on your side", so to speak, and their input can matter in the decision process. Then, you have consecutive technical interviews lasting about an hour each. You don't have to do perfectly in all of them, but I had a very strong feeling that the first 2 are the most important. The first one is particularly important. If you are doing well, you will get a 4th and sometimes 5th technical interview. If you're lucky, you will afterwards get a final interview with a manager of sometimes, like in my case, a really impressive big boss type person. This big boss can basically hire you on the spot, and its pretty cool that you get to meet someone like this.

Don't forget that for Microsoft, as well as other companies, several things matter for college recruiting; your interviews, first and foremost, but also your coursework, projects, grades, internship experiences, etc. Also, knowing more math than average CS majors helps.

The next day I found out that I was getting an offer, and the next business day after that my recruiter called me with the details over the phone. Microsoft really, really wants smart new grads. The company and culture has REALLY been improving the past few years, and they want smart new grads to keep that up. Offers are actually more generous than at other competing companies.

In my case, you might really like the people you meet or have a personal connection with the big boss type person at the end, in which case your offer could potentially be for the team you actually interviewed with. In this case, you have a choice whether you want to be with that team or go back in the general "hired" pool which is distributed into teams at some later point.

Interview Questions
    • Thing of a simple O(n^3) algorithm for finding the longest palindrome in a string. Now a O(n^2) one. Now a O(n log n) one.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very good Interview, few basic algorithms and questions from strings. Got call after career fair, and had interview the next day. Was mostly a technical round. The interviewer really helped solving the questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Sent in application for SDE, SDET, and IT positions in October. Near the end of January a recruiter called me to schedule a phone interview. 30 minute phone interview with an Engineer from the team I interviewed with asked basic questions:
    - How do you troubleshoot your home network?
    - How would you describe virtualization to your grandmother?
    - Questions about projects on my resume

The next week I was selected for an on-site. All expense paid trip to Redmond. Flew me in, stayed 3 days 2 nights in a sweet hotel, rental car, fancy meals, the works.

The on site interview was with 4 engineers from the same team. 45 minute interviews with each one. Most of them were simple conversations. If you make it to this round it's basically a culture fit. They didn't ask a single code question and none of those stupid "How many golf balls fit in a school bus" type questions. The whole team was really good. Less than a week later the recruiter contacted me with an offer. They're looking for people that love what they do and love to learn and grow on their own. It's the whole culture they support up there.

Interview Questions
    • Design a service to automate the interaction between locked and encrypted Nokia Phones and Microsoft.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

The interviewer was very nice and I was asked a simple problem about tree traversals. Unfortunately, my mind went blank so I didn't get to the answer straight away. Ended up figuring out the principles for the solution, but didn't have enough time to code the solution.