Microsoft

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

On-compus interview, ask me to introduce myself. Then ask three technical problem. First is find duplicates in a string. Second is find maximum continue sum in a array of integers. Third is find duplicates in a single linked list

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

First round was on campus university. Then they flew me to MS for the second round at Microsoft's headquaters in Redmond. I had 4 interviews on that day of 45 minutes each. I had 15 minutes break between each of them. 3 technicals and one behavioural only. My trip to Redmond lasted 3 days including fly days.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given a sorted matrix, find an element if it exists.
      2. Given an array of integers with positives and negatives values. sort it in a way where all negative values are on the left side by keeping the relative order. Do it in place.
      3. Given an array of a stock value for each day, give an algorithm to find the maximum profit possible between a buy-day and a sale-day.

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I had three one hour long interviews which essentially were 5-10 minutes of talking about Microsoft or my Resume/ Projects and then 40-45 minutes working through coding questions. Felt like I answered the questions well and that the interviewers were satisfied with my answers.

I found out the following business day I did not get the job offer and that "unfortunately, it is not our standard practice to share specific feedback."

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string
      Convert INT to roman numerals
      Solve arithmetic of a string '2 + 3 * 6'

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked and submit the resume in campus recruit event, got interview invitation after few days.
    one on one on campus interview, ask about few questions of C# and one code problem, didn't answer well, got decline after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What's the difference between IEnumerable and IList.
      2. Interpret a string with different brackets and numbers and valid the string.

Software Development Engineer Interview

1 technical phone screen interview followed by 5 onsite interviews. The phone screen was very straightforward. The onsite were completely technical and thorough. However if you are very comfortable with all the tree, LL, graph questions then you should be able to a decent job. All the interviewers were very friendly and always gave hints etc.

Interview Questions
    • Designing memory management system. Coming straight out of college, I am not used to this. But the interviewer gave me enough pointers that I was able to do a decent job.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied online early in September, the process was quick. I got a email from them saying that they are interested in interviewing. So I said yes. I prepared writing code and everything. However, the first interview is ALL about behavior questions. And talking about different programming languages and etc.

Interview Questions
    • I think I gave a really bad answer when he ask the most difficult technical problem that you have encountered. And I didn't prepare for that at all, which is my fault indeed...   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through career fair event. Got an email a few weeks later about having a college campus interview. The interview took about 45 minutes, mainly just coding on the whiteboard. The interviewer told me that I would learn about the results in about 1 week. However, it took a bit more than a month for them to get back to me. Was told that they weren't interested in moving forward.

Software Development Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft came to campus and I spoke with them. Within a week I had a phone interview with a FT SDE. We talked about me and some of my experience and interests. I was then given a technical question.

I week later I was told I was selected for a final round on-site interview. That consisted of four back-to-back 45 minute interviews. These consisted of behavioral questions and one technical question each. They were challenging but not impossible.

A few days later I received an offer and accepted

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

My interview began at 9am at the Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA. I had three interviews scheduled before the lunch break and three interviews after.

All the interviews were standard - straightforward whiteboard coding or brainteasers. Many of my interviews ran over time (one ran 45 mins over). I ended up not having time for lunch at all - my previous interview had run over and only half an hour of time had been scheduled, so I had 15 mins to purchase lunch in the lobby and run back upstairs to make the next interview. I would advise other candidates to bring their own lunches - the cafe was extremely crowded and it took me the entire 15 mins to get food and pay.

I didn't have a complete schedule for the day, so I was unable to give the name of my next interviewer to the receptionist and ended up waiting in the lobby until my interviewer eventually came out to investigate.

Since my interviews had run over time, my day was extended by an hour and I did the final coding interview after my meeting with the hiring manager (which was supposed to be the end of the day).

I would encourage other candidates to brush up on their basic coding skills (string manipulation etc.) and brainteasers - the interviews were not design heavy. I would also encourage candidates to get a copy of their schedules in advance in case things go awry as security is very tight in the building. If I were to interview again, I would also bring snacks just in case.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some brainteasers taken nearly word-for-word from "How Would You Move Mount Fuji?" which I found surprising.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

They contacted me after I turned in my resume. I had an on campus interview, and the problem wasn't very hard but I think I messed up a bit. The guy from Microsoft also asked a few personality questions, and it was pretty chill.

Interview Questions
    • It was just an in person on campus interview. The question was to remove duplicates from a vector.   Answer Question