Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.2

518 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

This is a phone interview, and It is about 30 minutes long.
There are some technical questions and basic data structure questions.Then there is a question about the course project I have done and some extended topics.

Interview Questions
  • I applied online and set me a 30 min on phone interview. There are two data structure questions and some other questions about course projects I have done.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied from college and set me a 30 min on campus interview. It is a one to one person interview. Asked me to talk a database project. He gave me a pen and some scratch papers to tell the detail and asked me some basic SQL questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

1. Given two tree. To judge one tree is another tree's subtree.
    2. Given a maze (2D matrix have some block at some position), start position and end position. To find a path.
    3. Given a binary tree. Find the length of the path with maximum path sum, the path may start and end at any node.

Interview Questions
    • Too nervous to get a solution quickly and bug free.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I was initially screened at my college career fair. My work in Computer Vision piqued the interest of an employee at the MS booth (they were all former students from my Uni). I was then set up for an on-campus screen.

On-campus screen: The interviewer introduced himself and eventually jumped into a coding question. I did badly and I was rejected as I very well expected

Interview Questions
    • Make an exact copy of a linked list which has an additional 'random' node apart from usual the next node.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I attended a conference and noted down the presenter's email id as I was really impressed with the work they were doing. When looking for full time, I contacted the person for any openings in their team. Fortunately, I heard back from them and got a phone screen schedule within one week.

Phone Screen was easy and mainly focused on the projects i wrote in my resume and some algorithmic problems related with those projects.

Within one week, I heard back from them that I was through first round and need to come to Seattle for face to face interview. They were really helpful in scheduling the interview according to my convenience.

Microsoft takes care of their their employees and potential employees as well in my case. Wonderful and systematic scheduling. I landed in Seattle.

Whole day was set aside for interviews, I had 5 in total including the famous 5th interview which is a positive sign as mentioned by many here. First interview, little variation on the level order traversal which i was able to code it with some help from the recruiter who was really nice. You will have to write the code on board so I would suggest do some "Actual" coding preferably on some IDE which shows only syntactical errors and runs the program. Eclipse is sometimes too helpful which let's us forget minor mistakes.

Second round was a real life project problem related with quick ip lookup, for which I have default solution, Tries. I told each and every pros and cons of using tries and the interviewer was satisfied. I stumbled a little while implementing it but eventually was able to do that with of course the help of interviewer.

Oh yeah one more thing each interview is approximately 45 mins to 60 mins long and lunch time discussion is also part of the recruiting process. So don't lose your head thinking that it's not part of the process.

3rd interview which included the lunch discussion as i mentioned above. I was not aware of it but since interviewer only discussed my projects on resume, i was happy to talk about them. But was really thinking why the lunch is so much work. Later i realised when interviewer said, let's go back to the office and continue the discussion. This was the toughest round as interviewer went in to very specific details about my projects so one tip do remember some of the tools names, just to name drop them ;)

4th round was a short one as the 3rd one went for one and half hours. This one was comparatively lighter and mainly focused on design problems.

Then came, the nerve wrecking wait as they told me to wait so that they all can discuss how i performed and decide on the last interview with the 2nd line manager. Thankfully manager came soon and ask me to wait for 2nd line manager. That discussion was very informal sort as he was selling me Microsoft and why I should come and work there. Happy sign always ! :)

Then I came back to my awesome hotel as I had my flight back same day in the evening.

Almost next day itself the HR contacted me and I missed her call. I really thought I did'nt get through but thankfully Hr called me back next day and told me I am through !!

Only advice I can give you is "CODE" ! there is no way around it! If you want to work as SDE you need to know Algorithms and Data Structures ! Language is no issue but you must know how to implement it. At least able to discuss why to us and why not to use a particular data structure.

Interview Questions
    • Very Detailed discussion on most interesting project in your career   Answer Question
    It's Microsoft, they take care of it very well. Didnt negotiate as the offer was above market trend.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

It's getting considered that is the harder part, once you get to interviews, as long as you are prepared it should be fine. Be snappy and sharp, think aloud, ask smart questions, flesh out requirements, keep quality and efficiency in mind.

Interview Questions
    • None. Just practice in careercup and you should be fine   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Went through university recruitment. On campus interview. HR based. Behavioral questions like how do you manage time. What do you know about Microsoft Hardware. Why interested in this position. Question about the courses I took.

Software Development Engineer Interview

the hiring process is very strict, strict and very strict. you have to pass all of questions from all interviewers before having an offer which alows you to work there. the positon might be cancelled after you got an offer. in that case, you need to got o another team.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone screen, then technical screen and then onsite interview

Software Development Engineer Interview

30 minute interview. Discussed background and interests. The last 10 minutes or so were spent on a programming question and for any questions from candidate. Given x, find largest y so that y^2 < x.

Interview Questions
    • The programming question because time was running out.   Answer Question