Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

There was a initial phone interview and then there is an on-site interview. The on-site interview was in 3 parts each increasing in difficulty. 1.) basic introduction and a simple problem 2.) question related to the group's work 3.) A design question.

Interview Questions

• 1.) find a first repeating string in a large text file. 2.) Check if the given cordinates on a map correspond to the correct address (where address or cordinates are provided in a tab separated file) 3.) Design a game like angry birds   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR on linkedin. Though I was not very much interested, I decided to give a shot. I had first phone interview, and followed by 5 interviews on campus.

Interview Questions

• 1) How would you sort large files. On campus questions 1) 2 Sum problem 2) loop in list, and detect start of it 3) Design Tic Tac Toe 4) Hr type interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

First interview was in University, they asked a matrix question from the "Cracking the programming interview" book. Afterwards they flew me to Redmond for the final round. They literally paid for everything: Hotel, flight, rental car, taxi, space needle ticket, meals and so on. During the day I had 5 interviews back to back. The questions are very standard but covers almost all data structures and algorithms. Still they are much easier than the ones i got from Google. Overall the interviewers are very nice and helpful. They made the interviews seem like a work place discussion rather than tests so i was very relaxed and confidently talked my way through it. Got an offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• Questions can mostly be found on geeksforgeeks, the topics include binarytree, recursion, 2d array, suffix trie, hashing etc. 1. implement "atoi" 2. the skylines problem 3. two lines on a 2d dimension, given their end points, check if they intersect (this is more of a math problem but i just coded it up in C++) 4. binary tree modification, make all parents' values be the sum of their direct children. there are more but I can't remember.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview briefly after my school's career fair, then I was flown to Seattle for an on site. The on-campus interviewer didn't know what Haskell was, which really surprised me. Other than that it was a pretty easy technical question, and a few behavioral question. The on site interview in their headquarter was very organized, however my last interviewer told me "I know people can't think when interviewers stare at them, so I am gonna check my emails for a while while you code on the board, no need to talk through every line of code to me." which I found odd. And that was the interview I failed. The questions were all pretty standard, harder than the on campus one but still very manageable.

Interview Questions

• replace each space with "%20" in a string   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Sent in resume, got a phone call that was very high-level and just asking things like am I allowed to work in US, etc. Then I was sent info to set up a technical lync interview with the project lead. This was enjoyable and fairly relaxed. You type code in whatever language you want. I think they like to see your thought process and they will help you if you talk through it and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list. Implement and evaluate expected runtime of bogoSort.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

There were two stages: rounds 1 and 2. The first round is done on the university campus, where they get to know you and assess your skills. I applied after a coding competition held on campus. This interview involved one technical question and some questions about my history. The interviewer simply wanted me to gush about who I am and what I'm proud of. Round 2 was a very different experience. This round they bring you to the Redmond campus for a set of interviews, I was flown out from Ottawa. There will be 3-5 interviews, depending on constraints. The interviewers all ask at least 1 technical question, and generally these questions cover your entire skillset. It's difficult if you're nervous, but if you go in with a good mood and no expectations you can get through fine.

Interview Questions

• Design a function that takes in 2 strings representing numbers and adds them together as if they are numbers, and outputs the result as a string. You cannot assume the number is any containable size (i.e. the value represented could be larger than long long long long etc.).   1 Answer
    • Reverse a linked list   Answer Question
    • Encode/decode two strings into one string, and back to two   Answer Question
    • Design a notification system to be used by clients to deliver content to customers.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One one one interview. Interviewer was super-friendly. It was more like having a casual conversation with one of the industry's best guys. He told me a lot about the industry culture and life at Microsoft. Microsoft interviews can be a great learning experience and can motivate you further.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There was career fair in the school and I was attending there. In MS booth, I found the appropriate position and drop my resume. Several days later, I got the email to assign the phone screening interview. I got several questions about OOP concept and sort algorithms. And then I got the email from MS and they said they want to invite me for the on site interview in Seattle. there are 3 interviewer for on site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st interviewer asked about the Data structure question like Linked list and queue and binary tree. and he request to code queue and circular queue. and 2nd interviewer ask me Least Recently Used (LRU) Cache questions. And I did not know about it so he explained me how it works and he ask coding. 3rd interviewer asked me about the function pointer in C/C++ and how Java language can work like function pointer in C/C++. Does Java capable to pass the parameter using "call by reference" or "call by value"? How Java can pass the address of object?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interviewer spent 70% of the time going over my resume and asking me behavioral questions, which didn't really leave that much time for the technical question. While answering the technical question the interviewer was completely silent the entire time and didn't really offer much detail when I asked for clarification.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers how would you determine all the numbers that repeated more than once?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Handed in my resume to HR during the campus career fair. 2. Got on campus interview, 1 hour, not hard. Got response 1.5 weeks later. 3. Onsite with 5 interviews, 4 technicals and 1 behavior. The onsite M provides is the best I have heard of, which really made me turn to like this company and Seattle.

Interview Questions

• 1. How to design a cache data structure for a certain search use case 2. String comparison/manipulation, and non-binary tree traversal and try to find a root-based path qualifying a certain requirement. 3. Search an element from a matrix. 4. String reversing with some special characters to check. BinaryTree level by level traversal. 5. What are you expecting to be in 5 years? Talk about previous working experience.   Answer Question