Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.2

543 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

The interview was 30 minutes. Basically technical questions. The two technical questions are:

1. Remove duplicate entries in an array
2. Given a string, count the average # of letters in a word. (Basically eliminate all the punctuations in a word, count the number, and average it for the entire string)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

on-campus interview. I tendered my resume at the career fair and had a good talk with the recruiter. They replied in about 2 weeks to invite me to on-campus interview. The interviewer only gives you 30min to crack a not-so-easy coding question that has many corner cases and pitfalls. Product design question was also asked.

Interview Questions
    • parse a string of arithmetic expression that could contain all sort of garbage. Many edge cases to consider. Follow up is a phone feature design question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I applied online in August and got an phone interview. We talked about my past experience and I was given a simple brain teaser and a design question. Mostly focused on my work/project experience.

Waited 4~5 weeks and then they told me they want to fly me out to Redmond to do onsite interviews.
    Travel + hotel all booked by their travel team. I was attending a conference in a different city the week before my interview but it was no problem for them to adjust my flight for my convenience.

Everything was really nice, they do really take care of their employees and potential ones as well.

On the interview day, I woke up around 6 and went out to the lobby of the hotel around 6:45 am , there were other people who are also waiting to get picked up by Microsoft. We arrived at the building where interviews are held. Breakfast at 7:30, mingle with other interviewees, and then interview started at 8. Each 45 minutes long with 15 min breaks in between. Lunch at noon, we all headed to the "Commons" (or whatever they call it) it's the main area of the campus. Where we ate was giant food court style, all sorts of food available. etc.
    After lunch, we headed back to the interview building and they told us some logistics of what's next. 1.5 days later, I got an email asking when I'll be available to "chat" and the next day, my recruiter called and said I got the position.

One thing I want to say is that, Redmond + Bellevue is dominated by Microsoft buildings and it seems that you get a lot of respect if you are an Microsoft employee. They even have a "Microsoft employee only" counter at the Seattle airport. Blew my mind... Also, these cities or towns....they are brand new and also their environment is really nice, trees and mountains everywhere with fresh air and etc.

Interview Questions
    • NDA, but nothing difficult. get ready to talk about every past work experience/projects. They are looking to hire someone innovative and a team player. I didn't get any questions related to any Microsoft products which was surprising. The company is going through a lot of changes (for good I believe) and just show them your logic solving questions...mostly importantly, have fun doing it, get to know the interviewers.   Answer Question
    They offered a lot more than the avg stat on this site. the avg here it says $6,600 ~ $6,800/month but I got offered more than that.. (< $7,500 though). I was gonna negotiate considering I had offers from other companies but I heard the number and it was way too good to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I applied on the college job board and got an email from the recruiter a couple days later for some positions and signed up for an interview time for the next week. Got to the on-campus interview and talked a bit about my prior experience and internships, why Microsoft, and then what I wanted to do to change the world. Half-way through the 30 minute interview the interviewer asked me a coding question that I promptly failed after writing meaningless loops for a recursion problem.

Overall I felt like I had a tough interview question and a tough/apathetic interviewer. He started checking his phone once I started writing on the whiteboard and clearly seemed more focused on getting the interviews done on time so he wouldn't be late for the next ones.

Interview Questions
    • Given a 2D array with increasing integers, find a way to traverse clock-wise and print the outside of the matrix first, and then the second layer, until the center values.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I cleared my campus interview and came down to Bellevue. The interview process started at 7.30AM. With 4 rounds of interview each 45 min. I found 3 of them to be pretty simple but the last one was very hard :/. I interviewed at the Bing office.

Interview Questions
    • longest subsequence of a string, how to check if a tree is a BST. queue using stacks, Area of overlapping between 2 squares, Count the number of spaces in a sting, remove a node from the linked list, etc   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I first gave my resume at the career fair now after two weeks Microsoft is back on campus to interview. The interviewer was nice. He first asked me about my past projects/behavioral questions then moved on to ask me two technical questions. The whole interview was 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • 1. If there is a new integer in a binary tree data structure called height which would specify the level for each node. Implement a function that would populate the height at each node.
      2. Given a value, display it in binary.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

For Summer Internship. First stage of interview conducted on my college campus with a standard technical question: find the sum of scores of every sub-array axb within array NxN.

Second stage was conducted in Seattle, four interviews all 1:1 with breaks in between. Some asked coding questions, other more conceptual problem solving questions but usually relating to job-related tasks.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a Binary Search Tree problem, where you were to search the tree and determine if it was indeed a Binary search tree. However, the interviewer ignored me the entire interview and proceeded to spend the entire time perusing Yahoo groups, only glancing up a few times and to state at the end he wasn't satisfied with my solution.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answers (5)

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I applied on university career fair and got an on-campus interview in Feb. I was told there is no available position in the team that I am interested. Recruiter reached out for me in Aug. After a phone interview, I got an on-site interview.
    The whole process is smooth. They paid for everything. People are all very nice. I met with other interview peers at 111 building. They took us to the company store and to lunch. In the afternoon, there are 4 1:1 interviews with people from different groups.
    I heard back from the recruiter the next day.