Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Microsoft came to campus and I spoke with them. Within a week I had a phone interview with a FT SDE. We talked about me and some of my experience and interests. I was then given a technical question.

I week later I was told I was selected for a final round on-site interview. That consisted of four back-to-back 45 minute interviews. These consisted of behavioral questions and one technical question each. They were challenging but not impossible.

A few days later I received an offer and accepted

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

My interview began at 9am at the Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA. I had three interviews scheduled before the lunch break and three interviews after.

All the interviews were standard - straightforward whiteboard coding or brainteasers. Many of my interviews ran over time (one ran 45 mins over). I ended up not having time for lunch at all - my previous interview had run over and only half an hour of time had been scheduled, so I had 15 mins to purchase lunch in the lobby and run back upstairs to make the next interview. I would advise other candidates to bring their own lunches - the cafe was extremely crowded and it took me the entire 15 mins to get food and pay.

I didn't have a complete schedule for the day, so I was unable to give the name of my next interviewer to the receptionist and ended up waiting in the lobby until my interviewer eventually came out to investigate.

Since my interviews had run over time, my day was extended by an hour and I did the final coding interview after my meeting with the hiring manager (which was supposed to be the end of the day).

I would encourage other candidates to brush up on their basic coding skills (string manipulation etc.) and brainteasers - the interviews were not design heavy. I would also encourage candidates to get a copy of their schedules in advance in case things go awry as security is very tight in the building. If I were to interview again, I would also bring snacks just in case.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some brainteasers taken nearly word-for-word from "How Would You Move Mount Fuji?" which I found surprising.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

They contacted me after I turned in my resume. I had an on campus interview, and the problem wasn't very hard but I think I messed up a bit. The guy from Microsoft also asked a few personality questions, and it was pretty chill.

Interview Questions

• It was just an in person on campus interview. The question was to remove duplicates from a vector.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a Initial Phone Screen Interview and had five technical rounds , In all interviews i had to talk about my past projects and work on a coding question.
    Just Putting in the onsite interview questions
    Given a array of shares , find when you have to buy and sell shares to get max profit.
    Searching in a sorted array
    Reverse words in a sentence
    Longest Palindrome in a string

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initially met and spoke at a career fair during a conference. I was asked by the recruiter to submit my resume online through their site and the next day I was called to set up an interview on site.

Interview Questions

• What is the technical project you worked on that you are most proud of and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Received an email that I had passed two weeks later but it took nearly two months to schedule the final round interviews.

Trip was planned and paid for by Microsoft. Started the day off lunch on their campus with the other interviewees, then we took a short tour of the campus. We had four interviews back to back and then were given the results within five business days.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone call after applying. Quick behavioral questions. Final question about 9 marbles, 1 heavier than all of them, find it using a 2 plate scale.

Get an email inviting me to fly out a month later. They set you up with a nice hotel in Bellvue, WA and a rental car (if chosen). Pay for all your meals - an allowance of $75 a day or something in that area. Day of the interview comes, they pick candidates up together in a party bus infront of the hotel. The bus had flashing strobe lights and neon green lighting at 7am in the morning. It was funny if anything, but quite silly.

Throughout the whole thing, I never get told what I was interviewing for. They finally told us and I was COMPLETELY uninterested in the team. That spiked my confidence down. I could've saved MS $2,000+ for my trip if they told me that upfront, I would've declined. Even after talking to all the interviewers, it clearly wasn't for me. So how they got that from my resume I'm not sure.

But, that doesn't mean I didn't give it my best shot. Four 45 minute interviews with 5 minute breaks in between for food/drink. The atmosphere was wonderful. It was a great confidence booster. I felt awesome and confident I could nail the position anyway, and after the first interviewer I was told that mobility was a nice perk of the job without even asking! The interviewers started with questions about me, my past projects, strengths/weaknesses, technical questions next, and left maybe a minute or two for questions about them.

Technical questions were:
    -Implement circular array with a k-step elimination
    -Return sub-array with a maximum continuous sum
    -Check for a tic-tac-toe winner given a matrix
    -Without knowing the size of an array, find an element.

Strongest interview I think I've ever had. Yet I was told 2 work-days after leaving that they passed on me. I think I fell short on the last interview, with the element in the array, because I didn't realize try-catch was an option to use in a interview. My previous work experience does NOT use try-catch loops, that's a big no-no, they're super slow. I've always used assertions. I got halfway through the question before that and he was unhelpful in pointing out options to solve the problem. He was also a very off-putting interviewer, and didn't seem organized.

The other 3 interviewers I had - we laughed, we discussed interesting topics like AI/machine-learning, I nailed the technical questions from start to finish with room for testing and optimization, it was a great time. So my best guess is that last guy talked bad of me, and I was told you need all 4 to basically love you to get in. Waste of time, waste of money on their part.

Summary - super easy interviews with laid back atmosphere, great hospitality, but you're left in the dark with what you're interviewing for until the day of and all it takes is 1 interviewer to be stubborn and unreasonable.

Interview Questions

• Without knowing the size of an assumed sorted array, find an element provided.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The process is quite smooth. The interviewer introduces the company in general, and ask me to introduce myself. Then, the interviewer asks a standard coding problem. Finally, the interviewer answers your questions if you have any.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I signed up for an on-campus interview and the gave me a time slot. Interviewer was brief and somewhat awkward with behavioral questions, and then got right into a brief technical question. It was fairly easy, but I messed it up, and they got back to me quickly saying that I would not be moving on in the process.

Interview Questions

• You have two arrays, one of length n of sorted elements, one of length m + n with the first m elements sorted and the last n empty. What's the best way to merge all elements into the m + n length array in sorted order?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied online. Got interview appointment in 3 weeks. I did interview over phone interview. First questions on your projects, then coding questions. The phone interview lasts for 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• There were some basic data structure like implementing merge as in merge sort and reversing a string etc. One behavioral question on "why do you choose microsoft". Interviewers were very nice and good experience. was my very first tech interview.   Answer Question