Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions & Reviews

14 interviews

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer II Interview

Most efficient and professional interview loop I have ever seen. Was flown in from across the coast on a direct flight and was provided accommodation in a 3* hotel over night. They paid for my cab, lodging and also paid for a day of sight seeing in seattle. All in all a great experience for the entire day.

Interview Questions
  • Write an algorithm to check if 2 rectangles are overlapping given their left and right edge coordinates   Answer Question
No negotiation as I was a fresh graduate student

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through my university. It was a 30 minute on campus interview with one personal question and 2 coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • The initial interview is really easy - given an array of integers and a key, write a method that determines if the key is contained in the array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

The interview was nice and asked a lot things about my research then moved on to a coding problem. The question was doing division with only addition and subtraction. Then, he asked about ways to improve the efficiency.

Interview Questions
    • What if the numbers are not integers ? What if the numbers are negative numbers ?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

I was asked for appear for an interview for the team I was working as a contractor. There was 6 interviews lined up for the whole day. These are session split interview (morning/afternoon) and if you dont have a majority thumbs up in the first session then you cant go through the next session.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to parse a string for all non white space characters   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

I have a stgrong backgroung of software develop ment and I have 3 years expierence of Build Engineer in windows Mobile devision as a vendor. I applied Build Engibneer job of Microsoft.The visual studio devision recuter contacted me by e-mail. I did a phone interview with him. And we had a good convesasion. He said he will introduce me to the heiring manager. But I didn't heard back from him.

Interview Questions
    • No he didn't ask my any unexpected interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2010.

A HR person had emailed fixing up a date and time for the interview after reviewing my resume which I had submitted online. They never called me back and when I emailed him and asked the reason he simply stated that he had changed his job and was not able to forward my resume after that. Bad luck!!

Interview Questions
    • Just fill out the form for the interview process and send it!!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

One of my friends working in Microsoft, forward my resume to one of the managers there.
    My resume got attention and a recruiter contacted me for a phone interview.
    The guy at the phone was really cool. After a short introduction, he started to ask me some questions about my research and industry experience.
    Why I want to join Microsoft. ?
    * Few questions about OOP and UML ?
    * He also asked me how to check whether a Binary tree is BST ? write code ?
    * Given a BST, and a key value, return a pointer in the tree with this key value if available ? if not, retrun a pointer to the node with a key value which is the next smallest (largest) to the given key ?
    * A Design problem for OOP using abstract classes, interfaces, and inheritance ? I can't remember the details.

Interview Questions
    • How to implement mutual exclusion in Operating systems ? for 2 processes ? for n process ?   View Answer
    • How to generate 2 independent random variables uing a single random generator ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Munich (Germany)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

The Interview took +2 months in only 2 steps !!

The interview process was very slow in nothing ... the HR don't email you with you accepted or not until you email her ... in the 2nd interview, I mailed her 3 emails until I got a reply (I just asked if I accepted or not or pending)

The problem that I was confused between 2 jobs .. and I need them to tell me to decide .. and after that I cancel the other offer waiting for them .. 2 months .. without a reply!!

and after I offended them in a mail .. they replied in the 2nd day .. and the recruiter herself with "decline" for sure ... if you can reply fast, why you take months? if you still don't know if yes or no .. why not say you are still pending??!!

That's about the slow process .. I'm not the only one who face that .. my friend took until now (1+ month) without a reply with yes or no on the first interview until he forgot and went to another company

The Interview process was like this:

1) a technical written test .. it was too easy .. and shame to make it written and it's a way to represent your skills .. even they could give you a practical task from what you will do in your job

2) the 2nd interview was phone interview .. the HR said that they will be your manager + 2 others from the team .. the Manager didn't come to the interview but just the others

They didn't break the ice at all !! .. and entered in the questions directly .. and the first question: what you waited for 15 mins without entering the interview??!! .. even I was trying to call them in the conference call ... It was a bad start for the team

The interview was mainly on one question .. the interviewer tries to correct you and it's like a chase .. trying to catch what he needs from your replies ... and it was a research so everyone has an opinion ... no problem

but the team was respectful and nice :)

that's all of the 2 interviews that I had ... I think the next should be in Munich itself

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Issy-les-Moulineaux (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Issy-les-Moulineaux (France)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2013.

First I had a written exam : they send you an algorithmic problem by mail and you have one hour to send back the solution. Then I had one phone interview with algorithmic questions.
    I finally did the onsite interviews : five one-hour long interviews with algorithmic and systems design questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were average standard algorithmic questions, not particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Initial Phone + Screening for HR questions

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!