Microsoft Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Found the job listing on their website. Applied and heard from them via email. Had a telephone interview (non-technical) and then an on-site (North Carolina) interview. Everyone involved in the process was very young -- there seemed to be very little age-diversity there. The interview process involved a lot of programming and solving logic puzzles at a whiteboard while trying to explain what I was thinking to the interviewer. This made it impossible for me to concentrate on the problem. I felt their interview was useless in that it did not give them any idea of what my skills were and why I would have been a good fit for their position. There were also a lot of communication issues with them -- confusion over the dates and times for the interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Besides the usual silly logic puzzles, one question was "How would you test a whiteboard marker?" Since part of the reason I am good at testing software is that I have developed it, I felt that this question was not usefule -- I know very little about how whiteboard markers are produced.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineering In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

First I got a 1 phone interview. That is not very technical. After that I immediately get a on-site interview inviataion. I accepted that and the next week I was in Redmond. On the interview day, I first met my interview coordinatior, who brings me to the first round of 1:1. I met 5 person in a role in one day, eaching taking about 1 hour. Two of them are from one team A, two from team B, and the last one was a manager who manages both team A and team B. The next week I got an email from the corrdinatior saying they declined my application. After that I wrote an email to the manger asking for a re-consideration, and the next day I got an email saying the first email they sent me was a mistake. Huuuu.... They gave me an offer and I happily accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • If you found your boss making a stupid decision on the data structure you are going to use in your code, what will you do? 1. Tell him that is wrong, you are going to use a better data structure. 2. Say yes, but in the end, code with the data structure you think is better. 3. Say yes and do the same, using the less effective data structure in your code.   Answer Question
    No negotiation happened.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

I was 24 - After graduating with B.A of Computer Science and working for 1 year at UC Berkeley RAD Lab I interviewed for a software engineer - in test position at Microsoft's Silverlight unit.

The interview process included 3 rounds of phone screens.
    1. Behavior - get to know you - what this job entails
    2. Informational - explain your work, interests
    3. Knowledge - go into programming languauge details, systems knowledge

Interview Questions
    I got an offer the day after my interview and they were interested in what other companies I was talking to. I accepted the offer right away because I was really interested in Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!