Microsoft

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Two round of interviews on campus following one prescreening. Then got the onsite interview.

Interview Question – The two questions from the on campus interview is easy. The two questions from onsite interview is quite difficult. One of them is to design a data structure for a sales process. When customer click to buy, the information of the customers need to be recorded (address, credit card numbers, product bought etc.), the data structure is to go over the information and send out the product.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Initial on campus screening. I was given a coding question to solve in a language of my choice (something like break a string into an array of its letters as characters. then I was asked the following question: "if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?" We spoke about that for 10 minutes or so and then answered my questions about the company and internship program.

Interview Question – if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Most annoying exprience till date, I had a phone interview of about 30 min mainly related to my course work and projects and its been 4 weeks since then and I have not received a result. I have emailed the HR about 5 times and she hasn't answered even once. This seriously raises a big doubt regarding their hiring process. I do not know how to know my result (be it positive or negative). I have not seen a company delaying the result for so long.

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me through linkedin and asked me if I am interested in applying for Microsoft intern. I submitted the required application materials and they scheduled me for a one-hour interview. During the interview, the interviewer asked me some behavioral questions and talked about some projects I have done. Then we moved on to technical problem solving, which is pretty standard.

Interview Question – 1. How do you test a keyboard?
2. Given nine items and one of them is heavier than the others, how do you find the heavier one using a scale twice?
  View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Applied at my university, got called back for an interview. The interview questions was easy - Shuffling a deck of cards, but I got way too nervous for no reason and didn't do well.

Interview Question – Shuffling a deck of cards   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Fairly straight forward process. Submitted my resume to my school's career services. Biggest thing about the interview is going in prepared with answers about Microsoft and your ambitions for working for the company.

Interview Question – Know all the divisions of Microsoft/ especially the one you want to work for and why.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application through campus career services and received a response two month later to schedule an on-campus interview. The interview was about an hour long. I was asked about my position preference(software engineer, project management, testing). I was also asked what I am into, what projects I have worked on, and then I was asked a technical question.

Interview Question – Given a tree (doesn't have to be a binary tree), create an efficient algorithm to find the common root node of two given nodes.   Answer Question

West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter at the career fair, he told me I would receive an interview on the spot. He contacted me a week and a half later asking me when I was available for an interview. I was told the first round would be behavioral questions, no algorithmic or data structure related questions. I was asked if I had to design an alarm clock for a deaf person, how would I do it? We then talked about Windows phone for a bit and then she followed up by asking me when one should use recursion vs. iteration. I gave her the correct answer and then she asked me to write out the Fibonacci sequence both using iteration and recursion. She asked me which one was more efficient and why. I answered all her technical questions without hesitation and thought I did extremely well, but I guess not since I received an email saying I didn't qualify for another interview.

Interview Question – If you had to design an alarm clock for a deaf person, how would you go about doing it? When would you use recursion vs. iteration and why? Write a function to print out the Fibonacci sequence using both of the aforementioned methods.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – HR emailed the description based on my resume. Scheduled an interview on campus.

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – I began the interview process after meeting with a Microsoft recruiter at my university. Within a few days, I had a phone interview scheduled. I had two of these and they were very, very easy; if you cannot make it past the phone interviews either you didn't get anything out of school or Microsoft doesn't want you.

I was then invited to fly up to Bellevue, WA to interview for the Bing! team. I had to solve whiteboard problems in front of five different team members. I felt that some of the interviewers were somewhat disrespectful - one guy pulled out his laptop as I was solving/explaining a problem. I also had a lunch interview with some kind of manager that went pretty awkwardly. The guy didn't say much and I didn't have much to tell him since he was pretty closed off. I thought I did well overall except for an interview question where they asked me to implement a Sudoku solver.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!