Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was too short because I didn't pass from the phone screen round. The recruiter contact me on a day, and on the next day I did the interview. Extremely fast. The recruiter told me about himself, about his team in Microsoft. Then we made the interview. Then he opened a time to questions. All the process took 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult challenge that you have done, and why?   1 Answer
  • Technical question: Given an unordered list, return the smallest number larger than average. I had (more or less) 10 minutes to solve and test the solution.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and scheduled to set up an interview at a later date. The interview was telephonic with the recruiter which lasted half an hour. They asked everything that was on my resume and some behavioral questions as well. The interview was rushed through and was completed within 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would you go back and change about your project? What is your biggest accomplishment till date? What is the difference between between C++ and Python? 9 Balls Puzzle.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got a phone interview 1 week after submitting my resume. It was not going too well since I had a hard time answering on technical questions, but since I told about my own projects in my free-time it turned out to be worth the final-round interviews on-site. They even paid for the flight and hotel.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a thread and a process? (Operating systems question)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I submitted my resume at my university career fair, and was followed up with an interview. The questions that were given were a mix of behavioral, technical, and resume review.

Interview Questions

• Given any number of elements, list out all possible combinations of those elements.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online from their site and heard back to set up interview within the week. Interview was mostly about background like most challenging problems faced or projects that I have worked on. Asked how you would test simple objects to make sure that they worked.

Interview Questions

• The 3 buckets question where they hold 3, 5, and 8 gallons.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied in school Career Fair; scheduled the interview one week later; the first round is on campus interview. only 30 min. It began with several questions on my previous projects. Then I was given a very traditional question on string manipulation. I can only use C++ to answer. I didn't do well as I was feeling bad that day. I think I was and still am on the waiting list.

Interview Questions

• Tradition String Manipulation Question. But you need to use C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview with a guy who was a technical recruiter. Pretty casual, asked some generally questions about background and technical questions. He started out asking about my resume, why I want the position, etc. Then asked me some general questions about software engineering principles. He asked me about a project I have worked on, how did I go about programming it, what kinds of challenges/bugs did I face. Then asked some technical questions. Then finally I had the opportunity to ask him questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe recursion like you are explaining it to a 5 year old. 2. You are give 9 identical marbles. One weighs more than the others but there is no physical way to decipher this. You are given a scale on which you can weigh marbles on either side, but you are only allowed to use the scale twice. Figure out which marble weighs more using only your two attempts on the weight scale.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Microsoft came to our career fair. On campus they asked about the projects and I further got a interview call in about 2 weeks. The interview happened at the career centre of college and was based on algorithms and data structures standard questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Emailed about on-campus interview following the career fair at my school. Interview was 30 minutes long, but mine started a little late. Asked about my previous internship experience, and then focused on the technical question for the majority of the interview. Finished up by allowing me to ask a few questions about his position at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• Implement a bounded bifocii data structure using an array and efficient enqueue and dequeue algorithms   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Sent in resume during career fair. Soon got a email to set up on campus interview within a few days. Asked a few questions about previous projects and a few technical questions.