Microsoft

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview Details – There is phone interview first. It helps people in each side to know other better. Candidate also gets chance to ask about details about the work.

Then there is onsite interview with 3-4 rounds. Candidates are asked about algorithm, coding, design questions. Algorithms are not so hard, but need some thinking to come out good solution. Candidates are asked about understanding about programming language and database.

If everything goes good, candidates will see the hire manage at last. Then wait for 1 - 2 weeks for the offer.

Interview Question – Challenging algorithm question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – First was the phone call with HR. Getting to know me and other logical questions.

Interview Question – Simple logic questions, very interesting. Only made it to the first interview.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a recruiting firm, asked for a phone interview the following week (I really should have declined and tried a bit later, as I was really not prepared).
Got a Skype interview.
Questions were simple though I completely messed up one of them, which meant I didn't get to go forward (and, in case you were wondering you can only apply again in 6-9 months, which I looked everywhere to find out before I actually accepted the interview, but couldn't find).

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – applied online, and had an on-campus interview.
Interview was about 40 minutes talking about my background and
asked 1 question and related sub-questions.

Software Engineer

I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details – Telephoning followed by in person

Interview Question – How to test your functionality?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – I passed the phone interview and went to Seattle for on-site. Algorithm questions are not hard, and can all be found here in the posts of other glassdoor users who have interviewed with Microsoft. The also asked me for some detailed questions, like "what is the STL version I am using for C++ and its details", "what is your experiences with STL boost", "When you using a receiving buffer of size 500 bytes to get data from a socket, what would happen if all the data send each time is 1000 bytes, 500 bytes, and 300 bytes". I did not give good answer to them because I have not done development coding for a while during my graduate study, and hence got rejected.

Interview Question – "what is the STL version I am using for C++ and its details", "what is your experiences with STL boost", "When you using a receiving buffer of size 500 bytes to get data from a socket, what would happen if all the data send each time is 1000 bytes, 500 bytes, and 300 bytes", etc..   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I talked to a recruiter at career fair on campus, got an email inviting me to on campus interview. The interview consisted of me going in and talking with an employee who didn't seem to care very much whether or not I passed or failed. He asked me a few cursory questions and then one technical question.

Interview Question – Write a function to print an array in a spiral.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied for the position while a recruiter was at my college for a job fair event. After that, I was contacted about a month or so later and scheduled a phone interview (or rather an online phone interview). The phone interview was all business, no personal questions. The interviewer asked me to start writing something that seemed somewhat simple, in whichever language I preferred. After a sufficient amount of time coding and asking questions (roughly 45 minutes) he had me stop and asked a couple of questions on my thought process in coding the answer. I was contacted a few days later and asked if I could fly out for an interview. I accepted and went to their headquarters in Washington.

The day starts relatively early, around 9:30AM and goes "until you're finished". The basic process is they hand you the location of your first interview, either walk you there or get you a ride there, and continue handing you off between Microsoft employees that you will potentially be working with. Usually each person asks you a couple of personal questions and at least one coding question. Some people may seem like they're ignoring you or acting strangely around you, but I believe that's all part of the interview process. Asking questions is a vital part of the process, as they want someone who is willing to understand something from top to bottom before they attempt to write code for it.

As some other reviews have said, towards the end of the day you may or may not meet with your fifth interviewer in the event that they may "be busy". Whether or not this is truly an indicator of your progress, I'm unsure. All I can say is I interviewed with four out of five people and did not receive the offer. Fortunately, I heard back the very next day, so there wasn't too much anticipation.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were difficult. Expect a lot of questions that really challenge your grasp on more advanced CS fundamentals.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Test, phone interview, on-site interview (4)

Interview Question – RegExp, Sorted Matrix, BFS, Trie, Serialization   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – I submitted my resume at an university technical fair. I got an interview a couple weeks later. The interview was at the career center and it lasted about 45 mins to an hour. Interview was one-on-one. The interview, in general, was pretty relaxed and the interviewer was friendly. Interviewer initially went through my resume and asked specific questions based off it. Afterwards, interviewer asked the more technical questions and asked if I had any questions in general.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions. However, there were some on various algorithms that were tricky.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!