Microsoft

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted my resume at my university career fair, and was followed up with an interview. The questions that were given were a mix of behavioral, technical, and resume review.

Interview Questions
  • Given any number of elements, list out all possible combinations of those elements.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online from their site and heard back to set up interview within the week. Interview was mostly about background like most challenging problems faced or projects that I have worked on. Asked how you would test simple objects to make sure that they worked.

Interview Questions
    • The 3 buckets question where they hold 3, 5, and 8 gallons.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Applied in school Career Fair; scheduled the interview one week later; the first round is on campus interview. only 30 min. It began with several questions on my previous projects. Then I was given a very traditional question on string manipulation. I can only use C++ to answer. I didn't do well as I was feeling bad that day. I think I was and still am on the waiting list.

Interview Questions
    • Tradition String Manipulation Question. But you need to use C++.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Microsoft came to our career fair. On campus they asked about the projects and I further got a interview call in about 2 weeks. The interview happened at the career centre of college and was based on algorithms and data structures standard questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Emailed about on-campus interview following the career fair at my school. Interview was 30 minutes long, but mine started a little late. Asked about my previous internship experience, and then focused on the technical question for the majority of the interview. Finished up by allowing me to ask a few questions about his position at Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a bounded bifocii data structure using an array and efficient enqueue and dequeue algorithms   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Sent in resume during career fair. Soon got a email to set up on campus interview within a few days. Asked a few questions about previous projects and a few technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

To be hired Microsoft has two stages.

Initially you will be provided with a phone interview (30 mins) or On-Campus interview. You may be asked a technical question. Be prepared to answer questions related to your background/projects.

I passed this stage and in about a week I was notified that I will be moving on to their on-site interview in Redmond. I was given about a months time between the phone interview and my on-site.

Depending on your process, you will either be going to Microsoft Building 111's recruitment event where you are cycled through 4 interviewers between you and 10 - 20 other candidates, or meeting with a recruiter and then going to another building to interview where you will have 3 - 5 interviews, including a lunch interview.

This time I was selected to interview with 3 - 5 people in the Office team. You are not given your team beforehand. The team you are interviewing with may also not be the team you end up working with.

The problems are algorithmic in nature and you are expected to test and clarify requirements. Each interview is about an hour long and between each interview you will be taking a break while the interviews discuss among each other about how you did.

From what I have understood each interviewer has a hire/no hire decision. If you receive 2 no hires out of your first 3 interviews, your day may be cut short. When you reach the 5th interview, (s)he is the hiring manager and ultimately has veto power.

For me it was a rather discouraging experience. I made it to the 5th interview. I felt I performed very well, giving them optimal solutions, and struggling with only 1 and a half of the 6 problems I was asked, but ended up solving them optimally in the end. However, I received the discouraging call later that week that I would not be hired. It didn't make sense to me and I tried to reflect on how I could have done poorly being very familiar with technical interviews at this stage. I felt that what I had to nitpick with myself what I performed weakly on. The most discouraging part is how they will not tell you anything aside from apply back next year. At this stage I'm not even sure how to improve since I do not think I am technically lacking and I did not believe I came off rude or obnoxious during the interview. Just my luck.

Interview Questions
    • Swap a doubly linked list in pairs. (This was the problem that I struggled with most and happened to be the first of the two during the last interview - I over thinked it because I had visited a problem the evening before of swapping singly linked list in pairs and had ruined my thought process)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

first you have a telephone screen with a recruiter. Then you have a phone screen with Hiring manager or some dev. After that, you will be brought onsite and interviewed by a group of engineers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

First was the phone call with HR. Getting to know me and other logical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Simple logic questions, very interesting. Only made it to the first interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

applied online, and had an on-campus interview.
    Interview was about 40 minutes talking about my background and
    asked 1 question and related sub-questions.