Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in August 2015.

Interview

I received a cold contact email from an internal Microsoft recruiter who set up a call to explain the position and determine my availablity for follow-up portions of the interview. I was then registered for a web-based 1-hour technical screen. The outcome of this technical screen determined the candidates they were to bring onsite the following week for an on-site hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Technical screen consisted of 3 questions: 1)Merge and sort 3 integer arrays. 2)Compare version numbers returning negative number if versionA < versionB; 0 if versionA == VersionB; positive number if versionA > versionB. Examples given for format were (1.0.0.0; 1.0.0.1; 2010.1.0.0). 3)Identify bugs in the following implementation of a dictionary. function Dictionary(){ var this.dictionary_ = {}; } Dictionary.prototype.Add(word, definitiion){ this.dictionary_[word] = definitiion); } Dictionary.prototype.WhatIs(word){ return this.dictionary_[word]; }   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

First saw this hiring post at a software conference. After sending my resume, got interview request in about 1 week. It was supposed to be a phone interview, but I went to the interviewer's office because I am local. The interviewer was pretty nice and I had a positive experience over all.

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you work for AT&T. Describe a system that manage phone numbers. The system should offer the following functions: 1) allocate a phone number. 2) cancel a phone number. 3) suggest up to 5 phone numbers that have not been allocated. (such as for a family plan) The suggested phone numbers should be consecutive.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was streamlined and simple. Due to the plethora of knowledge out there on the various stages of big tech companies' interview processes, you know exactly what you're going to get. It was multiple stages, and they're trying to recruit the best of the best.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was too short because I didn't pass from the phone screen round. The recruiter contact me on a day, and on the next day I did the interview. Extremely fast. The recruiter told me about himself, about his team in Microsoft. Then we made the interview. Then he opened a time to questions. All the process took 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult challenge that you have done, and why?   1 Answer
    • Technical question: Given an unordered list, return the smallest number larger than average. I had (more or less) 10 minutes to solve and test the solution.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and scheduled to set up an interview at a later date. The interview was telephonic with the recruiter which lasted half an hour. They asked everything that was on my resume and some behavioral questions as well. The interview was rushed through and was completed within 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would you go back and change about your project? What is your biggest accomplishment till date? What is the difference between between C++ and Python? 9 Balls Puzzle.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got a phone interview 1 week after submitting my resume. It was not going too well since I had a hard time answering on technical questions, but since I told about my own projects in my free-time it turned out to be worth the final-round interviews on-site. They even paid for the flight and hotel.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a thread and a process? (Operating systems question)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I submitted my resume at my university career fair, and was followed up with an interview. The questions that were given were a mix of behavioral, technical, and resume review.

Interview Questions

• Given any number of elements, list out all possible combinations of those elements.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online from their site and heard back to set up interview within the week. Interview was mostly about background like most challenging problems faced or projects that I have worked on. Asked how you would test simple objects to make sure that they worked.

Interview Questions

• The 3 buckets question where they hold 3, 5, and 8 gallons.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied in school Career Fair; scheduled the interview one week later; the first round is on campus interview. only 30 min. It began with several questions on my previous projects. Then I was given a very traditional question on string manipulation. I can only use C++ to answer. I didn't do well as I was feeling bad that day. I think I was and still am on the waiting list.

Interview Questions

• Tradition String Manipulation Question. But you need to use C++.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Microsoft came to our career fair. On campus they asked about the projects and I further got a interview call in about 2 weeks. The interview happened at the career centre of college and was based on algorithms and data structures standard questions.