Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Phone interview took just 15 minutes. There were general questions: what is context, context switching, critical section, threads, some questions about sorting algos, binary search trees. Some programming questions: what is difference between int and Integer (for java), what is difference between String and StringBuffer.
I think I was kinda stupid person :) because there was no logical question.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

it was a 1:1 on campus interview. The recruiter asked me the following question: "We have two sorted single direction linked lists. Write an efficient algorithm to merge them together and the outcome should be sorted as well. Creating a new linked list is not allowed". Then he asked whether I was graduating the following quarter to which I answered no. After two weeks received and email that said, they could not proceed with the second round of interviews and they can not tell my why!

Interview Questions
    • How would merge two sorted linked lists without creating a new one so that the outcome is sorted as well.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Following a phone interview I was invited to the Redmond campus for a long day of one-on-one interviews. Microsoft was gracious enough to pay all of my expenses for flying out to WA and eating/traveling.

The 1:1 interviews themselves were interesting and difficult but often oddly focused: I felt as if the engineers who asked me questions usually were only interested in their own areas of study, and my knowledge or lack thereof in their (sometimes very different) fields didn't matter as much. For example, I had one interviewer ask me at the beginning of the interview if I had studied design patterns. I answered that while I had used some simple ones in the past, I have never formally studied them and thus don't know that many, nor the names of the ones I do know. Despite this, he continued to ask me questions for an hour about design patterns, and became visibly angry with me when I couldn't put names to the patterns he described. This probably boils down to typical engineer unsocial tendencies.

The strangest part of the process is that you interview for a group within Microsoft that is chosen for you ahead of time without any of your own input. I ended up interviewing for a group that was doing work that did not interest me whatsoever, which made the process that much harder.

Interview Questions
    • Given a 2d matrix of numbers where each row and column is sorted in increasing order, describe an efficient algorithm to test whether a given number is in the matrix.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

I gave my resume to one of the recruiters who came to our college and they setup a phone interview with me. It took about 45-60 minutes and the interviewer asked me questions about linked lists, arrays and one brain teaser. After that i was scheduled for an on-site interview. I spoke with 2 managers and 2 developers from Remote Desktop group and i did 90 percent of the questions. However Microsoft was laying off people and they stopped a lot of positions before i went there. Remote Desktop department is not what i was going to see but i ended up seeing them. Finally 1.5 weeks later i got a letter saying that they cant offer anything

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2008.

The hiring process consisted of an initial phone screen. There never really was any technical phone interview. I believe that at this level, the companies mainly want to gague if the individual is interested in the job or not.

The on-site interview was also quite interesting. Quite a few very senior people in the organization interviewed me and the questions were not the typical run of the mill questions. Instead the questions pertained to the problems that the interviewers were working on at that point in time. At the very end of the day, i got a chance to meet the VP and spend an hour with him. This was very encouraging.

Interview Questions
    • Given a big image, how will you pan and zoom into the image in a way so as to focus on the important parts ot the image.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2008.

I got an interview along with a bunch of other of my comp sci peers while Microsoft was at a University here in MD. The interviewer was very formal, but somewhat non personable. I was two questions, one of which I could not answer. I knew the interview was bust after that, so I asked him about R&D for fun.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate a pixle on a monitor using a singular matrix in memory and change the color   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

They treat their interviewees very well. They will put in a nice hotel, give you a rental, and pay your expenses for you to spend an extra day and night in the area to get to know it and explore and have fun. The interview itself lasts a fair part of the day and involves talking to several engineers. The questions are pretty standard algorithms and problem solving questions. Almost all of them asked me to write code. Even lunch was an interview with the topic about facing difficulties/working in teams/interacting with others and so on.

I was very impressed with the work, offer, and suggested flexibility.

Interview Questions
    • How to write an evaluator for a string like "(1+3 * ( 5 / 4)) and get a numeric result.   View Answers (3)

I had another I really liked on the East Coast. It was a tough tough choice.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2008.

I applied through on campus Job Fair. Microsoft contacted me online asking for an on-site interview. The interview itself took about 30 minutes. Questions were more about to see your problem solving skills and analytic approach than technical skills. Interviewer was a project manager. At the end of the interview, it took three weeks to be notified that there won't be any offer. Interviewer was nice and polite. He knew the stuff.

Interview Questions
    • How many unique paths are there from B-L point to the T-R point of a chess table? What would be your approach to calculate this?   View Answers (6)
    • Write a code for finding a certain element in an unsorted array assuming element definitely exists. How can we improve the efficiency?   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I had only one interview, however it was an on-site interview. I was asked to implement a couple of existing methods from standard libraries. I had the choice of using either C#, Java, C, or C++ (and possibly Python). The methods were from the primitive wrappers classes, with the exception of String class.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected questions were concerning dealing with lower-level stuff, such as ASCII table manipulation. I was not supposed to know it by heart, but I was supposed to know some of its important properties.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Simple interview, no surprises. Its a big corporate, so everything you would expect from the standard interview process, including personality, interests, strengths, technical questions. A fair amount of questions were asked about previous employments and projects, employment history and so on. Expectations were a big part of the process. Read about any cliche corporate interview, and its all here.