Microsoft

Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

phone interview and onsite

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

There is phone interview first. It helps people in each side to know other better. Candidate also gets chance to ask about details about the work.

Then there is onsite interview with 3-4 rounds. Candidates are asked about algorithm, coding, design questions. Algorithms are not so hard, but need some thinking to come out good solution. Candidates are asked about understanding about programming language and database.

If everything goes good, candidates will see the hire manage at last. Then wait for 1 - 2 weeks for the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

It took me just one on-campus interview. I contacted them through a career fair. It was one software engineer from a network engineering team interviewing me for about 45 minutes. The first 10 minutes, he spent asking me questions on my previous work experience and projects. Then the next 10 minutes, he asked me an open-ended question on how to design a coke vending machine. During the last 10 to 15 minutes, he asked me technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Write a C++ code to reverse the order of words in a string, without using any additional buffer.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

4 programing skill test.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

telephonic interview follwed by the 1:1 interview. Both the interviews were great. Telephonic interview was mostly covering my background and experience with some CS fundamentals questions.

I had another offer

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Telephoning followed by in person

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

One question about algrithm. Please focus on the details.

Interview Questions
    • A sorted list is rotated, and find the index for the first value.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

I submitted my resume on the career fair in Sep and then got the recruiter contact me for on-campus interview at end of october. I was given a form to choose between three roles: developer, tester and program manager. I chose to interview as a developer.
    Asked about the basic data structure and algorithm questions. It has two coding questions. One is ask about how to reverse an array in place. The other is to find the number of repeated words in a string.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Phone interview took just 15 minutes. There were general questions: what is context, context switching, critical section, threads, some questions about sorting algos, binary search trees. Some programming questions: what is difference between int and Integer (for java), what is difference between String and StringBuffer.
    I think I was kinda stupid person :) because there was no logical question.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Following a phone interview I was invited to the Redmond campus for a long day of one-on-one interviews. Microsoft was gracious enough to pay all of my expenses for flying out to WA and eating/traveling.

The 1:1 interviews themselves were interesting and difficult but often oddly focused: I felt as if the engineers who asked me questions usually were only interested in their own areas of study, and my knowledge or lack thereof in their (sometimes very different) fields didn't matter as much. For example, I had one interviewer ask me at the beginning of the interview if I had studied design patterns. I answered that while I had used some simple ones in the past, I have never formally studied them and thus don't know that many, nor the names of the ones I do know. Despite this, he continued to ask me questions for an hour about design patterns, and became visibly angry with me when I couldn't put names to the patterns he described. This probably boils down to typical engineer unsocial tendencies.

The strangest part of the process is that you interview for a group within Microsoft that is chosen for you ahead of time without any of your own input. I ended up interviewing for a group that was doing work that did not interest me whatsoever, which made the process that much harder.

Interview Questions
    • Given a 2d matrix of numbers where each row and column is sorted in increasing order, describe an efficient algorithm to test whether a given number is in the matrix.   View Answers (3)