Microsoft

Getting the Interview

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and one in person over a 6 month period, hiring process pretty long.

Interview Question – Technical questions on Microsoft's hardware and software.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – First a telephone interview with a speed reader and her script. Phone Tech screen easy. I nvite for a face to face so disorganized. Was handed off to this person and then to another person I thought it was a joke. No one response to questions prior to flying out. The day before you leave they send you a ppt and say prepare to deliver this.

Interview Question – No difficult questions but plenty of stupid questions. Example, where is my data kept with office 365 coming from the role play director of IT. Rather than trying to find out who you are and what makes you think the way you do, the role play was a table full of employees from a client that behaved like brats in pre school including spending far too much time arguing with each other. I have worked in the industry for 20 years with major premiere hardware and software clients and none behaved like this group of snoogle wanna be's..... Even when the system went down at a brokerage house.

They had to have watched the movie "The Internship" and Mr. Chetty was front and center. The arrogance of the team got in the way of my desire to want to work for Microsoft.

As you leave the interviews the hiring manager assures you will hear something next week. Nada, zero, nothing, even after reaching out and asking what's the decision. Big promises - little deliver.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I checked this because if anyone would have got back to me with an offer I would have declined.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had several phone interviews and conversations with MS employees. Everyone was amazingly friendly and helpful. I completed the in-person interview and everyone was supportive and open. It was a long day and process in general but still went very smoothly and I was kept in good communication so I always knew what was going on.

Interview Question – Just a lot of almost impossible to get it right questions. Just mostly focused on how you handle pressure and difficult situations/personalities.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – No Pros at all because interviewer was not prepared

Interview Question – Asking about company structure and future growth which is totally Unexpected Question because how person who is not in the organization will know the strategic plan for company growth. Interviewer didnt ask any question related to job or requirement.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Recruiter screen, tech screen, team lead telephonic, then a series of face to face interviews

Interview Question – How many piano tuners are there in the world   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer letter and yes.no acceptance. No negotiations

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted a recruiter at a career fair at my college, was contacted via email about a month later. Had a two phone interviews and then an full-day on-site interview in Seattle. Was very smooth, friendly and if you had the technical knowledge and were a strong interviewer, this should not be as impossible as you think. Every interviewer was very friendly and it was like we were just having a lunch conversation.

Interview Question – Last interviewer said I had been doing very, very well and asked me why Microsoft shouldn't hire me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, except for location.

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview with another technical account manager. Third interview was onsite to role play meeting with a fake client. Panel consisted of five employees; two managers and three technical account managers. One hour timed PowerPoint presentation provided by Microsoft. The last half hour was an open discussion. Last interview was by phone with national director.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate; great benefits package. Research average salary.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – Very well structured interview process, starting with an HR interview, followed by an initial phone screen and a final on-site interview with multiple employees. Great communication by HR on the logistics and status of interviews.

Interview Question – No real surprises regarding questions   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – I responded to the position through Microsoft's career board and within 2 weeks, received an email from a MS recruiter. Within a day, they were scheduling an interview. The original recruiter became sick so a 'stand in' recruiter was the one the actually called and did my initial phone interview. The next day, they wanted me to speak with a 'technical' rep, someone who turns out, wasn't even the hiring manager, but someone on the same team that I'd be working with. Not sure if that is common practice, but it did not make much sense other than to see if there would be some sort of personality conflict. The interview went well, in my opinion, and was told to expect a follow up email about face to face interview schedules. Never heard anything back and did not pursue any feedback. Looking back, it felt very rushed, as though HR was just trying to fulfill a 'three candidate interview' requirement.

Interview Question – If your customer wants something before the end of the day and you know that it is impossible to get it to them, then your manager wants something done by the end of the same day, how do you handle that? Keeping in mind that you know it will be impossible to get it done.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I am a computer science major and I actually applied for the new graduate software engineering position. Although it was exciting to get contacted for an interview, I was a little disappointed because it was for the technical account manager role. Apparently when you send in your resume for a technical position, your resume gets put into the pool for all other technical positions as well. I was setup with a phone interview, and that was as far as I got. They asked me a bunch of customer service questions. For example, explain a situation you have been in that demonstrates your customer service skills.

Interview Question – Explain how to use a golf club.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Technical Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 32 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.