Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

3.3

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I was e-mailed about my on campus interview a few days after the career fair held in my college in which Microsoft had it's stall and a huge line of applicants.
At the beginning of the interview, he let me know that we will go over my resume then he has a few "tactical" and behavioral questions for me.
My interview was for the TAM/AC position, was a 30mins interview in which most of the time was spent on my resume. (Although I think you are not supposed to go into detail, stick to the STAR approach and highlight the results of your work experience rather than just blabbing about your work responsibilities).
Then a couple of behavioral questions as to why I want to join Microsoft? etc...
I guess I spent too much time talking about my internships trying to relate them to "customer facing" and how I tackled several problems, that he didn't have time for "tactical questions"..

Interview Questions
  • No technical or business case question. All behavioral!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied a couple of months and totally forgot I even applied. June 2014. Got an email mid August scheduling initial phone interview. No updates for a couple of weeks then an email for phone interview (30 - 45 minutes). Had the interview and thought it went well. Waited over a month no follow up. Sent follow up / Thank you email right after interview and not even a word. The phone interview itself showed I knew more in my 13 years than the TAM I interviewed with who only had about 3 yrs experience....it was a good knowledge exchange.

I do have to say I observed some arrogance on the part of the interviewer (after-all they're Microsoft). It may be a great company but honestly I'm not impressed.

Whole process took about 3 months. Thankfully they were just one of many options I had on the table. Had to pass on the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were straight forward. Just one about a system platform that I felt was interesting.   Answer Question

They came across as being arrogant and childish over the fact that they're "Microsoft".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I had a initial face to face to face followed by 3 phone interviews. Very professional interviewers mostly behavioral questions. Few scenario questions were asked such as If you were in a elevator with a CFO of one of your companies and he asked you to explain the cloud. What would you say? Actually enjoyed my interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Situation when you had a boss who disagreed with a plan and wanted you to do it differently. How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Colonias, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Colonias, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

Received initial email in response to my application from HR on 4/14/14. HR screening 4/15/14.
    Interviewed via phone with TAM team member 4/23/14.
    Interviewed via phone with senior TAM team member 5/16/14.
    Finals day interview (face-to-face) 6/6/14

Face-to-face interview - I had six 45 minute interviews and one presentation. The entire day of interview lasted from 9AM to 3PM. It was 3 of us onsite interviewing for the TAM role that day but we all interviewed and presented separately.

The HR recruiters really spend time preparing you for your interview. If you make ti to the finals day interview they will email you lots of information. Info such as: about the TAM role, key initiatives for this role, key stakeholders and other internal organizations this role will interact with, how to prep/what to do pre-interview, and what to expect for your finals Day interview. They may also email you a scenario base question for you to complete a writing sample and a PowerPoint to edit and take with you on the day of your interview to be present to the team. The presentation should be presented for no longer than 10 minutes(I recommend no more than 5 slides with main points).

Interview Questions
    • What if you have been trying to setup a meeting with a busy executive for a contract renewal, final got the meeting scheduled. This meet must happen because you don't know when you will be able to schedule this meeting again. 15 minutes prior to the meeting you got a call form one of your other clients - mission critical situation servers down - what would you do?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Initial technical phone screen which I passed. The job was then filled internally. I had to call back two weeks later and then they offered a different location. I accepted and they flew me out for an in person interview process with ~5 member panel.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They pride themselves on the fact that there are a line of people behind you that will take the position. MS isn't about hiring the best any longer, they want clay that will drink their coolaid so they can form, mold, use and then discard.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

2 phone interviews and one in person over a 6 month period, hiring process pretty long.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions on Microsoft's hardware and software.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I had several phone interviews and conversations with MS employees. Everyone was amazingly friendly and helpful. I completed the in-person interview and everyone was supportive and open. It was a long day and process in general but still went very smoothly and I was kept in good communication so I always knew what was going on.

Interview Questions
    • Just a lot of almost impossible to get it right questions. Just mostly focused on how you handle pressure and difficult situations/personalities.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

First a telephone interview with a speed reader and her script. Phone Tech screen easy. I nvite for a face to face so disorganized. Was handed off to this person and then to another person I thought it was a joke. No one response to questions prior to flying out. The day before you leave they send you a ppt and say prepare to deliver this.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but plenty of stupid questions. Example, where is my data kept with office 365 coming from the role play director of IT. Rather than trying to find out who you are and what makes you think the way you do, the role play was a table full of employees from a client that behaved like brats in pre school including spending far too much time arguing with each other. I have worked in the industry for 20 years with major premiere hardware and software clients and none behaved like this group of snoogle wanna be's..... Even when the system went down at a brokerage house.

They had to have watched the movie "The Internship" and Mr. Chetty was front and center. The arrogance of the team got in the way of my desire to want to work for Microsoft.

As you leave the interviews the hiring manager assures you will hear something next week. Nada, zero, nothing, even after reaching out and asking what's the decision. Big promises - little deliver.
        Answer Question

I checked this because if anyone would have got back to me with an offer I would have declined.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Recruiter screen, tech screen, team lead telephonic, then a series of face to face interviews

Interview Questions
    • How many piano tuners are there in the world   View Answer
    Offer letter and yes.no acceptance. No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

No Pros at all because interviewer was not prepared

Interview Questions
    • Asking about company structure and future growth which is totally Unexpected Question because how person who is not in the organization will know the strategic plan for company growth. Interviewer didnt ask any question related to job or requirement.   View Answer