Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Very much a role playing exercise where I had to run a monthly review for a fictitious customer. After running the meeting with 6 other attendees, they did take the opportunity to ask questions (as a panel) and then gave me the opportunity to ask my own set of questions It was difficult, but certainly an enjoyable interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based behaviors were largely evaluated during the first part of the interview. Other questions: Why do you want to work for Microsoft? They are truly trying to see if you will fit into the Microsoft culture. what do you do when you become stressed and can't keep up with the workload? How do you keep up to date with technology?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2015.

Interview

Entire process took almost 90 days from initial contact through interview feedback. Haphazard and poorly organized. Sat for two hours waiting for first interview to start. Three weeks to hear back from recruiter.

Interview Questions

• You could do this job in your sleep, but why would you want to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was in an Open House format. After checking-in with the recruiters, you are to visit all applicable groups in the meeting rooms. At each table you will meet professionals of the discipline and get the opportunity to ask questions about the positions, discuss the company, and talk about your experiences.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with SQL Server and Windows Server?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later via email. It started with the usual initial recruiter screen. The hiring manager screen came a couple of days. At the end of the call, he offered an in person interview. About a week and a half later I was on the Irvine campus. The interviews were one on one with potential peers and the hiring manager. I had five interviews that lasted 50 minutes each. Lunch was provided. Best way to prep for a TAM interview is to review Change Management, Service Delivery and practice answering your questions on a whiteboard. You will be asked to write things out. The questions were not really technical, but more of processes and "Tell me a time when you....". The entire TAM team was really nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Define and show me what Change Management is on the whiteboard.   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied to the position online and they requested a phone interview within a month. The interview was pretty straight forward and had no technical questions. It lasted for just half and hour and part of the time was spent talking about the position and the interviewer's experience with Microsoft. That left only about 15 minutes worth of behavioral questions and general running through my resume. I heard back about 2 weeks after this phone interview and was not invited for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Just basic questions about my resume and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was e-mailed about my on campus interview a few days after the career fair held in my college in which Microsoft had it's stall and a huge line of applicants. At the beginning of the interview, he let me know that we will go over my resume then he has a few "tactical" and behavioral questions for me. My interview was for the TAM/AC position, was a 30mins interview in which most of the time was spent on my resume. (Although I think you are not supposed to go into detail, stick to the STAR approach and highlight the results of your work experience rather than just blabbing about your work responsibilities). Then a couple of behavioral questions as to why I want to join Microsoft? etc... I guess I spent too much time talking about my internships trying to relate them to "customer facing" and how I tackled several problems, that he didn't have time for "tactical questions"..

Interview Questions

• No technical or business case question. All behavioral!   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied a couple of months and totally forgot I even applied. June 2014. Got an email mid August scheduling initial phone interview. No updates for a couple of weeks then an email for phone interview (30 - 45 minutes). Had the interview and thought it went well. Waited over a month no follow up. Sent follow up / Thank you email right after interview and not even a word. The phone interview itself showed I knew more in my 13 years than the TAM I interviewed with who only had about 3 yrs experience....it was a good knowledge exchange. I do have to say I observed some arrogance on the part of the interviewer (after-all they're Microsoft). It may be a great company but honestly I'm not impressed. Whole process took about 3 months. Thankfully they were just one of many options I had on the table. Had to pass on the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were straight forward. Just one about a system platform that I felt was interesting.   Answer Question

They came across as being arrogant and childish over the fact that they're "Microsoft".

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

I had a initial face to face to face followed by 3 phone interviews. Very professional interviewers mostly behavioral questions. Few scenario questions were asked such as If you were in a elevator with a CFO of one of your companies and he asked you to explain the cloud. What would you say? Actually enjoyed my interviews.

Interview Questions

• Situation when you had a boss who disagreed with a plan and wanted you to do it differently. How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a worth while experience for me. I started my day with several interviews for different teams. I then had 2 other interviews with colleagues of the position. I then went on to have another interview with a manager of the position and then got hired on after.

Interview Questions

• If you were in an elevator with the CEO of a company how would you explain the cloud in 90 seconds?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Colonias, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Las Colonias, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Received initial email in response to my application from HR on 4/14/14. HR screening 4/15/14. Interviewed via phone with TAM team member 4/23/14. Interviewed via phone with senior TAM team member 5/16/14. Finals day interview (face-to-face) 6/6/14 Face-to-face interview - I had six 45 minute interviews and one presentation. The entire day of interview lasted from 9AM to 3PM. It was 3 of us onsite interviewing for the TAM role that day but we all interviewed and presented separately. The HR recruiters really spend time preparing you for your interview. If you make ti to the finals day interview they will email you lots of information. Info such as: about the TAM role, key initiatives for this role, key stakeholders and other internal organizations this role will interact with, how to prep/what to do pre-interview, and what to expect for your finals Day interview. They may also email you a scenario base question for you to complete a writing sample and a PowerPoint to edit and take with you on the day of your interview to be present to the team. The presentation should be presented for no longer than 10 minutes(I recommend no more than 5 slides with main points).

Interview Questions

• What if you have been trying to setup a meeting with a busy executive for a contract renewal, final got the meeting scheduled. This meet must happen because you don't know when you will be able to schedule this meeting again. 15 minutes prior to the meeting you got a call form one of your other clients - mission critical situation servers down - what would you do?   2 Answers