Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.5

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied a couple of months and totally forgot I even applied. June 2014. Got an email mid August scheduling initial phone interview. No updates for a couple of weeks then an email for phone interview (30 - 45 minutes). Had the interview and thought it went well. Waited over a month no follow up. Sent follow up / Thank you email right after interview and not even a word. The phone interview itself showed I knew more in my 13 years than the TAM I interviewed with who only had about 3 yrs experience....it was a good knowledge exchange. I do have to say I observed some arrogance on the part of the interviewer (after-all they're Microsoft). It may be a great company but honestly I'm not impressed. Whole process took about 3 months. Thankfully they were just one of many options I had on the table. Had to pass on the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were straight forward. Just one about a system platform that I felt was interesting.   Answer Question

They came across as being arrogant and childish over the fact that they're "Microsoft".

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

I had a initial face to face to face followed by 3 phone interviews. Very professional interviewers mostly behavioral questions. Few scenario questions were asked such as If you were in a elevator with a CFO of one of your companies and he asked you to explain the cloud. What would you say? Actually enjoyed my interviews.

Interview Questions

• Situation when you had a boss who disagreed with a plan and wanted you to do it differently. How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a worth while experience for me. I started my day with several interviews for different teams. I then had 2 other interviews with colleagues of the position. I then went on to have another interview with a manager of the position and then got hired on after.

Interview Questions

• If you were in an elevator with the CEO of a company how would you explain the cloud in 90 seconds?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Initial technical phone screen which I passed. The job was then filled internally. I had to call back two weeks later and then they offered a different location. I accepted and they flew me out for an in person interview process with ~5 member panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your worst failure and biggest success.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation. They pride themselves on the fact that there are a line of people behind you that will take the position. MS isn't about hiring the best any longer, they want clay that will drink their coolaid so they can form, mold, use and then discard.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

2 phone interviews and one in person over a 6 month period, hiring process pretty long.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions on Microsoft's hardware and software.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Recruiter screen, tech screen, team lead telephonic, then a series of face to face interviews

Interview Questions

• How many piano tuners are there in the world   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer letter and yes.no acceptance. No negotiations

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

First a telephone interview with a speed reader and her script. Phone Tech screen easy. I nvite for a face to face so disorganized. Was handed off to this person and then to another person I thought it was a joke. No one response to questions prior to flying out. The day before you leave they send you a ppt and say prepare to deliver this.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions but plenty of stupid questions. Example, where is my data kept with office 365 coming from the role play director of IT. Rather than trying to find out who you are and what makes you think the way you do, the role play was a table full of employees from a client that behaved like brats in pre school including spending far too much time arguing with each other. I have worked in the industry for 20 years with major premiere hardware and software clients and none behaved like this group of snoogle wanna be's..... Even when the system went down at a brokerage house. They had to have watched the movie "The Internship" and Mr. Chetty was front and center. The arrogance of the team got in the way of my desire to want to work for Microsoft. As you leave the interviews the hiring manager assures you will hear something next week. Nada, zero, nothing, even after reaching out and asking what's the decision. Big promises - little deliver.   Answer Question

I checked this because if anyone would have got back to me with an offer I would have declined.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

As part of the MACH hiring process, I interviewed for both consulting roles and technical account manager roles. 4 interviews, each were 45 minutes each so it was quite a long day

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my resume. They will grill you on anything you put on your resume until you have no more left to say. Between interviews they chat with one another to discuss who they would like to see go forward.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview with another technical account manager. Third interview was onsite to role play meeting with a fake client. Panel consisted of five employees; two managers and three technical account managers. One hour timed PowerPoint presentation provided by Microsoft. The last half hour was an open discussion. Last interview was by phone with national director.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate; great benefits package. Research average salary.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Contacted a recruiter at a career fair at my college, was contacted via email about a month later. Had a two phone interviews and then an full-day on-site interview in Seattle. Was very smooth, friendly and if you had the technical knowledge and were a strong interviewer, this should not be as impossible as you think. Every interviewer was very friendly and it was like we were just having a lunch conversation.

Interview Questions

• Last interviewer said I had been doing very, very well and asked me why Microsoft shouldn't hire me.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, except for location.