Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.2

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Recruiter screen, tech screen, team lead telephonic, then a series of face to face interviews

Interview Questions

• How many piano tuners are there in the world   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer letter and yes.no acceptance. No negotiations

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (Las Colonias, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Received initial email in response to my application from HR on 4/14/14. HR screening 4/15/14.
    Interviewed via phone with TAM team member 4/23/14.
    Interviewed via phone with senior TAM team member 5/16/14.
    Finals day interview (face-to-face) 6/6/14

Face-to-face interview - I had six 45 minute interviews and one presentation. The entire day of interview lasted from 9AM to 3PM. It was 3 of us onsite interviewing for the TAM role that day but we all interviewed and presented separately.

The HR recruiters really spend time preparing you for your interview. If you make ti to the finals day interview they will email you lots of information. Info such as: about the TAM role, key initiatives for this role, key stakeholders and other internal organizations this role will interact with, how to prep/what to do pre-interview, and what to expect for your finals Day interview. They may also email you a scenario base question for you to complete a writing sample and a PowerPoint to edit and take with you on the day of your interview to be present to the team. The presentation should be presented for no longer than 10 minutes(I recommend no more than 5 slides with main points).

Interview Questions

• What if you have been trying to setup a meeting with a busy executive for a contract renewal, final got the meeting scheduled. This meet must happen because you don't know when you will be able to schedule this meeting again. 15 minutes prior to the meeting you got a call form one of your other clients - mission critical situation servers down - what would you do?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview with another technical account manager. Third interview was onsite to role play meeting with a fake client. Panel consisted of five employees; two managers and three technical account managers. One hour timed PowerPoint presentation provided by Microsoft. The last half hour was an open discussion. Last interview was by phone with national director.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate; great benefits package. Research average salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Contacted a recruiter at a career fair at my college, was contacted via email about a month later. Had a two phone interviews and then an full-day on-site interview in Seattle. Was very smooth, friendly and if you had the technical knowledge and were a strong interviewer, this should not be as impossible as you think. Every interviewer was very friendly and it was like we were just having a lunch conversation.

Interview Questions

• Last interviewer said I had been doing very, very well and asked me why Microsoft shouldn't hire me.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, except for location.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview

I had several phone interviews and conversations with MS employees. Everyone was amazingly friendly and helpful. I completed the in-person interview and everyone was supportive and open. It was a long day and process in general but still went very smoothly and I was kept in good communication so I always knew what was going on.

Interview Questions

• Just a lot of almost impossible to get it right questions. Just mostly focused on how you handle pressure and difficult situations/personalities.   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview

You can sense how established and professional MSFT is by their process and communication style. The recruiter sent me 2 docs including life at MS and how to prepare for your interview. That last doc was overkill as it had advice down to making a 90 day plan and formal wear.

The real phone interview was about an hour and all situational questions. you should pick the relevant stories and tell them well.

Interview Questions

• if you were in a meeting by yourself with a client that took a month to book and you get an emergency phone call from another client asking for help on the spot, what would you do.   Answer Question
    • what is your biggest failure   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview

I initially started with a phone interview which went very well. She asked typical customer service related questions. For example, you are going to meet with a new customer, what would you do in order to gain knowledge about the company? After the phone interview i was invited to an on campus interview. The company provided all travel arrangements. The day of the interview i had 4 interviews. The first one was job fit interview, the second and third one was a case interview, and the 4th one was behavioral. Thought i did ok but i guess that was not good enough because i did not get the job.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview

I was called by the interviewer and she jumped right in. She asked me to talk about myself. I gave her the elevator speech. The rest were behavior based, with the exception of "Why Microsoft?" I was asked at the end of the interview was to teach her how to swing a gold club over the phone. I think that I did well because she giggled a couple of times. I found out 3 hours later that I was invited to Microsoft for a final interview. That will be in 2 weeks. I will update at that time.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of interview (First + Final). The entire process took 2 months. Overall the experience was very nice. Had an absolutely amazing experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in December 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was an initial phone screen followed by 4 one on one interviews at a regional company location. The interviewers were nice and mainly focused on dealing with specific situations, critical thinking skills as well as overall personality and enthusiasm. My advice, think through each question and do it out loud so the interviewers can get an idea of your thinking process.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which you were the POC for a customer and they asked that they receive a new POC because they didn't like something about you.   Answer Question