Microsoft

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – Very well structured interview process, starting with an HR interview, followed by an initial phone screen and a final on-site interview with multiple employees. Great communication by HR on the logistics and status of interviews.

Interview Question – No real surprises regarding questions   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – I responded to the position through Microsoft's career board and within 2 weeks, received an email from a MS recruiter. Within a day, they were scheduling an interview. The original recruiter became sick so a 'stand in' recruiter was the one the actually called and did my initial phone interview. The next day, they wanted me to speak with a 'technical' rep, someone who turns out, wasn't even the hiring manager, but someone on the same team that I'd be working with. Not sure if that is common practice, but it did not make much sense other than to see if there would be some sort of personality conflict. The interview went well, in my opinion, and was told to expect a follow up email about face to face interview schedules. Never heard anything back and did not pursue any feedback. Looking back, it felt very rushed, as though HR was just trying to fulfill a 'three candidate interview' requirement.

Interview Question – If your customer wants something before the end of the day and you know that it is impossible to get it to them, then your manager wants something done by the end of the same day, how do you handle that? Keeping in mind that you know it will be impossible to get it done.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I am a computer science major and I actually applied for the new graduate software engineering position. Although it was exciting to get contacted for an interview, I was a little disappointed because it was for the technical account manager role. Apparently when you send in your resume for a technical position, your resume gets put into the pool for all other technical positions as well. I was setup with a phone interview, and that was as far as I got. They asked me a bunch of customer service questions. For example, explain a situation you have been in that demonstrates your customer service skills.

Interview Question – Explain how to use a golf club.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – To attain call from the hiring manager took 4-months. The interview was technical. He wanted to know my skill sets with AD and Windows Registry.

Interview Question – Technical questions.   Answer Question

Irving, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Applied online, through school's career site and talked with reps at career fair.
2. On campus interview. 30 minutes standard questions (Why Microsoft, time you had a problem and what would you do differently, etc.)
3. On site interview in Irving for. 4 30 minute interviews.

Interview Question – Roleplay with interviewer of GE CIO calling me because their Exchange server has been down for 1.5 hours and they've lost 1.5 million dollars in revenue.

Consulting question about how to optimize getting a drink product to multiple stores during a Super Bowl promotion where they were selling out at 60% of the stores.

Why Microsoft and not Google or Apple or Facebook?

Explain the cloud to me as if I'm a customer who doesn't understand what it is.

*There were different groups of interviewers who even though they were interviewing for the same positions asked completely different questions.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't attempt to negotiate because it was a generous offer and the best I had received.

Waukesha, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a MS recruiter and was scheduled for a technical interview. The interview wasn't very technical and then I moved on to a panel interview with the hiring manager and his peer. An offer soon followed the whole process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Question – They gave me a situation where a customer denied a phone conversation where they agreed to have on-site help. Since this wasn't in email we couldn't charge them for services.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was an initial phone screen followed by 4 one on one interviews at a regional company location. The interviewers were nice and mainly focused on dealing with specific situations, critical thinking skills as well as overall personality and enthusiasm. My advice, think through each question and do it out loud so the interviewers can get an idea of your thinking process.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation in which you were the POC for a customer and they asked that they receive a new POC because they didn't like something about you.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – Four, 45 minute interviews on campus. They were mostly conversational. I thought I did really well, but apparently I wasn't a good fit for the position. In currently interviewing for another position within the company though. Make sure you don't use a GMail for your resume because I got called out on it.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – Oct: Met with the recruiter at college career fair
Nov: Received phone interview
Dec: Received invitation to Charlotte, NC
January: Interview Day (Consist of 3 days: arrival/interview/individual tour)

Arrival: Dinner was paid for, and we get to meet with the past hires and some interviewers (casual dinner)
Hotel/Rides were given.

Interview day: consist of ~40 rotating students getting 1:1 interview with 4 interviewers.
Main question to prepare for is, "Why Microsoft?"

Interview Questions

New Orleans, LA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – My interview process was approximately 4 hours long. For the most part it was other TAMs interviewing me and all the questions were how to deal with difficult customers and putting me on the spot. I didn't get asked one technical question. Go figure. They also asked me to provide examples from my current job of how I dealt with a difficult situation and what the outcome was.

Interview Questions

• You are out with a customer at dinner and the customer is obviouly drunk and is continuting to bad mouth not only you but Microsoft. Basically saying Microsoft sucks and you don't provide me any value. What do you do?   View Answer
  • The MS Account rep offers you tickets to a professional basket ball game so you can take the customer and hopefully discuss a certain project. You and the customer discuss a project while at the game and he informas that he's decided to go with a non-microsoft solution and tells you not ot say anything to the MS account rep about it. Upon returning from the game.the Account rep asked what you talked about and whether the customer has made a decision about the solution. What do you do? Do you tell the Account Rep?   View Answer