Microsoft

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – After a 30 minute phone interview, I was asked to come in for an 8-hour interview in Redmond. I was interviewed by 6 people on the team and even interviewed during lunch. I found out later on that they were really looking for a programmer/writer so that they could get away with paying a dev the pay of a tech writer.

Interview Question – The most difficult was when a programmer came in to interview me and asked me to read code on the board. I am a technical writer, so I didn't read code.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Terrible. No questions asked had anything to do with ability to communicate technical information. Too many interviews, too long. If you don't get asked to lunch, you are out. Very demeaning.

Interview Question – What is your favorite dev site? WHy should we hire you?   View Answers (2)

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

Interview Details – A preliminary phone interview followed by an interview loop. Each member of the interview team has an area to cover. They escort you to the next person and then real quickly fill out an assessment. A bad assessment and your interview loop ends. For full time positions, be sure to stress how exciting it will be to work at Microsoft. Drink the koolaid. Sometimes the loop ends with an interview with the group director.

Interview Question – Describe how you would document a Restful application.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Ask if they can sweeten the pot, often they can.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reno, NV

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed in the same team where I was contracting for 4.5 years. I know a LOT about the team and hence I applied. At the beginning, I met with the recruiter who ran me through the names of three people I would be interviewing. Interviewers were three writers in the team. Asked me a lot of questions: behavioral, my knowledge about the products and process, situational, and questions like what I would change.

Interview Question – What things would you change about the team?   Answer Question

Haifa (Israel)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details – Excellent experience - offered position within a week. Interview process consisted of two interviews - first with team lead, second with group lead.

#1 - pleasant conversation, given a typical technical writing problem to turn into English
#2 - met with group lead in a coffee house, was asked some tough questions about writing approaches

Interview Question – I was asked what type of writing I'd most like to do, to see if I'd fit in with the personalities of the current team. I guess I answered correctly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate for a better salary, but I was very satisfied with what I was offered.

Technical Writer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by 6 people. Some of the information I was given during the interviews turned out not to be accurate.

Negotiation Details – I got what I asked for.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!