Microsoft Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with group manager. Relatively low key. Half was a info push about the group: their products, goals, responsibilities, work processes, etc. Other half was question & answer falling into three general categories: my technical background/work experience, my interests and expectations, my knowledge of groups technologies and products. Follow-up was a single email exchange thanking me for my interest in the job and so on.

Interview Questions

• What hands-on experience have you had with Azure technologies?   1 Answer
  • How much interest do you have in Azure AD?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

After a 30 minute phone interview, I was asked to come in for an 8-hour interview in Redmond. I was interviewed by 6 people on the team and even interviewed during lunch. I found out later on that they were really looking for a programmer/writer so that they could get away with paying a dev the pay of a tech writer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult was when a programmer came in to interview me and asked me to read code on the board. I am a technical writer, so I didn't read code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Extensive. Full day of meetings, with up to 8 people plus one large group interview. If the first line of interviewers approves, then an "as appropriate" interview with a senior manager such as a director or GM is arranged. The entire process can take 3 - 5 days to a job offer. Friendly atmosphere, more checking for a "good people fit" rather than digging hard into skills and experience except at the most senior management interviews, where you're challenged on what you already know about the business arm.

Interview Questions

• Whether my choice of a specific word on my resume was intentional and correct - using the term purpose as a verb instead of a noun or a similar term, such as propose. Also how I'd handle escalations.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Terrible. No questions asked had anything to do with ability to communicate technical information. Too many interviews, too long. If you don't get asked to lunch, you are out. Very demeaning.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite dev site? WHy should we hire you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reno, NV) in January 2011.

Interview

I interviewed in the same team where I was contracting for 4.5 years. I know a LOT about the team and hence I applied. At the beginning, I met with the recruiter who ran me through the names of three people I would be interviewing. Interviewers were three writers in the team. Asked me a lot of questions: behavioral, my knowledge about the products and process, situational, and questions like what I would change.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2008.

Interview

A preliminary phone interview followed by an interview loop. Each member of the interview team has an area to cover. They escort you to the next person and then real quickly fill out an assessment. A bad assessment and your interview loop ends. For full time positions, be sure to stress how exciting it will be to work at Microsoft. Drink the koolaid. Sometimes the loop ends with an interview with the group director.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would document a Restful application.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask if they can sweeten the pot, often they can.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by 6 people. Some of the information I was given during the interviews turned out not to be accurate.

Negotiation

I got what I asked for.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haifa (Israel)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Haifa (Israel)) in January 2008.

Interview

Excellent experience - offered position within a week. Interview process consisted of two interviews - first with team lead, second with group lead. #1 - pleasant conversation, given a typical technical writing problem to turn into English #2 - met with group lead in a coffee house, was asked some tough questions about writing approaches

Interview Questions

• I was asked what type of writing I'd most like to do, to see if I'd fit in with the personalities of the current team. I guess I answered correctly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate for a better salary, but I was very satisfied with what I was offered.