Microsoft

Updated Jul 7, 2014

3.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

After a 30 minute phone interview, I was asked to come in for an 8-hour interview in Redmond. I was interviewed by 6 people on the team and even interviewed during lunch. I found out later on that they were really looking for a programmer/writer so that they could get away with paying a dev the pay of a tech writer.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult was when a programmer came in to interview me and asked me to read code on the board. I am a technical writer, so I didn't read code.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Terrible. No questions asked had anything to do with ability to communicate technical information. Too many interviews, too long. If you don't get asked to lunch, you are out. Very demeaning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

I interviewed in the same team where I was contracting for 4.5 years. I know a LOT about the team and hence I applied. At the beginning, I met with the recruiter who ran me through the names of three people I would be interviewing. Interviewers were three writers in the team. Asked me a lot of questions: behavioral, my knowledge about the products and process, situational, and questions like what I would change.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

A preliminary phone interview followed by an interview loop. Each member of the interview team has an area to cover. They escort you to the next person and then real quickly fill out an assessment. A bad assessment and your interview loop ends. For full time positions, be sure to stress how exciting it will be to work at Microsoft. Drink the koolaid. Sometimes the loop ends with an interview with the group director.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would document a Restful application.   View Answer
    Ask if they can sweeten the pot, often they can.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

I was interviewed by 6 people. Some of the information I was given during the interviews turned out not to be accurate.

I got what I asked for.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haifa (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haifa (Israel)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Excellent experience - offered position within a week. Interview process consisted of two interviews - first with team lead, second with group lead.

#1 - pleasant conversation, given a typical technical writing problem to turn into English
    #2 - met with group lead in a coffee house, was asked some tough questions about writing approaches

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what type of writing I'd most like to do, to see if I'd fit in with the personalities of the current team. I guess I answered correctly.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate for a better salary, but I was very satisfied with what I was offered.