Microsoft Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

1) Resume screening.
    2) Online assessment.
    3) Pre recorded interview.
    4) Technical Telephone interview.
    5) Assessment center.

Sent my resume with a bunch of questions. Frame answers well. The online assessment involves - situational questions etc, Pre recorded interview consists of 8 questions with about 20 secs to think of an answer.

Interview Questions
    • Why Microsoft? What value would you bring as an intern ?
      Any additional projects apart from academics?
      Describe a time when...?
      Other situational questions?

Hexadecimal of 20, Max value in 6 bits, Code to find the value of the fourth bit in a byte? OOP etc..

Invited to the assessment center.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

First round is an online application, followed by an online situational test looking at what you would do on certain situations. If you pass then you get a recorded video interview, followed by a Skype interview and finally an assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • Would you describe yourself as business minded?   View Answer
    • What's the difference between good and great customer service?   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

I got a phone interview about half an hour. I was asked about some technical projects I have done (from my CV) and what was my role in a team, and some basic algorithm knowledge and logic puzzles, which are not hard. The process took about 3 weeks before I received the result.

Interview Questions
    • I was unexpected to be asked about thy way to test a vending machine   Answer Question

Talent Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I only completed the first stage of the process - a telephone interview, which I felt went well, however I was informed 3 days later that I did not have as strong enough experience as other candidates. The person who interviewed me was lovely, and she gave me a thorough and in depth description of the role and her vision for the team. I would still love to work for this company and will continue to apply for suitable roles in the future.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

First was an online application that asked for my CV and to answer three questions. They were fairly normal questions; why I wanted to work there/what I could offer them, a time I'd stretched myself, and an achievement I was proud of.

Then I got invited to do a recorded video interview. It's a weird thing to do as it involves watching a video of a question, and then recording yourself answering it. The questions weren't too bad, but the majority I didn't see coming, I could see how they applied to Microsoft as a whole, but thought they'd be more HR related. There were six questions in total, 30 seconds to think about your answer, and 2 minutes to give your answer, but you don't need to use up all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember the exact phrasing but along the lines of:
      - Whats the difference between good customer service and great customer service?
      - What made you apply to Microsoft?
      - Would people describe you as business-minded?
      - Whats a recent technological advancement that excites you?
      - What would you look for in a technology partner?
      - How would you handle an upset customer?

Answer Question

Business Development Graduate Interview

straight forward application process. online application with motivational questions (no cover letter, just CV). next step is an online business scenario test which looks how you would handle certain situations. Following by 2 online interviews. First is a general assessment pre-recorded interview, second is a skype interview with a person.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Microsoft? Where do you see challenges for Microsoft? How would you manage a cross-functional team?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

The process was very well streamlined. After a phone interview I got invited to the Dublin office with all expenses paid for several rounds of interviews during a single morning. Interviews were almost only purely technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What aspects should you consider when designing a website?   Answer Question

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

This was for my video interview. I passed the application and the test. It is actually very good that they give you 30 sec to prep because on a telephone interview they dont give you anything. You have 2 min to answer but you dont have to talk for 2 min. I got to the next stage. Haven't received an offer yet.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Quite in depth and well rounded questions around project management. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses and throughout, it was carried out in an environment I felt comfortable in, including a friendly interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Explain when a project didn't go the way I wanted and how did I react to it?   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

The test I was required to do was a Situational Judgement test.
    Asked 6 questions in the video interview and given 30 seconds to think of an answer and 2 minutes to record my answer. Some questions were tricky, but luckily you had plenty of time to think of a response.