Microsoft

Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.3

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Finance Placement Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

The test I was required to do was a Situational Judgement test.
    Asked 6 questions in the video interview and given 30 seconds to think of an answer and 2 minutes to record my answer. Some questions were tricky, but luckily you had plenty of time to think of a response.

Graduate Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

4 stages in total, however I only reached the third stage.

Stage 1: Application form consisting of questions about motivation for the role as well as experiences at university, followed by a behavioural test of how you would react in various scenarios.

Stage 2: Non-live video interview where you were given 8 pre-recorded questions. You are given 30 seconds to prepare, followed by 2 minutes to answer the questions.

Stage 3: Skype interview with someone who works in HR, not a hiring manager.

Stage 4: Assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • What do you define as success?

Why do you want to work at Microsoft? What interests you about technology? Why do you want to work in sales? How would you explain a complicated solution to someone that isn't technical? What do you think you would find challenging about this role? You will be completing a real role here, how do you feel about that?

Answer Question

Project Management and Business Consulting Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

After submitting the online application and the situational judgement test I was invited for a Video Interview. I had to answer 8 questions, having 2 minutes per answer and 30 sec to prepare my answer. The questions were:
    1. What do you do/How do you feel when you receive unexpected new tasks to finish during the day?
    2. How do you respond to someone senior that challenges your opinion?
    3. Do you identify opportunities for improving efficiency regularly?
    4. How do you feel when dealing with negative colleagues?
    5. How do you take the lead in group projects- what do you do and why?
    6. Are you passionate about Microsoft?
    7. Do you find it challenging when working with people who are less like you?
    8. Who will you contact when you have an issue at work?

It took them 2 days to send me an invitation for the Skype Interview. Questions during the interview were such as:
    - Explain some kind of technology to someone who has no knowledge of technology.
    - What does success mean to you?
    - What qualities do you need in order to be successful at this MACH scheme?
    - Why are you passionate about Microsoft, why the Consulting scheme, why technology?
    - How do you handle change, how do you feel when unexpected changes occur?
    - Tell me what current news you know about Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some kind of technology to someone who has no knowledge of technology.   Answer Question

Category Analyst Interview

Very long and very selective and tough. Its a great company to work for and great learning. The premises are great and its a very competitive environment.Very long and very selective and tough. Its a great company to work for and great learning. The premises are great and its a very competitive environment.Very long and very selective and tough. Its a great company to work for and great learning. The premises are great and its a very competitive environment.Very long and very selective and tough. Its a great company to work for and great learning. The premises are great and its a very competitive environment.

Software Developer Interview

very long they have several stages such as your speaking text maths understanding and then couple of interviews and then the final assesment interview
    after none of these interviews are you guranteed a place though

Technical Account Manager Interview

Telephone Interview and an Assessment Centre made up of 3 Interviews and a group exercise. You are also required to present on a relevant topic. Mine was Cloud focused.

Interview Questions
    • Having to be put in a real time client scenario and having to think on my feet.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

One of the recruiter approached me via linkedin, i had hit-around-bush chat with him just to get to know my background. then there was a formal technical interview. After that there was another one lasting for an hour. Then i was invited to the onsite interview in ireland. Unfortunately other things turned up i had to give up the chance

Interview Questions
    • all normal questions on book, algorithms, data structures etc.   Answer Question

Student Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

I applied for the MACH UK Student Internships program, on the Game Production, Art, Design & User Research track. I first applied in January 2014 through the online application. This involves you filling in your educational background, three short essay questions, and a CV submission. This stage focuses on why you are a good hire for Microsoft, and what you have done to stand out from your peers as a student.

After this I was invited to complete a pre-recorded video interview. The format for this is short interview questions from the hiring team, which you then record your answers to. There are eight questions in total. These cover a range of topics about Microsoft, business sense, leadership and teamwork. Around half of the questions will be related to your chosen track (for me they were about game design, artistic achievements and user experience design.)

Next was the live Skype interview. This covered many of the same topics as the previous two steps. It took about 25 minutes, and there was the chance to ask questions and find out more about the internships and the timelines for the application. As I was applying for the 'art' sub-track I was asked to submit a portfolio after this interview.

Finally I had my in-person interview in April 2014. This took place in London at the studio, with two of the current employees. We went though my application, and I was then asked to talk about my career path to this point, my work and my motivations. This interview was an hour long, and was very informal. I received my offer a week after the interview.

One thing to note is that the Skype interviewer, for example, will not have seen your pre-recorded interviews and may only have read your CV. So make sure your CV is good and don't worry about repeating yourself if the same question comes up in two different stages!

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest artistic achievement to date?   View Answer
    There was not much negotiation, as this is an internship position.