Microsoft User Experience Researcher Interview Questions

3.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager one day after being referred by my contract agency. A few days later I had a set of three 1:1 interviews, two with user researchers and one with a designer. The total interview process was about three hours. I was given an offer within a few days and started my employment within two weeks.

Interview Questions
  • Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?   View Answer
I was able to negotiate a higher hourly rate. Additionally, my rate was also slightly higher because I voluntarily opted out of health benefits, as I already have them through my spouse.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

Microsoft takes great care in hiring the best of the best. It's an amazing company with great people. Make sure you love what you do before joining the role. Consisted of 8 interviews back to back from 9 am - 7pm + Initial phone interview with the team. They test every possible skill from research + partnership + collaboration skills + people skills etc to make sure you are an all rounder

User Experience Researcher Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Got the interview through professor who knew the head of the dept. Phone interview went well. Was asked some technical and personal questions with regards to weakness, strengths, team work capabilities etc. Also was asked about team project experience in college coursework. Was also tested on knowledge in conducting research. Took about 45 minutes totally.

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Contacted by headhunter for private firm. Mentioned that my background was suited to a position at microsoft. Interviewed on a Friday with my immediate manager and their immediate manager. They asked a variety of questions related to my work experience and, specifically, my school experience (since I am very new to this field).

Interview Questions
    • What aspect of you education prepated you for this role?   View Answer
    This recruiting firm initially said that the manager was thinking about $40/hr. But I knew that because of my lack of experience I would have to take less. This is a vendor position and the pay is a lot higher than with agency (A-) positions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!