Microsoft

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager one day after being referred by my contract agency. A few days later I had a set of three 1:1 interviews, two with user researchers and one with a designer. The total interview process was about three hours. I was given an offer within a few days and started my employment within two weeks.

Interview Question – Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher hourly rate. Additionally, my rate was also slightly higher because I voluntarily opted out of health benefits, as I already have them through my spouse.

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

Interview Details – Microsoft takes great care in hiring the best of the best. It's an amazing company with great people. Make sure you love what you do before joining the role. Consisted of 8 interviews back to back from 9 am - 7pm + Initial phone interview with the team. They test every possible skill from research + partnership + collaboration skills + people skills etc to make sure you are an all rounder

Interview Question – Describe your previous job experience   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Got the interview through professor who knew the head of the dept. Phone interview went well. Was asked some technical and personal questions with regards to weakness, strengths, team work capabilities etc. Also was asked about team project experience in college coursework. Was also tested on knowledge in conducting research. Took about 45 minutes totally.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

User Experience Researcher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by headhunter for private firm. Mentioned that my background was suited to a position at microsoft. Interviewed on a Friday with my immediate manager and their immediate manager. They asked a variety of questions related to my work experience and, specifically, my school experience (since I am very new to this field).

Interview Question – What aspect of you education prepated you for this role?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This recruiting firm initially said that the manager was thinking about $40/hr. But I knew that because of my lack of experience I would have to take less. This is a vendor position and the pay is a lot higher than with agency (A-) positions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft User Experience Researcher interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.