Microsoft

3.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager one day after being referred by my contract agency. A few days later I had a set of three 1:1 interviews, two with user researchers and one with a designer. The total interview process was about three hours. I was given an offer within a few days and started my employment within two weeks.

Interview Questions
  • Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?   View Answer
I was able to negotiate a higher hourly rate. Additionally, my rate was also slightly higher because I voluntarily opted out of health benefits, as I already have them through my spouse.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

I got a phone interview for this position at Microsoft. The director of UX was very cordial and asked me details about my projects and honors thesis etc. I was then asked to prepare for another phone interview with a UX lead which I didn't think went very well. I didn't seem very prepared for the questions that were asked because they were more UX design related but I was expecting something about UX Research or experimental design. I should have prepared for both?

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to identify and explain a newly redesigned feature of the software that had a UX issue in the previous version. I was also asked to describe an alternative design plan for the same. I couldn't answer that very well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

Microsoft takes great care in hiring the best of the best. It's an amazing company with great people. Make sure you love what you do before joining the role. Consisted of 8 interviews back to back from 9 am - 7pm + Initial phone interview with the team. They test every possible skill from research + partnership + collaboration skills + people skills etc to make sure you are an all rounder

User Experience Researcher Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Contacted by headhunter for private firm. Mentioned that my background was suited to a position at microsoft. Interviewed on a Friday with my immediate manager and their immediate manager. They asked a variety of questions related to my work experience and, specifically, my school experience (since I am very new to this field).

Interview Questions
    • What aspect of you education prepated you for this role?   View Answer
    This recruiting firm initially said that the manager was thinking about $40/hr. But I knew that because of my lack of experience I would have to take less. This is a vendor position and the pay is a lot higher than with agency (A-) positions

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Got the interview through professor who knew the head of the dept. Phone interview went well. Was asked some technical and personal questions with regards to weakness, strengths, team work capabilities etc. Also was asked about team project experience in college coursework. Was also tested on knowledge in conducting research. Took about 45 minutes totally.