Microsoft Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 4, 2014

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Somewhat complicated and took longer than I anticipated. Microsoft may take a long time deciding where you fit, but eventually they'll steer you straight. For my first role at Microsoft, I had to talk with several people about a few different job opportunities before finally meeting with my hiring manager and landing it.

Account Manager- Public Sector (MACH) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I contacted recruiter directly via email and had a phone screen that week. The phone interview involved behavioral questions ie. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an unhappy customer. 2 weeks later received an email inviting me to interview on-site in Washington DC. The final round interview was about a month after my phone screen and was fairly laid back. There were 30 people interviewing for MACH Sales, and we all met in a room waiting for our interviewers. Each candidate had 4 interviews with the team he/she was chosen for. Be prepared for conversational interviews instead of typical stress testers/cases. Afterwards, there was an informal mixer. Found out that I received an offer exactly a week after the interview. Very quick, fun process

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite Microsoft product? How would you improve it? How would you pitch that to a client?   Answer Question
    Comp is well above expected, so did not negotiate.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

No Pros at all because interviewer was not prepared

Interview Questions
    • Asking about company structure and future growth which is totally Unexpected Question because how person who is not in the organization will know the strategic plan for company growth. Interviewer didnt ask any question related to job or requirement.   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Had six rounds of interview. It was straight forward. Had a Technical round and then puzzeles interview round and then meet some management and leaders. The lunch was informal and was able to talk general work stuff as well. The turn around time was quick. Did not get a chance to negeotiate much

Solution Sales Professional – Public Sector (Federal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my interview experience. It was unlike any other interview I had ever done. I was very impressed with the approachability, professionalism and knowledgeability of my interviewers, respective to their job roles.

I arrived in the morning and immediately had my first of there 1:1 interviews. This interview was open ended in nature, the interviewer asked me broad, open ended questions about my career goals, strengths and interest to get a general sense of my "inner workings" as a person. We discussed the requirements of a sales role in great detail and I was asked how I would handle several "real world" sales situations. This interviewer was very open and honest about what the position entails and what was expected of potential hires.

The second 1:1 interview was shorter and a little "drier" that the others. I got the impression that the interviewer was tired from flying in as he wasn't very engaging or enthusiastic. This threw me a little bit, as the previous interviewer was very upbeat and enjoyable to speak with. The interviewer for my second session was very direct, asking me specific, practical questions about my qualifications for the job. He also gave a very candid overview of the position, even outlining some "cons" instead of just "pros".

My last 1:1 interview of the day was genuinely one of the best interviews I've ever had. My interviewer was so engaging and impressive that I felt compelled to keep in touch with him regardless of whether or not I received an offer. This particular interview was different in that the questions were borderline philosophical. We sent very little time talking about the actual position--instead, we had a conversation about my passions, goals in life, early childhood influences (yes!) and how a career at Microsoft fits into my overall life plan. I did receive one question that was a bit of a brain teaser--one of those "if a train leaves the station at X time..." questions, which in all honesty, did throw me off a bit because I was previously answering, broad, philosophical questions. I also learned more about the interviewer's role in the company which was not related to the position I was applying for, but honestly fascinating nonetheless. I cannot say enough good things about this particular interviewer; he even gave me candid feedback and insider "tips" at the end of my interview. He also encouraged me to keep in touch.

Not long after my interview, I was actually surprised to receive an email from the recruiter saying that they had chosen to go with another candidate. What was interesting, however, was that immediately after the "rejection" email, I received another from the Microsoft liaison (not the 3rd party recruiter) saying that I was a "very strong" candidate, that they were "impressed with my interview" and that they desired for me to interview for another position in Seattle where I might be a better fit. Although I was grateful for the offer to interview a second time, I declined because I chose to accept an offer with another company I was dealing with that I honestly believed would be the best for me at this point in my career. All in all, I had a very positive experience with Microsoft and I would absolutely interview with the company again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • How many times could X car make it around Y freeway loop on one tank of gas?   View Answer
    • If I gave you X project with no direction before I left for a week and expected you to have it completed upon my return, how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

Contacted by a recruiter and prompted to apply online for project manager-public sector position and schedule a phone interview. Interviewer was senior-level HR and was very straightforward and somewhat abrasive at times. Typical behavioral-type questions with the exception of a few unique questions; asking you to explain a fairly basic technical subject (e.g. the internet, databases) to someone like a "child" or "your grandmother" and asking you to describe yourself (strengths/weaknesses etc..) from the perspective of a prior employer or peer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what your previous supervisor from two jobs ago (e.g. not your most recent supervisor) would describe as your three greatest weaknesses and how would your most recent supervisor respond to that and describe your three greatest strengths.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2008.

I declined to continue interview process because I received a better job. I thought they were also somewhat arrogant but after all they are Microsoft. They had me wait over an hour to meet with hiring manager while he went out to get coffee at that point I just gave up as I already close to accepting a different position.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

The outsourced HR/Recruiting staff is abysmal, committing all sorts of offenses ranging from misspelling of my name to outright failure to communicate interview timing. I was extremely underwhelmed at first, but found that if you can make it past them the Microsoft employees themselves are far more competent. Most interviews (except with the management staff) were very technical in nature. Expect to do some whiteboarding, and also expect that you won't be able to answer every question. One of my interviews seemed to be designed to push and push me to the point where in the last 10 minutes I said a whole lot of "I don't knows," and was absolutely sure I bombed it. To my surprise, I got an offer anyway. So don't get yourself down if you don't know everything.

Interview Questions
    There was no clear "negotiation" phase, and the process seemed geared toward moving directly from interviewing to an offer. Nobody asked me "what are your salary expectations?" or "what would it take to get you on board?" or any similar questions. Instead, they made an offer, and I negotiated from there. I got the distinct impression that negotiation is something that is rarely accommodated -- either you want to work for Microsoft or you don't. Still, I'm sure if you have a unique skill set and they REALLY want you, there is a little bit of wiggle room.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!