Microsoft

1,248 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,248 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was contacted by a recruiter, did a phone screen, then in person 5 round interview. If you make it past the first 2, you are pretty much hired. The tech questions were open and they kept grilling you on your design until you break. Everything from decision making to architecture design. What I liked is that they didn't grill you on pointless name these services, ports, etc but how you think and troubleshoot.

Interview Questions
    • build a multi tenant sql server architecture
      build a HA 3 tier web application where no downtime is allowed

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Skype interview.
    4 onsite interviews in Seattle. (Binary trees & linked list questions)
    Seriously - solve all of the problems you can find without the solutions.
    Stayed at the Marriott Hotel two nights. Flights and all taken care of.
    Recruiter was incredibly nice and supportive throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Find a loop in a linked list and fix it.
      Set all nodes at the same depth to have a field "next" pointing to the next in the children.. (BT)

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Sent in application for SDE, SDET, and IT positions in October. Near the end of January a recruiter called me to schedule a phone interview. 30 minute phone interview with an Engineer from the team I interviewed with asked basic questions:
    - How do you troubleshoot your home network?
    - How would you describe virtualization to your grandmother?
    - Questions about projects on my resume

The next week I was selected for an on-site. All expense paid trip to Redmond. Flew me in, stayed 3 days 2 nights in a sweet hotel, rental car, fancy meals, the works.

The on site interview was with 4 engineers from the same team. 45 minute interviews with each one. Most of them were simple conversations. If you make it to this round it's basically a culture fit. They didn't ask a single code question and none of those stupid "How many golf balls fit in a school bus" type questions. The whole team was really good. Less than a week later the recruiter contacted me with an offer. They're looking for people that love what they do and love to learn and grow on their own. It's the whole culture they support up there.

Interview Questions
    • Design a service to automate the interaction between locked and encrypted Nokia Phones and Microsoft.   Answer Question

Engineering Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online after 1 month I got mail from hr for the phone interview the phone interview was easy. After 3 weeks I got call from hr for an onsite interview at Seattle. Now everything set to go there just waiting to finish the rest of the rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly what every is there in the resume and he asked how can you search a file in the windows file system using programming language, what if the file is protected?? Now waiting for the onsite interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

I had a Initial Phone Screen Interview and had five technical rounds , In all interviews i had to talk about my past projects and work on a coding question.
    Just Putting in the onsite interview questions
    Given a array of shares , find when you have to buy and sell shares to get max profit.
    Searching in a sorted array
    Reverse words in a sentence
    Longest Palindrome in a string

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Applied online and got an email about a month later asking to schedule an over the phone interview. The phone interview is about 30 minutes long and we went over my resume and why I applied for Microsoft. Over all the first interview is pretty basic.. About a month later they sent me another email to set up a 2nd interview at Microsoft.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Had a brief 30 minute interview on campus where I was given some coding and design problems. A few months later I was flown out for a final interview in Redmond. The day of interviews went from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and consisted of five interviews (and a lunch interview). I enjoyed talking with my interviewers and Microsoft goes to great lengths to ensure a pleasant experience for candidates.

Interview Questions
    • I've been asked to not repeat the interview questions however I will say that they were designed on the spot and tailored to circumstances which we discussed. Some questions were impossible scenarios and didn't have an answer. They are looking to see how you think and your confidence in your answers. Anything on your resume is fair game so ensure you truly know what it says you do.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

A very warm and welcoming experience. I was called for on site at the head office in Seattle. nitially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

First interview was on-campus. Received an email that I had passed two weeks later but it took nearly two months to schedule the final round interviews.

Trip was planned and paid for by Microsoft. Started the day off lunch on their campus with the other interviewees, then we took a short tour of the campus. We had four interviews back to back and then were given the results within five business days.