Microsoft Interview Questions & Reviews in Washington State

3.3

1,177 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initially applied online, didn't get a response for a good month or so. A recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a college campus interview that was composed of straightforward CS questions (e.g. difference between an array and linked list) and a brainteaser (which I did not get). Same recruiter followed up a couple of days later letting me know I'd been selected for on-site interviews. A week later or so I flew to Microsoft HQ in Redmond, where I had three 45-minute interviews: one focused on testing (e.g. design a remote control and how to test it), one focused on software development (focused heavily on hashing and string manipulation), and one focused on program management (e.g. how would you change a product and why). Received a call with my offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Given 2 strings, remove every instance of every letter in the second string from the first string. Then do it without shifting letters in the first string or creating another string.
      2) What is the most efficient way of checking if a letter in the second string is in the first string in the previous problem? What if you're using all ASCII characters? What if you're using the entire Unicode character set?
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   View Answer
    No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Felt highly disorganized. Issues with email/reminder system and several communication problems with pre-interview process. Might have been something like a bad email responsible, but either way, the experience was not good, and resulted in stressors such as "are you coming to the interview next week?" (I had no idea...), and an unfortunate surprise that I was being interviewed for SDET, not SDE, which was something I had explicitly not indicated an interest in.

There were 4 interviews. Was late to one of them thanks to the whole process starting late starting with interviewer #1... could tell this made a negative impression, but there was nothing to be done.

One interviewer really did not appreciate being asked about stack rank and took it as a sign of fear /poor work ethic, although others were more receptive.

Overall, not impressed and felt like they wasted my time, but the feeling was apparently mutual. They were very good about reimbursements and accommodations though, but I wouldn't consider interviewing there again.

Interview Questions
    • There was some sorting thing using an array. It's been a bit too long so I don't really remember. Also some test-related questions for which I was unprepared.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

I wen through the full interview process, from recruiter screen up to the full day in person interviews in Bellevue (the position was for the Dynamics AX platform).

My initial technical screen was pretty standard, the question was determining if two strings were anagrams of each other. Aside from this I was able to speak with the senior engineer who was interviewing my about the position and some pro's and con's which was really great. He provided some good insight for me.

After the technical screen I was invited in for full day of interviews in Bellevue. I flew out to Seattle and stayed for 2 nights. The entire travel process was great, they covered everything and put me up
    in a nice hotel. The interview day was long, I had a series of interviews each testing different areas.
    All of the interviews were with senior engineers with 5 - 20 years experience.
    The first interview covered SQL, I was given a schema and asked to point out any issues/improvements and then write some queries.
    The next 2 covered CS based questions like algorithms, runtime analysis .. etc.
    Next I had a lunch interview where I was able to talk with another engineer about his role and get a little more of a sense of the day to day life.
    Finally I had one more algorithms based interview and that was the end.

Overall I found that the interview process was very well done and the hr staff at Microsoft were really easy to deal with. When it comes to the atmosphere at Microsoft it has a really corporate feel to it and truthfully it was not my top choice having been there but that's more of a personal preference.

Interview Questions
    • Given a number write a function to convert that number to a string that would be seen on a cheque.
      Example:
      2376 becomes two thousand three hundred and seventy six.
        Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft's in-person interview process is a series of 1:1 discussions with people of different levels within the organization that you are applying to. All aspects of the day are included in the interview process, including the semi-casual lunch that you will have. Throughout the day, people who interviewed you write comments about you into an online tool so that others interviewing you can better focus their questioning to areas of interest. In addition, interviewers also indicate whether they think you are a "hire" or "no hire". While it won't be on your interview schedule, there is an "as appropriate" interview at the end of the day, which is based on whether interviewers are suggesting that you be hired. So if you get an interview at the end of the day that's not on your schedule you should take that as a good sign, although not a guarantee of an offer.

I did not negotiate.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

I was being interviewed for a summer internship with this title, they flew me up to Washington for an in-person group interview after a screening interview at my college (which I got through handing a resume to a recruiter through the career fair). This screening interview was fairly simple, one technical question, some questions about what I'd like to work on, etc. Everything is paid for when you're up their, car, hotel, and food.

In person interview was a 5 rounds that either lasted throughout the morning or afternoon (there were two groups of interviewees from colleges across the country) and you spend about an hour with each person, and by the end they tell you on the spot if you've passed or failed.

Each interview asks some type of technical question where you solve an algorithm, everyone asks for a self evaluation on how you think you're doing at this stage in the interview.

Office where I interviewed was fairly interesting, one section had meeting rooms that all referenced video games from Halo to Half Life, there was also one of those Microsoft tablet tables with games on it, as well as an Xbox 360 running Halo. They serve some food, but it's not worth remembering, and there's breaks in-between interviews where they very much discourage you from discussing any of the questions being asked.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult about the technical questions, I came from a public school in CA near the start of my JR year, and by the end of the year every type of question that was asked was covered in class. They don't look for the absolute best answer, as long as it's not overly complicated.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Did one interview with me on campus, and then flew me out for a weekend. While there I was interviewed by 4 or 5 different people. Once the interviews were done, I waited (along with a group of others who were interviewing) for decisions to be made. As we left they gave offers to some of us.

Interview Questions
    • How would you create an algorithm to sort wine?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Had an interview on undergraduate school campus and then was flown to seattle for an on campus interview. While in seattle, they had put me in the wrong group so I was being interviewed by test/developers who were not prepared to ask PM questions. But over all all of the interviewees were very nice and easy to talk to which was good.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an algorithm for an elevator control system   Answer Question

Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Microsoft process professional but slow. After initial interview screen they loop 2 to 3 candidates for a position. You meet with 3-4 people that work with the position you're applying. If the interview is going well they will let you know you will be meeting with additional person that wasn't on the initial interview list. This is normally the "AA "As Appropriate" They normally have 7-10 years experience at the company are director level or above. Normally they are your hiring managers skip level but not always. This interview is to look beyond the job you're applying and they want to figure out if you're a long term fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • What is a product you love but is marketed very badly? How would you market it differently?   Answer Question
    I held out for signing bonus 15% of salary.

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the hiring process.
    After submitting my resume on Microsoft.com/jobs, I did not hear from the team I applied to. But within a week, I was contacted by a different team about a job that was a better fit. There was a technical phone screen which included homework to write code and email it in. Then I was invited to fly to Redmond for an interview. I met with six interviewers in one day, which included my manager, a couple peers, and a direct report. It was a grueling day, but there were no big surprises or questions I was not prepared for. During the interviews, it became clear to both me and to the interviewers that I was qualified for more than the position they were hiring for. They had the flexibility to change the scope of the job (and the level) to better fit my qualifications.
    The whole process - from first visiting the web site to getting an offer took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • There was a detailed technical question about a test strategy for a complex system built with a domain-specific language. When I answered in general terms, the interviewer kept pressing for more specifics and detailed examples. I finally realized that she didn't really understand the problem. I confronted her with "This is your job, isn't it? And you don't know how to do it!" She admitted I was right.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for special needs on a relocation package.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!