Microsoft Interview Questions in Washington State

3.2

1,336 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward asked a lot of question about my experience. Understanding of how to design an application is important. 4 interviews total after the initial phone screen.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. One telephonic round and then 5 onsite rounds. Interview included solving one coding question, and then testing it. Focused more on how to would I test the code, and debug it.

Interview Questions

• * Merge two sorted linked list. The merged list should also be sorted.
      * Compact a string. i.e remove spaces
      * traverse a link list containing char* as data. test cases for the same.
      * reverse a string. test cases for the same.
      * remove all the given characters from a string.

Answer Question

Product Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter found my resume on careerbuilder.com and contacted me regarding a phone interview. I was asked questions such as what my favorite piece of technology is and what do I like about Microsoft, the rest of it consisted of her talking about the benefits of the job. About 2-3 weeks later I was contacted by a manager and we scheduled a 1-1 interview. The interview was very chill, we sat one bench outside of the store. I was asked a few questions regarding my prior work experience and my personal life(school,interests). The rest of the interview was about the training process and the benefits that come with the job, overall a very easy interview. As I was driving back home I received a call saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The wage offered was $13.50 and I accepted that.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Referred by friend. Took a standard coding question on phone. 2 days on-site interview. 1 day for HR only, 1 day for techniques. 2 Technique interview, 1 lunch, then told me you'd better begone.

I was very unlucky. I know senior guys in Microsoft tend to ask puzzles, I met a senior like this. Furthermore, he was in VERY BAD MOOD. Because of Friday? My current job is despised like a baby game for him. He kept yelling why you do NOT know this windows system function, why you do NOT answer my question in the way I like. And he explained his work with a stupid pride.

Overall, background not matching. Completely waste of time. But it is my fault at first place. I should not even apply, as a pure Linux application developer and Windows-hater. More sadly, all the technical questions in the first 5 pages of Glassdoor Microsoft interview are not asked. So it is hard to know how to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Write 4 locker functions: acquire_read_lock, acquire_write_lock, release_read_lock, release_write_lock. Use Windows specific helper functions. 1 more brain teasing puzzle.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Screening call, flight to WA, sequential interviews up the chain until someone says no.
    The destroyer: hr sent me paperwork with instructions. The instructions? Wrong. Wrong building, wrong contact. When I called the HR contact (who was supposed to meet with me first and go over what to expect), I was connected to someone in Israel with the same name. Luckily, the person from Israel called back and explained. When I finally got to my first interview, I was admonished for being late. I survived 2 more, but no further. Very disappointed.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

2 phone calls, one 45 minutes, the other 30 minutes, follow up interview with team in person. Pretty standard topics regarding my professional experiences, aspirations, the makeup of the team, and what it's like to work at Microsoft.
    Interviewed with a person actually in the role, and after pushing him about what he did on a day to day basis, he (seemingly reluctantly) admitted "mostly spreadsheets and powerpoints."

Interview Questions

• What do you think the main profit drivers are for the Xbox division?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

This was an internal interview process, so it started with an informational with the hiring manager (~1hr discussion around what the team does, what my current responsibilities were, and why I was interested in the position). Next, there were 3 technical interviews, all about an hour long. Finally, there was a interview with the Engineering Director for that group - that lasted 1.5 hours, and we discussed why I thought I would be a good fit for that team.

Interview Questions

• Imagine a random distribution of water droplets spread across the whiteboard, design an algorithm to create the maximal enclosed area by connecting the water droplets with lines.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

5 rounds of interviews.Each interview with one interviewer and one hour.From 9:00 to around 2:20.
    3rd interview is lunch interview.First interview,the question is more difficult than I thought.So we need a clear mind before interacting with the interviewer.Lunch interview,the first 30 mins is lunch and basic questions about experience and interest.This is a good time to show how interested you are in the team.Every round of interview is about 2 algorithm questions and lunch interview has one question.Basically they can ask anything.You need to explain how you approach this question and your solution before you start programming.

Interview Questions

• multiply 2 numbers without using * sign   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

There was a initial phone interview and then there is an on-site interview.
    The on-site interview was in 3 parts each increasing in difficulty.
    1.) basic introduction and a simple problem
    2.) question related to the group's work
    3.) A design question.

Interview Questions

• 1.) find a first repeating string in a large text file.
      2.) Check if the given cordinates on a map correspond to the correct address (where address or cordinates are provided in a tab separated file)
      3.) Design a game like angry birds