Millennium Pharmaceuticals Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.1

Senior Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 staff members and human resources. Human Resources ran the show rather than the people in the group who I would have been working for. Strange I thought.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with pharma rather than patients. How will you transition yourself?   Answer Question

Senior Clinical Data Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I was brought in for an interview quickly and an offer was made shortly thereafter.

Negotiation

Easy and fair negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

Very well organized process beginning with HR phone screen, phone interview with the hiring manager, and 2 rounds of onsite interviews. First onsite was with teams selected by the hiring manager, and the hiring manager. The 2nd was really just an intro to his boss for a stamp of approval.

Interview Questions

• I really didn't encounter a question I would call difficult or unexpected. The interviewers explored my background for more insight into my expertise and how I work in teams.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy. The offer was competitive and I was able to negotiate an extra week of vacation.

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in August 2012.

Interview

I gave a presentation of my dissertation research first thing in the morning. This was followed by a short Q & A concerning the research presented. I then met with the director of the group, followed by various members of the group. The atmosphere was relaxed. I did wear a suit to the interview. I never felt as if I was being interviewed, rather I proceeded to have interesting conversations with at least 5-7 people (these were supposed to be interviews). The topics ranged from the work I do currently to them speaking to their current needs. They were really great about inserting lab tours into the day. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my offer because it was on the high end of what I was expecting. I was also given relocation. If I could do it over again I would have tried to negotiate a sign on bonus as most of the apartments in the Boston area require upwards of 10,000 to in deposits and fees upfront. This is very difficult to accommodate as one makes the transition between graduate school and the first job.

Senior Bio Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

One phone interview with hiring manager, then one day of meeting rest of team, including giving a presentation

Interview Questions

• No difficult technical questions - only needed to answer questions about the lunch presentation   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation was possible

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in March 2011.

Interview

My friend forward my CV to hiring manager and the phone call initiated by the hiring manager. Everything went well until I go for the on-site interview. The interview process was very long while professional. I got a phone-call from the recruiter asking for references after the on-site interview. 2 weeks later, when I did follow-up just to find out i did not get the offer.

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in March 2011.

Interview

1. HR contacted by phone 2. Hiring manager contacted by phone 3. whole day interview 4. a few more telephone interviews with the hiring manager 5. second interview with different folks - a half day 6. follow-up phone interview. I think the whole process took 4-5 months.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

About a month after I applied I received a call from an HR Manager. There was a brief introduction about the company. I was told of the position, the background, and exactly what responsibilities the position entails. The HR Manager was getting a feel for my level of interest in the position and If I would be able to handle the position. After I informed him that I felt the position was a fit he advised me of the next steps. Who I would be in contact with and what to emphasize in the next round. At the same time I informed the HR manager that I had a couple other interviews in the final stages and would probably receive an offer soon. He took the initiative to expedite the process which is usually unheard of. We agreed on a time frame of two weeks for Millennium to try and come up with an offer or not.

The second interview took place a few days later. It was a phone interview with a Department Manager that I would be interacting with, but not necessarily working under. The interview was a standard, how will you fit in this role, and what skills can you bring to Millennium type of interview. The interview went extremely well and I was told I would be in contact with the HR Manager again.

The next day I received a call from the HR manager and he informed me that there would be a full day of interviews on site in Cambridge the following week. By this time I received an offer from another company and informed the HR manager. I pushed back my deadline so I could finish the interview process with Millennium. MPI was very accommodating and took every measure to ensure they would have a decision by the end of the week I interviewed on site.

There were 4 interviews in total lasting from 9:00 am - 2:00pm. I was given an agenda and met with the Hiring Manager, the Director of the Department, met face to face with the HR Manager, and I had lunch with two of my potential co-workers I would be working alongside. I felt the interviews went great. I was in stiff competition with one other candidate that had a few more years of experience than I. I was informed of this by the HR Manager during our conversations on the phone.

Unfortunately I did not receive an offer, but I was totally blown away by the professionalism of the HR staff and the Managers that I interacted with. I received a personal phone call informing me of their decision, in time for me to accept the other offer I had received. This straight forward, open communication approach should be implemented by all companies HR departments during the Hiring phase.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Millennium Pharmaceuticals in May 2012.

Interview

While this position was not a good fit, I had an excellent experience with Millennium. All of the staff whom I encountered were extremely professional. During my phone screen with the hiring manager, we covered technical fit and cultural fit. I was very impressed by Millennium and its culture.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager asked me to tell him about a project I'd worked on (unrelated to oncology).   Answer Question