Milliman Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.8

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Milliman.

Interview

I had a phone interview first with two hiring managers, then when i went in for an in person I met with 5 consultants individually, and analysts in the company. it was over a span of 3 hours. I loved talking to all of them, they were very friendly and very easy to talk to. Also, they interested in getting to know me to see how i would fit with the people in the company as well as in the company.

Interview Questions

• what were my career goals?
      How are my computer skills and my ability to learn computer programs?

Answer Question

Benefits Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Milliman (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone interview. It was much more of just calling to schedule an in person interview. Very easy conversation and questions. The in person interview consisted of a math test, microsoft word test, and microsoft excel test. All three were very easy. Then the in person interview was with two representatives, supervisors to the job. Very typical and easy questions.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Milliman.

Interview

I was told about the job by an actuarial recruiter. The montage video system asked very basic questions. After that, I was asked to have a phone interview with the Principal. I'm going to Indianapolis next week.

Interview Questions

• After working for Milliman for 2 years, how would you define success?   1 Answer

Actuarial Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Milliman in May 2015.

Interview

Had he phone interview with a Milliman employee. The interview lasted about 15 minutes and was very general and basic. It was for the healthcare department so there was one or two questions related to that specifically. The questions were mostly why do you want this position, why Milliman, etc. Nothing was overly tricky since it was only a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what is the most useful Excel function?   Answer Question

Actuarial Student Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Milliman in March 2015.

Interview

I filmed myself answering a series of questions per their request. I was summoned for an in-person interview not long thereafter. A month after the in-person interview, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell us about your proficiency with Microsoft Excel
      2. Tell us about a time you had to explain a difficult concept to a co-worker. Explain how you went about doing this.

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Milliman.

Interview

Phone screen was typical questions (strengths, weaknesses, career goals, specific job experiences). Standard consulting interview. Behavioral interviews (plenty of "Tell me about a time when..." questions). Case study. Day long project. This is as normal of an interview process as exists. The whole process was pretty quick and straightforward, only took a few weeks between submitting resume and receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Read anything on the internet about standard consulting interview questions.   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Milliman (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

At first glance, it seems like a great, refreshing, personal and "old school" idea to have candidates completely bypass the dreaded electronic application and resume submission abyss, by making direct contact. However, considering the company isn't public, this can leave plenty of room for bias and unfair hiring practices--almost like a country club admissions process.

Ultimately, after what seemed like a potential opportunity (for which I am very qualified), the "gatekeeper" went from being extremely positive, responsive and engaged, to acting like I didn't exist. Like I Never happened. Odd and disenchanting to say the least.

I rarely get discouraged, as there are always other opportunities to explore, but with an un-monitored and seemingly arbitrary hiring process like theirs, it's not worth my dignity or talent to keep pushing the issue. I'm a believer in spotting "signs" of long-term trouble.

Hint: Check out the profile for the local office of interest to make sure you "fit in" before applying.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Milliman (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. He submitted my resume and I was contacted to do a Montage video interview in which you post video replies to 10 common interview questions. I was called in for an in-person interview 2 weeks later. The in-person interview was very laid back. I had ample opportunity to ask questions about the position, the healthcare consulting field and Milliman. I met with 5 different actuaries over a 4 hour period and most asked about my programming experience. This was perhaps the best interview that I have ever been to. I met with two Equity Principals and they focused on informing me of the culture and the ethics of the company and their own personal views on traits the candidate should have. It was really informative.
    I went away feeling great about the interview and I had an offer that night.

Interview Questions

• My first question was "We've already seen your video, and that covers most of the interview questions. What questions do you have for us?"   1 Answer

Actuarial Interview

Interview

2 rounds of interviews--1 phone and 1 on-site. Interview questions were mostly behavioral. People were nice. Questions: describe a teamwork experience, tell us how you solved a conflict between you and your teammates, tell us your weakness.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Milliman (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

The following information pertains to the Denver Health Practice ONLY. Interviews at other Milliman practices may be completely different.

After sending a cover letter and resume, I was asked to fill out a work history form. This form served as a sort of pre-interview; and contained behavioral questions as well as a survey about my values and priorities. Then came a brief phone screening, followed by an intense 3-day round of interviews. There were long pauses in between each step (over a month each).

The on-site interview process was much more rigorous than I was expecting; I think I was in one-on-one interviews for a total of 12-15 hours. They asked every possible question you might think of, so prepare, prepare, prepare.

I was also asked to give an hour-long presentation on a healthcare topic, which I was purposefully not warned about beforehand. This was meant to simulate a real-life pressure situation which an actuarial consultant might face.

The whole process was very taxing and stressful, but I gather that that's the name of the game in actuarial consulting.

Interview Questions

• There's no way I could prepare you adequately here. They asked me hundreds of questions. None were that unusual, but you've got to be ready for every question in the book.   Answer Question