Mills College Interview Questions & Reviews

6 interviews

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Typical for academia. A round of in person interviews at a national meeting and then an on-campus interview. Application required extra narratives as compared to other schools.

Interview Questions
    • How will you manage to keep your research progressing at a small college?   Answer Question

Head Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mills College.

First, I was contacted by the school secretary to schedule an interview. Then I had a panel interview that consisted of the head of the school, teachers, parents, and a faculty member from the college. After my first interview I was called for a second interview, that included a sample lesson, and told to prepare for a certain grade, then later emailed to prepare for a different grade. When I showed up for my second interview, I was told I was indeed going to do the sample for the original grade they emailed me about. I quickly need to tailor my pre-planned lesson for the third time. After the lesson, which went very well, I had an additional interview. After several weeks, I emailed the head of the school about the status of my application, and she never wrote back.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you overcame an obstacle, and how you did it.   Answer Question

Communications Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Mills College in August 2011.

Friendly supervisors who are genuinely interested to learn about your professional and academic background. I was asked questions regarding my past experience with social media and marketing for an economic development firm I interned at earlier that summer. They asked me some behavioral questions and were interested to know about my international background.

Interview Questions
    • There were no such difficult questions - just my comfort in web design and using social media tools   Answer Question

English Composition and Rhetoric Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Mills College in April 2010.

In fact, the position did not require a formal interview. I'd had a TA position the year before, and prior teaching experience that was all listed on my resume, and I provided more detailed information about my experiences and goals regarding teaching. The MFA program is pretty small, and I'm sure the faculty and staff members either knew me firsthand or by reputation. Fewer first year students receive TA positions than second year students, but I received a position both years, first for the Place for Writers, then for the Composition and Rhetoric TA position.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe your interest in teaching.   View Answer
    The only element of the position that is negotiable is the times and days you work, and the second semester placement in either the Writing Center or for a second semester in the classroom as a TA--which there are only a couple spots for.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mills College in September 2010.

I responded to an online posting for the job and filled out a template application form, as required. I was a bit unhappy that the application required me to agree to a credit check - this even before the first interview. That is very presumptuous on the part of the employer. Also, they required the names, titles, and phone numbers of 3 references, also before even one interview.

A comprehensive screening phone interview opened the process.

I then spent 3 hours with the hiring manager and her immediate supervisor.

They both were fairly congenial and I felt comfortable discussing the job, my background, and their expectations with them at that point.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult or unexpected questions at this point in the process   Answer Question

Visiting Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Mills College in March 2009.

I interviewed with two members of the department and was hired one week later. Other candidates were similarly qualified, but I was chosen based on personality and experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with the diversity of our students?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Salary based on number of courses being taught.

Worked for Mills College? Contribute to the Community!