Mills Fleet Farm Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hudson, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hudson, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm.

After applying in store, a call was received after a week. A 1 on 1 in store interview was first to be completed. After the interview, there was also a multiple choice personality test of about one hundred questions.There were no negotiations over pay, as this was an entry level cashier job in high school.

Front End Lead/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevens Point, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevens Point, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm.

Applied online and within a week I was called and an interview was set up with the Assistant Manager. I was ignored by the customer service desk where I was to check in; finally a cashier asked if I needed help. I was sat down in a chair that was clearly in the way of those going up and down the staircase. The assistant manager was one of the coldest people I've met.

Not sure if he had no personality or what, but he read the questions off a script and jotted down things he wanted in pencil. His eye contact was only on his desk, not me as a person or as a potential employee.

Interview Questions
    • Who was you most disliked supervisor and why?   View Answer
    • Would you go back to work for any of your employers if they asked you?
      How do you feel if we asked you to work every weekend if need be?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ankeny, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm.

Applied online
    Got a call back And set up interview time
    Interview was fairly relaxed
    Interviewer was friendly
    interview lasted around 30 minutes
    Couple days later they called and gratuitously offered me the job
    I gratuitously accepted the job offer
    Then you fill out a bunch of online on boarding forms

Interview Questions
    I dint attempt to negotiate because they were starting me higher than I had initially requested.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in April 2014.

Didnt even bother to finish application..... Are we still in the stone age??????????? Asks you to upload resume, but then makes you do entire application without auto fill from resume. Thats fine, but then why ask for resume? Ridiculous

Interview Questions
    • The application was the most overkill I have ever seen. I have been in management for a number of years, and I cant imagine requiring someone to tke this amount of time to fill out an application online. wow. Worst application I have ever filled out bar none!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in March 2014.

The interview was long, but easy. The questions were the typical interview questions, but it's pretty much every interview question there is. The interviewer was nice, and they did call all my references. I heard back from them and was hired all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • It's basic interview questions, such as, "What would you consider your biggest weakness?" and "How would you describe your personality?".   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in September 2013.

I applied online and was called about a week later to arrange a one-on-one interview with a manager, about a week after that.

It was a pretty stress-free interview. Took about 30 minutes. The manager had a list of questions he read off a paper: Why I wanted to work at Fleet Farm, what do you expect from an employee, is there any reason that it's ok to be late for work... The questions are pretty easy. I was never asked about how I would deal with a difficult customer, like they do for other retail jobs.

I was also given 3 or 4 stapled sheets of paper with a list of responsibilities the job would entail - helping customers, keeping shelves stocked, keeping whatever section I was working in clean, learning to drive a forklift, etc. Simple enough tasks.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the job because I didn't have any references outside of my family (this would have been my first job).

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question for me was to recall a time where I failed at something and how I dealt with it. The way it was worded made it sound as if the "failure" I needed to recall was something major. I'm not a risk taker so I didn't really have an answer for it. Thankfully, the interviewer said it was ok if I didn't have an answer for some of the questions.   Answer Question

Automotive Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in May 2013.

Through a headhunter, I was recruited to manage the entire Automotive categories. First I was required to fill out an application by hand, and fax it in. On the day of the phone interview, I was speaking to senior managment through the speaker phone. One guy asked all the questions while the 2nd one would periodically interject. It felt like an interrogation by the police. For every answer I gave, the second guy would parce my words or point out what was perceived as a contradiction. "How do you negotiate?" "What is a typical day?" "What percentage do you do X or Y in the course of the day?" Their tone was deadly serious.

They billed them selves as a fun company with loyal employees.

As a Category Manager, I would be expected to show up to work at 7AM and work through 545PM, and work Saturdays from 8AM to Noon. There is a chain of command that a CM would follow, and a CM could not have direct access to collaborate with store personnel except for designated managers. Maybe once or twice a year, a CM may get permission to visit their 32 locations.

Before the interview, I spoke to one of my suppliers who calls on this family run business who emulates their business model off Wal-mart. The supplier forewarned me that it is a very rigid environment. Vendors are discouraged from even having lunch with employees because it might pervert objectivity.

At the end of the interview, I felt that I had been subjected to a sterile environment, and hadn't even made it to an on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a typical day. What percentage to you truly negotiate? Tell us about what you know about Mills.   Answer Question

Receiving/Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ankeny, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in April 2013.

The interview process seemed to start off like any other normal job interview. One thing that I noticed right from the start was that the Assistant Manager never did crack a smile the entire time. I thought to myself, "If he is this unhappy in his career, what kind of environment does he really work in?" I arrived around 20 minutes early before my scheduled interview time, and the Assistant Manager seemed unsettled by this with him saying, "You're early!" I responded by saying, "Yes, I like to be prompt." He said Mills Fleet Farm has a problem with employees showing up for work late, or not showing up at all, which when I arrived early for my interview I would have though it would have impressed him. But it seemed to do just the opposite. Like I was interrupting his freetime? I mean, there was no other candidates in the room waiting to be interviewed? Again I thought to myself, " I'm early, let's get the ball rolling, why wait?"

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to leave the job you had 20 years ago?   View Answer

Point of Sales Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm.

Interview was mainly aimed at personal responses. Content didn't feel as important to the interviewer as was your attitude, confidence and speed of train of thought

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate price to $1.50 over minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mills Fleet Farm in August 2012.

interview was just asking about my past work history, skills, strengths, weaknesses, asked a couple questions on encounters with customers and how I would deal with them. Affect of interviewer (manager jason) was upbeat, and not neutral which made it easier to act the same. I was then called back a couple days later and hired, and started the following week

they said "we want to hire you as a cashier for $8.5 an hour, do you accept?"