Mimecast

2.7

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mimecast in December 2012.

Phone, in person

straight forward

Enterprise Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mimecast in January 2014.

Was talked into this Interview by a recruiter. Although, at least 3 other recruiters seem to have the same role as well as Mimecast advertising directly.

Attended the Interview and the 1st alarm bell to ring was their visitors book which was full of familiar (and some very talented) names in local ICT sales going back months.

Interview started with a general intro and chit chat about background and then went rather quickly into what seemed to be nothing more than an attempt to pump me for information regarding key customers they are targeting locally.

Amusingly, despite being told they were already trading (and doing great business) with Dimension Data at the beginning of the interview the country manager (who apparently forgot he'd said it) then had a lot of questions about how they should target Dimension Data and who my local contacts were.

Unfortunately, The local management team are all UK ex-pats who have no background in the local ICT market and their strategy seems to be limited to pointing out that they aren't Symantec and to hire sales staff who can effectively walk them into their key target accounts via relationships

Mimecast play in a very competitive space and while they are talking big OTE $$$ I would consider it to be a hard place to make money at least in the next couple of start-up years but a very easy place for a sales person to be left wearing the blame for poor results once the honeymoon is over.

Added to that it seems all very casual, I was actually told by the country manager during the interview that he was in "no hurry to hire anyone" which begged the question as to why I was sitting there and only enhanced the feeling they are just tyre kicking.

Interview Questions
    • None really, With the large number of good sales people they have seen thus far the interview seemed to be nothing more than a free information gathering session on the local landscape for their benefit rather than a job interview.   View Answer

Sales and Marketing Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mimecast in January 2013.

The hiring process is slow and usually there are 4 interviews. Although for this position I only went through 2. Mimecast has an induction and education process which is extremly detailed and you have to show management you understand the ins and outs before you will be let anywhere near a customer.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Mimecast in November 2011.

First was the phone interview with quite an interesting guy. No technical questions for some reason. Just some personality/background probing.

Then interview in an office with some department leads. Can't remember any technical questions again, just more of the same - personality/background/experience, describe previous projects, what drives you etc.

At the end they said i wasn't passionate enough and i'm not really sure what were they meaning by that. First i'm generally perceived as a pleasant person to talk to. And I've asked the guy on the phone a lot of things about the company and the work process, it was quite interesting and i was excited. Then those 2 guys with questions they're asking on any interview, far from interesting. They haven't done anything to make me want to work in the company.

So i have a feeling they're not interested in professionals, they're interested in young passionate devs who are desperate to be hired by anyone really and can work for peanuts.

So if you want to work there - smile a lot and don't forget to jump with excitement from time to time, no matter how good you are, that helps.

Interview Questions
    • Describe me the architecture of the previous project you were working on.   Answer Question

Pre-Sales SE Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mimecast in May 2010.

Horrible company, stay away! Muliple phone interviews followed by on-site face to face. I was forced to do puzzles and other strange "interviewing techniques". Completely unprofessional. When asked what my present salary was they actually laughed in my face. Puzzles after 20 years of experience?

.NET Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mimecast in April 2010.

Interview process is very relaxed and does not have book questions. They are mostly interested in your problem solving skills and very deep knowledge of technologies in common. They are not looking for wizard monkeys who only know how to create solutions from templates in Visual Studio and not using just microsoft stack. The .NET server side positions are incredibly interesting and technologically challenging.

Interview Questions
    • nothing in particular, most answers rely on your personal coding experience   Answer Question
    i didn't negotiate at that stage