Mimi's Cafe Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

2.0

Hostess Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe.

I applied for a position as a hostess after an unsuccessful foray into the insurance sales field. I had lost my car and i really didn't have many options.

The application process was quick and painless. I received a call for an interview the very next day. The interview was pleasant and professional. The store manager did seem to have an interest in my background but most of the questions didn't feel very relevant (in my opinion) to the job I was applying for. I was blatantly told that this position was a hostess position and there would be no opportunity to advance into serving or any other job in the restaurant. I didn't express y displeasure with that scenario, largely because I was desperate for work.

It took about a week before I heard back from anyone, then the store manager reached out to me personally to let me know that they weren't offering me a position because they felt I was overqualified for the job. I believe I got that call because I knew someone working at the restaurant - they had referred me. I don't know that it was common practice.

About a week later I received another call from the store manager wanting to know if I could start work immediately. Apparently the other hires didn't pan out.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a hostess after working the types of jobs you have in the past?   Answer Question

CM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in November 2010.

First there is the initial interview then 2 more with various members of management. After hired you go through orientation and training for 6 weeks. Then you are finally placed in a home store.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Upland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upland, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in June 2012.

I had been referred to Mimi's by a corporate recruiter that I had met at a college expo. I had originally interviewed with her at their corporate office in Irvine where I was asked about long term goals, salary expectations, and my experience as well as education and possibility of longevity with the company after finishing college. Then interviewed at a local Mimi's Cafe.

Interview Questions
    • Not a lot of behavioral based questions, more about experience   Answer Question

Host Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fountain Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in April 2014.

I didn't know anyone who worked at this Fountain Valley, CA location. I submitted my application to the hiring manager named Renee and she gave me an interview on the spot. It was about 10 questions and lasted about ten minutes. At the end she said (cause i've never had a job before) "was this your first interview?" And I said no, about the 5th one. And she said "well you did well!" and I was thinking "yeah right, lady!" Then she said, her assistant managers would look over my application and she would get back to me next week.

Questions I was asked:

Why do you want to work at a restaurant and why do you want to be a hostess?
    What brings you to Mimi's?
    Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
    Are you an organized person?
    If you were working at the host stand and not much was going on/it was slow, what would you be doing?
    Have you dined at Mimi's before?
    What're your favorite classes that you're taking at _____ college? And why?
    What are you planning to do with your major at _____ college? And why?
    Will you be transferring to a state college anytime soon? Will it be a local college?
    How many hours and days a week are you able to work?
    Are you willing to work weekends?
    Are you willing to work holidays?

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at a restaurant and why do you want to be a hostess?   View Answer
    • What're your favorite classes that you're taking at _____ college? And why?   View Answer
    • What are you planning to do with your major at _____ college? And why?   View Answer

Actually I haven't gotten an offer yet, I just got back from the interview. I just wanted to post it right away for those who need the questions.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe.

I went through five different interviews in the process. All but one were phone interviews. The process itself took well over a month from beginning to end. Had to complete online testing which I do not believe is required. Typical background checks are completed as well.

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe.

For the last several years, management has pretty much hired anyone with a pulse. If you can speak English and learn the basics of serving you're almost guaranteed to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Would you have any interest in becoming a manager some day?   View Answer

Hostess, Busser, Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westminster, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in June 2012.

I printed an job application online, filled it out, and submitted it to a local Mimi's Cafe. It was passed onto the manager by a employee. The next day, I received a call asking for me to come in for an interview. The manager was very friendly and interpersonal, and not intimidating at all. Interview questions included, "Tell me about yourself," and "What my duties were at my previous workplace?" The interview itself only lasted maybe 5-8 minutes. Immediately, she offered the job.

Interview Questions
    If they see a spark in you at the interview, they will be prompt to offer you the job. Be friendly, articulate, and assertive. You'll get the job.

Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McAllen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in April 2008.

It all depends on you. If they see you have a spark, they'll think of hiring you from the moment you fill in the application. They don't really care much about experience, since for them a long list of jobs means a long list of failures. They want to see attitude, style, and personality. During the interview, talk about your dreams and goals, about furthering your career in the future. Don't talk much about all the jobs you've had and things you've done.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   View Answer
    They have a fixed pay rate. If you get promoted, you get a higher rate. Also depends on the type of responsibilities you have, for example aside from being a waiter, are you also a bartender or a trainer.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in October 2008.

Responded to the job posting on Career Builder. The Marketing Coach (aka the Regional Director for most restaurants) contacted me and directed me to the site's online evaluation test. After taking that, my initial interview was with the Marketing Coach. I then returned to the restaurant for a second interview with the GM of the restaurant along with a skills test/ evaluation which I finished in the same visit. I was called later on with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • In what instance did you have to deal with a difficult employee and describe the resolution you implemented.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a guest complaint and the resolution you implemented.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was face to face with the Marketing Coach, very direct.

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in May 2008.

I sat with the manager one on one as he asked me questions about my past experience, the reasons why I wanted the job and what I expected from the opportunity. I was offered the position on the spot and the manager proceeded to tell me the duties that I would need to complete and detailed the job requirements.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult experience you faced as a server in the past?   Answer Question

Worked for Mimi's Cafe? Contribute to the Community!