Mimi's Cafe

Relevance Date Difficulty

Hostess Interview

Hostess
Upland, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in June 2012.

Interview Details – I had been referred to Mimi's by a corporate recruiter that I had met at a college expo. I had originally interviewed with her at their corporate office in Irvine where I was asked about long term goals, salary expectations, and my experience as well as education and possibility of longevity with the company after finishing college. Then interviewed at a local Mimi's Cafe.

Interview Question – Not a lot of behavioral based questions, more about experience   Answer Question

Host Hostess Interview

Host Hostess
Fountain Valley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in April 2014.

Interview Details – I didn't know anyone who worked at this Fountain Valley, CA location. I submitted my application to the hiring manager named Renee and she gave me an interview on the spot. It was about 10 questions and lasted about ten minutes. At the end she said (cause i've never had a job before) "was this your first interview?" And I said no, about the 5th one. And she said "well you did well!" and I was thinking "yeah right, lady!" Then she said, her assistant managers would look over my application and she would get back to me next week.

Questions I was asked:

Why do you want to work at a restaurant and why do you want to be a hostess?
What brings you to Mimi's?
Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
Are you an organized person?
If you were working at the host stand and not much was going on/it was slow, what would you be doing?
Have you dined at Mimi's before?
What're your favorite classes that you're taking at _____ college? And why?
What are you planning to do with your major at _____ college? And why?
Will you be transferring to a state college anytime soon? Will it be a local college?
How many hours and days a week are you able to work?
Are you willing to work weekends?
Are you willing to work holidays?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at a restaurant and why do you want to be a hostess?   View Answer
  • What're your favorite classes that you're taking at _____ college? And why?   View Answer
  • What are you planning to do with your major at _____ college? And why?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Actually I haven't gotten an offer yet, I just got back from the interview. I just wanted to post it right away for those who need the questions.

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe.

Interview Details – I went through five different interviews in the process. All but one were phone interviews. The process itself took well over a month from beginning to end. Had to complete online testing which I do not believe is required. Typical background checks are completed as well.

Server Interview

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe.

Interview Details – For the last several years, management has pretty much hired anyone with a pulse. If you can speak English and learn the basics of serving you're almost guaranteed to get the job.

Interview Question – Would you have any interest in becoming a manager some day?   View Answer

Hostess, Busser, Server Interview

Hostess, Busser, Server
Westminster, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in June 2012.

Interview Details – I printed an job application online, filled it out, and submitted it to a local Mimi's Cafe. It was passed onto the manager by a employee. The next day, I received a call asking for me to come in for an interview. The manager was very friendly and interpersonal, and not intimidating at all. Interview questions included, "Tell me about yourself," and "What my duties were at my previous workplace?" The interview itself only lasted maybe 5-8 minutes. Immediately, she offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – If they see a spark in you at the interview, they will be prompt to offer you the job. Be friendly, articulate, and assertive. You'll get the job.

Waiter Interview

Waiter
McAllen, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in April 2008.

Interview Details – It all depends on you. If they see you have a spark, they'll think of hiring you from the moment you fill in the application. They don't really care much about experience, since for them a long list of jobs means a long list of failures. They want to see attitude, style, and personality. During the interview, talk about your dreams and goals, about furthering your career in the future. Don't talk much about all the jobs you've had and things you've done.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They have a fixed pay rate. If you get promoted, you get a higher rate. Also depends on the type of responsibilities you have, for example aside from being a waiter, are you also a bartender or a trainer.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in October 2008.

Interview Details – Responded to the job posting on Career Builder. The Marketing Coach (aka the Regional Director for most restaurants) contacted me and directed me to the site's online evaluation test. After taking that, my initial interview was with the Marketing Coach. I then returned to the restaurant for a second interview with the GM of the restaurant along with a skills test/ evaluation which I finished in the same visit. I was called later on with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• In what instance did you have to deal with a difficult employee and describe the resolution you implemented.   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to deal with a guest complaint and the resolution you implemented.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was face to face with the Marketing Coach, very direct.

Server Interview

Server

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Mimi's Cafe in May 2008.

Interview Details – I sat with the manager one on one as he asked me questions about my past experience, the reasons why I wanted the job and what I expected from the opportunity. I was offered the position on the spot and the manager proceeded to tell me the duties that I would need to complete and detailed the job requirements.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult experience you faced as a server in the past?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Mimi's Cafe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mimi's Cafe interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mimi's Cafe employees and interview candidates.