Ministry of Education Singapore Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.9

General Education Officer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

They will ask about qualifications, aspirations, the usual. No point being too frank and upfront; they don't really want your opinion on the educational landscape in Singapore. Be politically correct if you want the job. Fight for change later.

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

Rude and condescending. Panel seemed uninterested, like I was asked there to fill up numbers. Rude and condescending. Panel seemed uninterested, like I was asked there to fill up numbers. Rude and condescending. Panel seemed uninterested, like I was asked there to fill up numbers.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email and a call 3 weeks later to inform me of the interview. I was supposed to prepare a 5 min class on a topic of my choice and was also informed that I need to write a short essay on the spot. Initial questions are rather straightforward. But the penal got defensive when it is my turn to ask questions. I threw tough questions but legitimate at them. E.g "What are the reason(s) for the known high turnover for teachers?" "What do you intend to do to retain teachers?" "MOE has been recruiting aggressively for the past few years. How is the quality of teachers different from 2-3 years ago and what are the steps you have taken to ensure that good teachers are recruited?" "With the tuition industry rampant, is MOE taking any steps to improve the school experience such that parents/students do not find the need to get expensive private tuition?" One of the panellists said outright that these are not issues that as a teacher, I should be concerned with. To which, I replied that I wish to know if MOE is actually tackling these issues because it shows how much the management care about the students/teachers' needs. It wasn't exactly a pleasant exchange as their defensive attitude made the conversation difficult. It is evident from their responses that MOE is not a place I want to join. It appears that they simply want yes-men/women who do not ask them difficult questions. They expect teachers to just do their jobs and stay.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard Why do you want to be a teacher? What do you understand about teaching?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in early March, got called up in April, interviewed late April 1. Essay: Discuss what you would do if you caught your HOD with a student of the opposite gender at a bus stop late at night 2. 5 minute presentation on your teaching subject: Time limit is strictly adhered to. Interviewers will mimic difficult students in a class, attempt to throw you off 3. Interview proper (3 member panel): Generally revolves about how you will handle difficult students, your colleagues if you find that they are behaving improperly. Interviewers were not very friendly. You won't have the chance to ask any questions

Interview Questions

• How will you handle difficult students?   Answer Question
    • Why teaching?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you find out that your colleague is behaving inappropriately towards another student?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore in April 2015.

Interview

20 mins essay on a topic having to do with managing work relationships followed by 10 mins lesson presentation and about 20 mins interview. Interview focused on dealing with difficult and questionable situations in staff and student relationships. Interviewers asked typical questions such as why do you want to be a teacher, what is the role of a teacher.

TeachingProgrammer (TiP) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. Received a reply almost immediately. I applied on the date of closing of application. Possibly the reason why I had a reply so promptly as they are clearing the applications. Had to get 2 referees for your applications (i.e Past teachers/mentor). During the day of interview, dresscode was office casual. Round table interview with 8 interviewees and 2 interviewers. One interviewer is a Secondary School teacher/principal. Pretty standard and simple questions asked. Everyone will have a turn to speak. To add on, interviewees were in similar courses and same Faculty as I was, albeit different School (NUS/NTU). Not very stressful I must say, however the interviewers are quite straight faced and rarely smiled.

Interview Questions

• If you were a teacher, would you allow your students to add you as friends on social media.   Answer Question

Contract Untrained Teacher (PGDE) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

Fairly standard according to recent years. You are first required to go through document verification and submission with an admin staff before being handed an essay question which you'll be given time to complete ~20mins to complete the essay. Upon submitting the essay, it will be handed to the panel of interviewers who will have time to read it before having you come in for the interview. The panel consist of 3-4 personnels, the 4th usually being a psychologist. The rest are made up of HQ staff, teachers, principals. Your interview should have a requirement to present a 5min presentation on a topic that should be related to your chosen subject to teach. The panel might act as your students. Once it is over, they will then commence the interview where they'll ask questions about you, reason for wanting to teach and if you understand the demands involved.

Interview Questions

• If a student of the opposite sex adds you on your personal Facebook account and chats with you about their problems or issues unrelated to school/subject and wants to meet, what would you do?   Answer Question

, Outdoor Classroom Interview

Application

Interview

Half day panel interview with respective teachers from the various schools at the HQ. Before the interview there was a need to do a write-up for a 3-4 days itinerary on the destination you would like to visit with the school, providing information on the purpose of the trip, activities to do with the students there, etc.

Interview Questions

• What will you do should an accident take place during the trip?   Answer Question

Human Resources Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview took about 15 min. Mainly asked about previous job experience and how to handle work stress. There were 2 rounds of interview, 1st round was with the department head, 2nd round was with direct manager.

Teacher Interview

Interview

The application is through an online portal, it takes about 4 weeks to reply. There will only be one interview with four people interviewing, including two principals, the HR director and a psychologist. It takes another 3 weeks to reply on outcomes.