Ministry of Education Singapore Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in early March, got called up in April, interviewed late April

1. Essay: Discuss what you would do if you caught your HOD with a student of the opposite gender at a bus stop late at night
    2. 5 minute presentation on your teaching subject: Time limit is strictly adhered to. Interviewers will mimic difficult students in a class, attempt to throw you off
    3. Interview proper (3 member panel): Generally revolves about how you will handle difficult students, your colleagues if you find that they are behaving improperly. Interviewers were not very friendly. You won't have the chance to ask any questions

Interview Questions

• How will you handle difficult students?   Answer Question
    • Why teaching?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you find out that your colleague is behaving inappropriately towards another student?   1 Answer

Contract Untrained Teacher (PGDE) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

Fairly standard according to recent years. You are first required to go through document verification and submission with an admin staff before being handed an essay question which you'll be given time to complete ~20mins to complete the essay. Upon submitting the essay, it will be handed to the panel of interviewers who will have time to read it before having you come in for the interview. The panel consist of 3-4 personnels, the 4th usually being a psychologist. The rest are made up of HQ staff, teachers, principals. Your interview should have a requirement to present a 5min presentation on a topic that should be related to your chosen subject to teach. The panel might act as your students. Once it is over, they will then commence the interview where they'll ask questions about you, reason for wanting to teach and if you understand the demands involved.

Interview Questions

• If a student of the opposite sex adds you on your personal Facebook account and chats with you about their problems or issues unrelated to school/subject and wants to meet, what would you do?   Answer Question

TeachingProgrammer (TiP) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. Received a reply almost immediately. I applied on the date of closing of application. Possibly the reason why I had a reply so promptly as they are clearing the applications. Had to get 2 referees for your applications (i.e Past teachers/mentor). During the day of interview, dresscode was office casual. Round table interview with 8 interviewees and 2 interviewers. One interviewer is a Secondary School teacher/principal. Pretty standard and simple questions asked. Everyone will have a turn to speak. To add on, interviewees were in similar courses and same Faculty as I was, albeit different School (NUS/NTU). Not very stressful I must say, however the interviewers are quite straight faced and rarely smiled.

Interview Questions

• If you were a teacher, would you allow your students to add you as friends on social media.   Answer Question

, Outdoor Classroom Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

Half day panel interview with respective teachers from the various schools at the HQ. Before the interview there was a need to do a write-up for a 3-4 days itinerary on the destination you would like to visit with the school, providing information on the purpose of the trip, activities to do with the students there, etc.

Interview Questions

• What will you do should an accident take place during the trip?   Answer Question

Human Resources Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview took about 15 min. Mainly asked about previous job experience and how to handle work stress. There were 2 rounds of interview, 1st round was with the department head, 2nd round was with direct manager.

Teacher Interview

Interview

The application is through an online portal, it takes about 4 weeks to reply. There will only be one interview with four people interviewing, including two principals, the HR director and a psychologist. It takes another 3 weeks to reply on outcomes.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

Applied Online. After closing date, within 1-2 Weeks , they call me up in morning for interview. Emailed me to bring the necessary documents. Panel Interview, around 4 Interviewer.
    Interview have : Short-Essay,Presentation(5 mins) then interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions:
      - Why do you want to be a teacher?
      - Challenges faced in a class
      - Are you aware of our teaching hours ?(E.g Need to bring back papers to mark after school hours etc)
      - What are you views on Tuition ?
      - Do you know about the current ____ Syllabus ? ( ____ is whichever Subject you are shortlisted for )
      - Why is there a need for ____ ? ( ____ is the subject you are shortlisted for )
      - How to deal with rowdy students?
      - If you are going to teach _____, how would you plan the lesson/how will you teach ?
      - Why is ___ important? (___ is subject.)
      - What to do if the students are not interested in subject?
      - Can teachers be friends with their students?

Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

After submitting your application, you will need to wait for the letter to invite you for an interview session with a panel. If you pass the interview, you will be offered a position for contract teaching. Upon completion of contract teaching, you will be informed if you are shortlisted for the PGDE programme in NIE (assuming you are a graduate at the point of applying to MOE). You will then be bonded for 3 years if you choose to do the PGDE programme.

Interview Questions

• The questions are relatively expected but you might be asked to demonstrate how you will conduct a lesson.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted about a month and a half later. I was called down for an interview and before the interview, I had to do a test. The test was regarding the HR role which was to answer HR inquiries based on MOE's policies. There were two situations below which they provided the relevant policy. We had to draft a response. That day, I had to wait about two hours because they were running late. However, they apologized and explained it was the first time they encountered this. The interview was with a panel of four, however two of them were simply note taking. The questions were mostly regarding my resume and what were my ideal career and public sector role. In the end, I think both the interviewers and I realized this role might be too mundane and unsatisfactory but it ended on a positive note.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in such a routine and boring role after all the problem-solving roles you have done? Why MOE?   Answer Question

Teaching Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the diploma in education programme. Was contacted within 3 weeks of applying and had an interview arranged. I had to prepare a five minute presentation beforehand catered to primary school children, and there was a writing test before the interview.

There were 4 interviewers in the panel, two ladies and two gentlemen. Interview went well, the panel was friendly but constantly took down notes at every answer I gave. They threw many controversial scenario questions at me. They also asked if I knew of any recent MOE policies.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student of the opposite sex is feeling upset and wants to meet you outside of school?   Answer Question

Could not make it for proficiency test.