Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore Foreign Service Officer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

4.4

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Foreign Service Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore.

Applied through MFA website, got the interview after 1 week. Only made it through the first stage of interview

Stage 1 of the FSO selection process encompasses the following:

(1) Briefing on a career as an FSO in MFA (est. 30 min)
(2) Roundtable discussion (est. 45 min) - discuss about international and internal politics, HR personal will observe you during the discussion
(3) A series of psychometric tests (est. 4 hours)- consist of a written skill test, analysis test, written essay, reasoning test, situational judgement test

Other Interview Reviews for Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Applied online through MFA website. Got a call from HR within a week to schedule the 1st round selection process.

10 candidates attended the 1st round selection which consisted of a series of psychometric test and a round table discussion. The whole session was from 9.30am till pm.

MFA is pretty efficient and will get back to you within a week if you manage to get to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions
    • None. Typical questions such as why do you want to join MFA.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online – interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore in June 2014.

I applied online and only made it to the first day of the 2 day selection tests.

At the first round there are 6 tests altogether.

Not in order:
    1) Editing test - Consist of a passage with many errors which you have to identify and provide suggestions for
    2) Essay test - 30mins. My question: Evaluate social media as a tool for government outreach.
    3) Comprehension test - A passage will be given for you to read and answer a series of true/false questions based on what you think is the author's opinion. The second part of this test needs you to assess Singapore's situation and answer true/false questions, based on the opinions of the author.
    4) Verbal reasoning test - Personally I think this is the hardest of them all. There are 80 questions to be done in 30-40mins. Some questions are like 'If all days are rainy. Some rainy days are boring. Are all days boring?' Something like that. Some parts involve reading short passages for you to determine whether the statements proposed there after can be logically deduced.
    5) Situational judgement test (No time limit) - Presented with a few scenarios where you will need to judge on a scale of 1-6 how appropriate were the character's actions.
    6) Values essay (No time limit) - Question: Please share with us your values and how they are observed through your work
    7) Discussion session - One round of introduction to state where you graduated from and what you studied in university. Then, HR asked any of us to bring up any current international affairs to discuss. HR will observe you during this time.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

At the first round there are 6 tests altogether.

Not in order:

The session took the whole day and was very exhausting. Between each test, there was only a 5mins break. There is quite a distance from the nearest bus stop to the location and it is an upward slope, so be prepared to include enough buffer time for arrival.

Interview Questions
    • The verbal reasoning test is the most difficult. The format changes every 10 questions, so the time limit includes reading multiple sets of instructions and examples. The need to work fast is imperative.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore in March 2012.

After submitting my online application, it took around 2 weeks for them to get back to me for the first round of assessments. The first round was a group assessment of around 15 participants which included some writing and analysis tests, and a roundtable discussion. Subsequently, I was shortlisted for an assessment centre 2 weeks later. 6 people were involved in the assessment centre which was a full day exercise comprising a series of tasks such as negotiations, writing a paper and some scheduling work. Finally, there was an interview with 2 Directors and another officer.

Interview Questions
    I was actually offered another job prior to MFA. As described, MFA has quite a lengthy selection process, but they tried to expedite the process for me as I had a deadline to meet.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore in January 2010.

The first round of interview consists of a group discussion and a written test. Second round is a full day of interview where you have to go through 4 "stations". 1) Analysis- given a stack of material on a fake country and have to write a foreign policy paper 2) Planning- plan the schedule of a major meetingl 3) negotiation- given a clear objective and have to negotiate with someone who is adamant 4) group debate

Tough interview and there is really no way to prepare for it except a good night sleep and a clear mind.

Third round is a fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to be relocated? How will you balance the demand of the job?   Answer Question